Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Victoria
Beginner October 2021 Ontario

Friday wedding: Yay or Nay?

Victoria, on June 28, 2019 at 16:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 41
So my FH and I are looking at having our wedding in October of 2020. We've found a venue we absolutely love and is probably a bit out of our price range, but they offer an excellent deal for having a wedding on a Friday, which would put the cost more into our budget. Our thinking is that if we let people know far enough in advance it should give guests enough notice to book time off work.
What do people think about Friday weddings though? Are they acceptable or will it turn guests off too much?

41 Comments

Latest activity by Fiona, on July 23, 2019 at 20:55
  • Fiona
    Beginner March 2020 Ontario
    Fiona ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm having a Friday wedding in March 2020 for the same reason. I have been to two Friday wedding g recently I think they are becoming much more common. And as long as there is enough notcie for people I don't see an issue with it. If people want to be there they will make it happen!
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A Friday wedding is just fine IMO especially if you’re letting everyone know ahead of time. Save the money, take the deal and go for it!
  • Tammy
    Beginner December 2022 Ontario
    Tammy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your wedding, your budget, your decision. That said, you also need to be understanding if someone can't make it on a Friday. My fiance's family are still upset with us 4 yrs later that we weren't able to attend his cousin's wedding which was held on a Friday. I had just started a new job and couldn't ask for the day off and we had a new baby who had never spent a night away from us at that point and we weren't comfortable travelling so far away with her overnight someplace. Anyway, people have their reasons not to attend a Friday wedding, and you would just need to be understanding of that (esp 4 yrs later...lol). I think I read an article on here that you should expect about 50% of your guests not to attend a Friday wedding, so that's a risk you'll need to weigh.

• Sheena
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! I love Friday weddings! They keep it short and sweet as well as leave the rest of the weekend open for guests to carry on with the usual weekend activities. The main reason we didn't do a Friday one was because a bunch of our guest have to travel 3+ hours and we want to limit people having to take the day off. So where your guests are coming from may be something to consider for a Friday wedding but in all other accounts go for it!

• Jennifer
    Beginner January 2020 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree to this! Sunday weddings, unless a holiday is after, are no fun.
  • Jennifer
    Beginner January 2020 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine is on a Friday and we will be attending another wedding this August that is also on a Friday. I honestly have never minded Friday weddings as I can usually work in the morning and take off at around noon or 1, depending on how far away the venue is! The venue we chose also had an amazing deal for Friday's, but for the date range we wanted Fridays were the only available dates

Hope that puts you at ease!
  • Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if it's what you want and it makes it fit into your budget, go for it. I agree that if you plan the wedding for later in the day, even have a 5:00 ceremony supper won't be delayed too much and if you have guests that can't afford to take a whole day from work, it could accommodate them in they could still work till lunch or whenever, depending on how far they would have to travel.

• Cora
    Newbie May 2020 British Columbia
    Cora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm having mine on a Friday. I think it's a great way to save money, and honestly prefer it to getting married on a Saturday
  • Rebecca
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If its your dream wedding venue go for it! Try to have a later ceremony (4 or 430 pm) it will then allow your guest to even work a half day then, if they cant take a full day off.

• Agnes
    Newbie May 2022 Ontario
    Agnes ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as you give guests enough notice, it should be fine. A lot of people work Saturdays, too, so it may not matter to them whether it's on a Friday or Saturday. My fiancé and I ran into this same issue and asked some of our guests if having the wedding on a Friday would make it more difficult for them to attend and we discovered a lot of our family guests work weekends anyway so it didn't matter to them, they had to take time off work either way.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I's wedding will be on a Friday. Once you give your guests enough notice, they'll accommodate it if attending is a priority to them. (If it isn't, it's their loss!) My fiancé and I distributed our save-the-dates a little over a year in advance.

• Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is Friday July 10, and I specifically requested a Friday only because that leaves Saturday AND Sunday for our guests to enjoy. A lot of my family is coming from overseas so it doesn’t really matter to them, but for those of us working here, it helps having it on a Friday so that we have the rest of the weekend to spend time with our family that paid a pretty penny to make it down for us! Our reception is at 6:30pm which gives guests enough time to get home and get ready! Just to be cautious I sent everyone their save the dates a few weeks ago!
  • Piapolkadot
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    Piapolkadot ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is tomorrow, Friday July 12th!
    We sent our invites out end of Feb/early March, with an RSVP date of May 31st. Not one guest declined with work as an excuse. It helps that our ceremony is at 4:30pm and is only about 30 mins from the city most of our guests reside in, that way guests can still work a half day if needed!
  • Katherine
    Curious August 2021 Prince Edward Island
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mother actually wanted me to have a Friday wedding because having it on a Saturday “ruins people’s weekend” 😂😂 if they love you then they’ll put in for the time off or try to catch the reception or dance.
  • Kris
    Frequent user October 2019 Nevada
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A few people I know have had Friday weddings and most people showed up. Personally, as a guest I like this as I still have Sunday to do stuff or relax.
  • Fiona
    Beginner March 2020 Ontario
    Fiona ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having a Friday wedding march 2020. I have also been to three Friday weddings in the past. To be honest I kind of prefer it . I mean the wedding is Friday and the then there's still the whole weekend left! I think as long as you give your guest enough notice it shouldn't be a problem! Those who love you and want to be there will make it happen!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So many of our friends don't have a strict Mon-Fri job so the odds are that taking a Friday off would be easier than a Saturday... it may work out for some people.
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a friday wedding is totally acceptable just make sure you do save the dates and send invites maybe a little earlier than you would. Most people who work 9-5 jobs would have to book time off for a saturday too just so they don't get scheduled. So I don't think it makes a difference. But like you said it will save you money. Probably will save money with your other vendors too.
  • Marley
    Beginner May 2019 Alberta
    Marley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If possible, try to make it an evening wedding so that people can come after work! There are lots of ways to work photos around that - doing a first look, doing a cocktail hour where you sneak out for photos, are just some ideas.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a Friday wedding is a great idea. If people really want to be there, they will make the time Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s fine. Friday weddings are becoming more popular. I would rather attend a Friday wedding than a Sunday one.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say Yay, if it works better for you then that's all that matters. As someone else has already said that the important people in your life will be there for you no matter the day.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s not for me personally but I don’t see a problem with it as a guest! It might be harder if the wedding is further from where I live or work but overall I wouldn’t say no to a wedding just because it’s a Friday Smiley smile

A lot of our guests would probably leave early after working all day, and for the out of town guests they would have to make more days off of work so a Saturday worked better for us.
  • Nikki
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is on Friday, October 25th 2019. So far we've had no issues with our guests. In my opinion, the important people will come regardless of the day of week. And who doesn't love an excuse to have a short work week? 😋
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say it's fine - just be aware you may just have guests arrive for the reception only and skip the ceremony so that they don't have to take time off work.

That and that some out of town guests may just say they can't make it!

Other than that, I don't think it would be a problem Smiley smile

P.S. Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the WW Community!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never been to one but I know people do it.. I see no problem in it at all.. Like you mentioned, if you give guests enough notice.. also maybe think of a later in the day ceremony just in case people can't get there for the whole day.. but I say go for it.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We actually had a venue we wanted to look into but they were booked 2 years out for every Saturday in October 2020! They offered the Friday of the weekend we asked about or August right before. We were considering the Friday because it was a great deal, but last call was way earlier and the music had to be over before midnight so it didn't work with the vision we had. We also have guests flying in from the US, Spain, Mexico, Australia, and possibly Sri Lanka so we figured the Saturday would be nicer for anybody who can't take a lot of time off and has to fly in sometime on the Friday. Even with lots of notice, sometimes the Friday is hard to plan for. But if it works for your wedding then that's great! Save the money where you can! Smiley smile
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes. We are doing a first look and then our wedding party pictures before. So the time between the ceremony and reception we are doing the big family pictures.
    It gives it a nice flow to the day!
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks great to hear that as a guest you didn't mind. I'm hoping most people will have that kind of mentality! Thanks!
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I'm hoping people will see it as an excuse to have a long weekend haha! Thanks!
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That could work yeah!! Thank you!
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! Yeah I'm hoping that if we let people know soon then it should be easy for them to book time off work.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics