Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Getting your marriage license

Joey, on January 9, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

One of the topics we see asked about time and time again by engaged couples is getting a marriage license. How early do I need to get one? How long is it valid for? Where do I need to go to get it? How much will it cost? What happens with the license after the ceremony? When and how will I get my marriage certificate?

If you're confused or have any questions, here's the place to share them. And be sure to take a look at advice from the pros in our series of articles about making your marriage legal!

Getting your marriage license 1

Photo by Scarlet O'Neill in Toronto

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 11, 2018 at 11:26
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The marriage license is for 3 months time from the time of registry. Each city or township ia based on a certian amount.

Once the Officiant hands the bottom portion to you after the signage, you have to wait 4 months to register for the marriage certificate once paid at the city hall or online.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We can purchases ours 3 months before the wedding date. I believe it costs $99 plus taxes.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I asked the registry office in Alberta and they said you could come in the day before and get it (I wouldn't recommend that though 😋). And I believe it's good for three months (apparently they don't specify 90 days because of 31 days in some months). And I believe the costs are between $115 and $135, I forget the exact price.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh right, both people need photo ID as well. The fee is probably similar from province to province.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The licence is good for 90 days in ON as well, though only one person needs to be there to apply for it as long as they have the ID of their joint applicant. The fee for it was $135.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I asked at the local registry in Alberta awhile back. I was told it's valid for 90 days. Both people have to be there to apply for it at their own freewill. They must speak English or have an interpreter. I didn't ask about the cost though...that would've been a good idea!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Getting the marriage license was a waiting game and getting our marriage certificate will be a waiting game. Any information you need about your marriage license or certificate can be found on your provinces website most likely.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had to wait a full 10 weeks before the registrar would even process my request for my marriage certificate. In ON you can check the progress of your order and it told me that the 10 weeks hadn't passed so it wouldn't be processed. 10 weeks to the day, my certificate was shipped out to me. Just a head's up Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics