Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maggnard-Smanta
Devoted July 2022 Quebec

First look or not?

Maggnard-Smanta, on July 5, 2022 at 01:11 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 64
Hi there,

Wondering if you are doing a first look and why you decided or not to have one. We always wanted to have a first look to have more time after the ceremony to mingle with guests during cocktail hour and get most of the pictures done before the ceremony. I know it’s non-traditional, but I think we will be happy in the end with our choice. Some people don’t agree with us in our family but hey! 🙃 Plus we paid for a jazz band during cocktail no way I’m missing that!

64 Comments

Latest activity by Maggnard-Smanta, on August 4, 2022 at 08:09
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good! Keep your dress! You won't regret it!
  • Patrice
    Beginner June 2023 Ontario
    Patrice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your insight Smiley heart . Yes, I'm keeping the first look but I have been reconsidering changing my dress- it is starting to feel like too much hassle.

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes first looks all the way! Loved that we did this ☺️
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We did a first look for this and so glad we did! The day goes by so fast! Having as much time for pictures is essential.

Just make sure you have a lists of shots of extended family and friends you'd like and tell those people to meet you right after ceremony so you don't waste any time!
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The reactions are priceless!
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Keeping traditions are important too 😚
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is cute too! First looks with the bridal party are nice.
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Patrice,
    People will always have something to say. I loved that we did the first look and it didn't take any emotion out of the ceremony at all.

Keeping your dress would still look amazing! I'm glad I didn't change into another outfit the day of the wedding. I got so many compliments and with all that it costs too it was worth it!
    Good luck!
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They will be!
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol I'm sure the pictures were beautiful
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love this! Breaking traditions and creating new memories! It's actually a nice statement too.
  • Audrey
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a first look and I loved it, it gave us a private moment to connect with each other before our ceremony. We also walked down the aisle together, so it facilitated that (I loved that we walked the aisle together... we've lived together for 5 years, and we are partners in life, so why not walk together? I feel like the grooms should get some of the glory on the wedding day too!). We also then had an hour between first look and the ceremony to do photos with the bridal party and our parents.

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto!! at first he didnt want to take any pictures. I was like, um then why are we hiring a photographer???? Smiley sad He soon changed his mind but made it known, no direct facial shots LOL Smiley xd

• Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I swear if I don’t get some nice pictures I’m going to scream😂
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I so feel you!!! he is exactly the same. We are also not doing a first look. wanted to keep something traditional. fingers crossed we get some great pictures!

• Rosemarie
    Newbie September 2022 Ontario
    Rosemarie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided on a first look! I love the idea of both of us seeing each other before walking down the isle because it is more intimate and we will be under less "pressure" or "stress" without everyone expecting our reactions Smiley smile
  • Dessa
    Frequent user September 2023 British Columbia
    Dessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a first look followed by most of our pictures. While that's happening our guests will he enjoying cocktail hour. Then we will have our ceremony and pictures with family etc. before dinner. Hoping the timeline let's everyone enjoy the day without too much down time between the ceremony and dinner.
  • Meghan
    Devoted September 2022 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé did not want to do a first look and i'm kinda glad that he didn't want to because I want us to equally see our reaction when i'm walking down the aisle. Even my future MIL said she's glad cause she wants to see his reaction as well!

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My hubby did not want to have a first look, because he wanted to see my first walking down the aisle. And I like that, since I like certain certain traditions as well.
  • O
    Newbie August 2022 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope , we are doing a first look with the groomsmen, and the groom is waiting until I walk down the aisle!
  • Patrice
    Beginner June 2023 Ontario
    Patrice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided on a first look and it was not a decision that garnered a lot of support. A lot of the criticisms seemed rather superstitious and were rooted in 'tradition'. That tradition was meant to prevent unwilling brides from running away before marrying their FH- doesn't apply to me.

My FH and I see each other every day but we opted for a first look to ensure we get to take the photos we wanted while we had time and good lighting. A first look ensures that we get to enjoy the event, have time to eat, mingle with guests, and help FH let out some of his emotions. He has already confessed that he's gonna cry.

I'm considering getting a second dress though. I don't want him to see my dress before I walk down the aisle.

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ok good!!!
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The closest thing we did to a first look was about a 5 second glimpse of a photo taken at the bridal salon during her dress fitting. Barring that, I am not getting any other looks. At present, her dress is in the shop for alterations so I will not see it again before the wedding (September)!.

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Of course!
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ill be happy if he doesnt look rigid in photos since he hates photos so much but that's him and i accept it for what it is, im sure we will have some gorgeous photos though even if we dont have a first look

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awww I understand. You’ll still be able to have intimate moments. Maybe a sunset shot just you both?
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! More you time
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH being the traditionalist he is feels its bad luck to see me before the wedding and his first look will be me walking down the aisle.

it irritates me to no end we will not have those intimate photos but hopefully we will make up for it when we have photos

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing first looks. Our reasoning is we did want some more private moments along together to get photos. We are also having a bit of a later start to the day (5pm start) so it allows us to get some photos out of the way, so we can jump right into party mode haha

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Makes a lot of sense!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It worked very well for us! I think it allowed us to be more personal and emotional in our vows cause we weren't worried about what we were saying in front of all our guests

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is interesting. A nice way of doing it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics