Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Super September 2018 Alberta

Gift Registry necessary?

Michelle, on December 21, 2017 at 01:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 33

We are on the fence about doing a gift registry. For the wedding I am wanting to do something along the lines of a honey fund instead of physical gifts.

However, FMIL thinks we should do a Gift Registry for those that aren't fond of giving money. Yet FH and I live together, we have everything we need and cannot think of things that we need at the moment.

What are somethings you did, did you have a registry or not? If so what did you put on your registry.

33 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on December 27, 2017 at 09:06
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good ideas Smiley smile I browsed on the Bed, Batn & Beyond website and there are lots of items on there so I added things here and there to the registry.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm thinking of having a 10-15 item registry....I currently have 8 items total so not too much more to add. Besides I don't want to do too much since we want to buy our own place in the next couple years here, so less crap to move around

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We added towels and other small things that we don't really need but wouldn't mind new. We also added a few larger items that we wouldn't go out of our way to buy, like a stand mixer lol. Our prices range from $5.00 to $400 on our registry.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's exactly what I'm thinking we are going to have to do. His aunt and mom were not really on board with the idea of having it a "cash gift" only kind of thing. We pretty much have all of what we need so a registry isn't really useful for us. But we are now thinking having a significantly small one and the rest just give us money.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh ok that's fair. Those are good ideas Smiley smile thank you

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair point. Word something like "we have everything we need we would appreciate a contribution to the next step in our happily ever after, by using the funds towards a down payment for a house"?

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello, my fiancé and I are in the same situation. We put a message on our wedding website saying we have everything we need and would appreciate money so we can save for a down payment on a house. My grandma was not a fan of this idea so we made a registry of 20 items that we would like to have but do not have the money for right now such as a nice bookshelf and bar cabinet on our registry.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would just not register at all. That way most people assume you just want money and you don’t actually need to ask for it.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What did you have on your registry?

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that is where we will go check out. thank you Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup it will be a February trip haha

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha yes I haven't set foot near a mall for the last month. Definitely way too crazy for me! 😜
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We also live together and have everything you would need. I've lived on my own since I was 17 so I have purchased pretty much everything on my own since moving here. We did a honey fund and also a registry for those who like to give physical gifts just in case. We have a lot of older guests coming who would likely gift us something rather than money.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will look into that after the holidays haha going to the mall now terrifies me!

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just did our at bed bath and beyond and loved the experience there. We had a bad experience at the bay, it was too disorganized and the lady was not helpful. Also with bed, bath and beyond they have everything you can think of.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I would definitely recommend!! Bed, Bath and Beyond was great! They had a consultant with you the whole time. The Bay just let you walk around, if you know what you want then they are a good store. But if you want direction, go with a store that someone will walk around with you 😊
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never thought of going for a consultation. Maybe something to look into.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked with a couple of places and they showed us around the store and it definitely gave us better ideas on what we wanted. Honestly, we've been living together for a while too but it's a great option for people. We don't really need anything but it's always nice to upgrade lol. My wedding is in July and people have already been looking at my registry now for showers and maybe buying prior.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh didn't realize that. Hmm something to think about there
  • Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If they purchased it straight from the registry then you don't need a gift recipet because they will se that it has been purchased!

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I think I'm going to remove it, one less thing to worry about then as well.

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is your wedding, do whatever you want to do! we are not doing a registry at all but a honey moon one is a good idea!

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's fair I know the FH want's new dishes and what not but he says he has specific ones in mind. Which hinted to me, "don't put dishes on the registry."

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a registry. We don't live together, but both still have stocked kitchens. There are some larger items that we registered for, that we are hoping people will go in a gift together to get us (which my family and friends typically do). We also decided to ask for new sets of things like dishes and towels, instead of having a bunch of mis-matched dishes.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh! That's a good idea, we are renting now so we could say it would go towards the down payment for the house that we would like to own as well as honey fund.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly! And anything we need we just go an buy... and the only thing I can think of is needing like 2 things and I won't be using them any time soon either......I don't live in a big house and don't want to store things either to be honest.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's fair less things to worry about day of the wedding.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good idea Smiley smile the question is would the gift receipt be with the gift(s) haha

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am only doing a gift registry for the bridal shower, not for the wedding, because like you i have already lived in the house for so long and have everything i need. If people don't want to just give us cash, we are going tell them to give a gift card towards our deck that we are building this year. if you have a project that you are going to do on the house that might be a good alternative since they wont be just giving money to your groceries or anything lol!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were in the same spot as you. We lived together and didn't need more things. We did a honeyfund registry for my shower and it was technically still active at the time of the wedding, but we didn't put it on our invites or anything. We were content if people wanted to give a card and well wishes or money - we didn't ask for anything except people to come and celebrate with us. If people aren't fond of giving money, they'll usually give a small gift, we got a couple and it's a nice gesture. But if there is nothing you need, don't feel pressured into creating a registry for the sake of other people's comfort. Times are changing and this is pretty much the new normal. I don't think I've been to a wedding in 10 years that had an actual registry for the wedding day, just the shower.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm in the exact same position as you. I'm on the fence on what to do, we also live together and recently whenever we needed something it was gifted to us for our birthdays, and we asked for a few things for Christmas. So not sure if we will do a gift registry or not.
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We only did a gift registry for the bridal shower, nothing for the wedding. We too live together and we have european background so that usually means people don't bother carrying gifts to a wedding just cards.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics