Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cliodhna
WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway

Green or Red Light: An Engagement Party?

Cliodhna, on March 9, 2020 at 09:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 24

Will you have an engagement party to celebrate with friends and family? Or is this something you and your fiance(e) would rather skip?

Are you green lighting an engagement party?

Green or Red Light: An Engagement Party? 1

Photo by Alcock Productions in Toronto

Next Question: First Look?

Back to the Beginning: Green or Red Light?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Casey, on March 23, 2020 at 13:12
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped this. No one was wanting to throw us one, and we were not about to plan one ourselves with all the wedding planning

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red light. The wedding day was going to be enough of a crowd for me!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Green light! We planned our own engagement party and had the best time! Because we chose to do a longer engagement (25 months), the engagement party was a fun way to get excited for the wedding even though we still had nearly 23 months between the party and the big day!

• Francesca
    Frequent user November 2020 Ontario
    Francesca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a "Meet the Family" Party. Where our immediate families got together and met. Our parents already knew each other. But we wanted our siblings to meet and what not. It was super fun. We had a lot of food and drinks! Some people did give us gifts, but it was not expected at all!

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Red light, I guess. We wouldn't have stopped anyone if they wanted to throw an engagement party for us, but we were definitely not planning/hosting one.

• Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red light. We completely skipped this, not because I wanted to, but I have social anxiety and have a hard enough time inviting people to things. Luckily my sister will be organizing the bridal shower for me.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Red light! dont need another party to pay for haha

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Green light! My mom and grandma were excited to host for us and it was a really great evening!
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red light. We decided not to do an engagement party because it costs a lot and we wanted to spend more money on the wedding.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red light as the cost as much as the wedding itself.
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We never got around to officially having one. Too many things got in the way after our engagement and then it just seemed like it had been too long

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Red light! It wasn’t something we wanted, and would be inconvenient for our guests who have to travel.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red light. We are not going to bother with it. It doesn't make sense for us. We've been engaged for a long time but just figured out date last year. Super long engagement lol
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yellow I guess. Our families got together for Canada Day last year and we called it an engagement party of sorts. But we don't want a bunch of parties.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red light - we’re moved out of province and we can’t fly back too many times
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Green Light - although FH and I did not plan to have one, our moms planned one for us. It was a lovely day.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Green light- we had one for my side of the family because DH hadn't gotten to meet quite a few of my extended family members before we got engaged.

• Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Green light - only because my sister and her husband threw us a surprise engagement party last month!

• Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Greenlight - ours was on my FHs parents property with lots of outdoor string lights.
  • Desiree
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red light! In our eyes it’s just another expense
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red light. We didn't see the point in throwing another party before our wedding.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Red light - we were together for like 10 months when I proposed and then another couple weeks until we told family since my DH wanted to ask for my Dad's permission before making it official so by the time we were telling people it seemed like old news to me Smiley tongue

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Red light - we didn't want to have a whole bunch of parties for our wedding or make people feel like they had to give us extra gifts.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, we sort of had one? We didn't label it as an engagement party, it was just a fun get together with our closest friends. FH proposed the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend, so we got together with both our families to celebrate Mother's Day on the Sunday then surprised them with the announcement, it was a engagement/Mother's Day celebration. So yellow light? lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics