Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lor
Frequent user August 2018 Ontario

fh to plan Honeymoon

Lor, on May 15, 2018 at 08:56 Posted in Honeymoon 0 13

I decided that since i planned about 90% of this wedding (he seriously had no interest in most of it, although he created the invitations and added his 2 cents here and there) that i would love it if he planned our honeymoon and that i know nothing about it. i want it to be a complete surprise until we get to the airport.

I've had a lot of friends mention how cute and romantic this was.

The other day though he was asking for my help and said he wanted me to plan it with him. I explained my reasons again that i wanted it to be a surprise (Because honestly if i get involved ill end up organizing and stressing about everything) AND its literally him paying for it (i'm going to pay him back after, and feel since hes paying for it, i cant dictate too much on what i want) and I've never been anywhere, so LITERALLY wherever he wants to bring me if his choice and ill be happy with. I gave him some suggestions on what i want, don't want, and answered a few questions he had without finding out the locations he had in mind, and i think that helped him, but i nudged him also that he has a group of friends he can talk to about this.

What are your thoughts? Am i selfish for not helping or does it make sense to let him plan something and sit back after planning everything?

13 Comments

Latest activity by TayCath36, on June 6, 2018 at 21:13
  • T
    Curious October 2025 Ontario
    TayCath36 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you're being selfish. Most women enjoy romantic surprises.

I completely understand why you want a break from planning.

Traditionally, grooms are responsible for planning honeymoons.

I don't know if you're interested in following time worn etiquette rules though.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Fh has great ideas and wants to know what you want yet surprise you in his way. I do agree with the qustions we ask our other halfs about details we pay attention to wedding wise. I was planning the wedding for the most part while husband didn't save anything for the honeymoon.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think he just wants to have you choose a place together. Like a nice thing. I like the surprise idea, but it can't be forced either. My FH was less than motivated to do any wedding planning, so I've been giving him little specific tasks to do for me, like research and pick 3 DJs and we'll choose one together, or buy stamps for our invitations, or ask certain people for their addresses.

This way he's still involved, while not being overwhelmed. Maybe with your honey moon you can choose three places for him to choose from and he does the work from there. That way it's still a partial surprise as well. I find mine is happy to help if he has a little guidance Smiley smile
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Similar here. I'm planning the wedding and he's working our the details of a mini moon at a airbnb and honeymoon somewhere warm.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sounds like a nice touch but keep in mind that some guys aren't good at planning. Also these events stress them out easily. You seem to be giving him a lot of resources and help so you're doing good. He should be able to plan the honeymoon and communicate about how he feels and such.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m letting my fiancé plan our honeymoon! I like surprises and he had always said the wedding was for me, the honeymoon was for him. So, he agreed to plan it. Now, we’ve decided to take a mini-moon instead somewhere in Canada and go to a tropical destination in the winter. So, he agreed to plan both of those.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would totally let my FH plan our honeymoon! He likes to plan trips and find deals and whatnot, so he's literally been the one to plan every trip we've gone on over the past 8.5 years lol

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the other girls. It sounds like he wants to make sure it is perfect, so he wants to ask you questions to make sure he's getting it right. I think it is fair to ask him to plan it, but don't be too disappointed if he checks with you on some details, as it sounds like he is thinking about it and working through some things to get everything right.

My fiance and I both sat down to plan our honeymoon, but we've known even before we got engaged where we wanted to go, so it was more simple for us.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was pretty lucky with my husband as he helped me plan everything - the wedding and the honeymoon. I think he just doesn't want you to be disappointed or feel like he failed. It's also a big deal since, as you said, you have never been anywhere before so he may feel some extra pressure. I really enjoyed planning the honeymoon together so we could both get excited about it! Since I am type A, there is no way that my husband could have gotten away with not telling me where we were going lol.

• Lor
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See that's why i want him to plan it though. So i can enjoy it lol I normally would care, but in this case i don't and want to take the moments to enjoy the little things the same way he would. Normally i do spend more time caring about the small details and do get annoyed... but for this i want the freedom to relax and enjoy it like he would.

For example he asked about flying vs. driving and having a car. I told him depending on where, like Nevada or a coast, having a car would be ideal, however if its a city we would visit, having a car isn't such a big deal cause we can take the transit, walk, tours, and not care about parking, charges etc. The fun is to explore so if we take transit, why not. Lets walk everywhere

I feel like im providing sufficient support without planning it FOR us.

Thank you for your feedback Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I get wanting him to do it all himself and only have you give a little input but at the same time he probably just doesn't want to screw it up where you hate everything that he has planned. I find that men are more laid back and go with the flow more times than not where women can be a bit more particular in how they like things. It's the whole: "what do you want to eat?" "I don't care" "want chinese?" "no" "want mexican?" "no" want thai?" "no"... etc.

• Lor
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We definitely did that before when we were talking about it before he knew i wanted a surprise.

We talked about what we would both want from a honeymoon, to relax, to be adventurous, to do activities, what kind etc.

Locations were discussed and so he got info that way, and he knows he can always ask me for my opinion on certain things, i just don't want the specifics to be able to figure it out.

Thank you for your feedback Smiley smile

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s definitely fair to ask him to take the lead on planning the honeymoon - but I’d also be willing to help make some big decisions together if planning a complete surprise turns out to be too stressful!!

It sounds like you covered this through his initial questions, but I’d definitely give him an idea of how far you want to travel, what kind of honeymoon (beach, spa, mountains, touristy, adventurous, etc). When we narrowed it down to the Caribbean for our honeymoon then I had my husband research each island to help decide. I also knew we wanted an awesome suite / villa with a hot tub or pool, so then I unleashed him on researching hotels that have those rooms!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics