Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megh
Curious January 2019 Ontario

Flower Combinations - what works, what doesn't?

Megh, on March 7, 2018 at 13:42 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

What are your thoughts on having different flowers for bridal bouquet and bridesmaids?

I am thinking about having a white calla lily and eucalyptus sheath for myself and either a small posy of white tulips or two or three blooms with similar or alternate greenery for my bridesmaids. Would this flower combination be complementary or too similar?

What other flowers might work for this? Should alternate complementary colours be used to give more visual interest? Will you be going for a uniform look for everyone or will you be giving your girls an individual look?

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on March 16, 2018 at 17:18
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We decided on roses that will be the same colour as the calla lily. With my bouquet there will be a bunch of other colours so side by side they will look like they match quite well
  • Megh
    Megh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is definitely a consideration. I'm leaning toward white florals and greenery, but because it is a winter wedding, I'm a little concerned that it will be too much white.

Which flower did you end up going with to complement the calla lily?

• Megh
    Megh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking to try to keep the greenery the same, but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use greenery in the bridesmaid bouquets because I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. These are some inspiration photos I am liking right now!

Simple tulip bridesmaid bouquetFlower Combinations - what works, what doesn't? 1

Calla sheath bouquetFlower Combinations - what works, what doesn't? 2

• Megh
    Megh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I hope it will look nice, I'm really not loving the 100% matching thing, so it would be nice to find something that works all around.

That is really nice that you're adding a glad to your bouquet for your grandmother, it is always fantastic and sentimental when there is a real reason behind wedding choices. I will be wearing my grandmother's bracelet!

• Megh
    Megh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A florist is definitely my next step. Thanks for the pointers, I definitely appreciate it!

• Megh
    Megh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! That is definitely my next step, but its always nice to bounce ideas off of the community!

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is nothing wrong with whatever you decide. Flowers you choose and the boutiques for the others don’t have to be the same.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids are having the same bouquet as me just without the roses. However my fiance chose a boutonniere that has a calla lily in it and I do not want calla lilies in my bouquet so our florist recommended we use the same colour of flowers to make it look more uniform. Maybe use something similar between the two bouquet styles to make it seem more uniform?

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Will there be anything that ties your bouquet in with your BMs'? I like your idea of having some differences but I'd keep something similar between them to tie them all together, like a similar shape, or the same greenery but different flowers. Do you have some inspiration photos?

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I like when the bride's bouquet is slightly different from the bridesmaids. Whether that be a different colour, size, or flower. I'm not artistic enough to be able to visualize your ideas, but I think they will work well together.

It is completely up to you! I'm adding a glad to my bouquet after my grandma, and glad's are not a nice bouquet flower, but it's what I want!

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds great, but there are so many option of different colours and what would be in season at the time, so I would definitely reach out to a florist to discuss this and what kind of possibilities there are.

If you are doing it yourself, start by checking if you can get those flowers for a good price (and if they are in season) before moving on to how you want them arranged.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you can do whatever you like. Your description sounds like it would work well together but maybe you could contact a florist and run your idea by them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics