Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Faux Pas or Nah: Having a gap between your ceremony and reception?

Lynnie, on April 15, 2019 at 12:18 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 29

How do you feel about having a gap between the wedding ceremony and reception? Do you think it’s a faux pas to leave your guests to entertain themselves in between your events? Or have you been to lots of weddings with a gap and find this fairly normal?

Where do you stand on this one? Is having a gap between the ceremony and reception a faux pas or nah?

Faux Pas or Nah: Having a gap between your ceremony and reception? 1Photo by Amy Rae Photography in NJ

Next Question: Asking your bridesmaids to pay for professional hair and makeup?

Back to the Beginning: Faux Pas or Nah?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on April 23, 2019 at 11:17
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on how big of a gap. There have been weddings I've been invited to where the ceremony is at 12pm and the reception isn't until 5pm and depending on if they're local or not, that's a lot of time to leave your guests not knowing what to do. I've actually had to miss ceremonies before and only go to receptions because of the large gap and distance.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a gap is expected if the ceremony and reception are at different locations; however, I don't think it's ideal otherwise and would expect something to be done in between. (Cocktail hour, for example).

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally fine! Guests expect a gap for photos and things I'm pretty sure by now!

I think gaps 4+ hours are pushing it... but again if that timelines works for the bride and groom for what ever the reason then thats the timeline! If you aren't paying/planning the wedding then I don't think you have a right to judge as a guest. Enjoy the day as the bride/groom intends it!

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine... I would suggest to be sure to have some type of food and drinks during that time so the wait doesn't seem to long or so they can mix and mingle.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine. Sometimes there's no other choice for a ceremony and reception.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Less than 2 hours? Sure.
    Otherwise nope.
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Imo one or two hours is fine but over that kind of ruins the vibe a bit.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every wedding seems to have a gap even ours given time for us to change and the guests to mingle and chat between themselves. We had an hour and half while cocktail hour was taking place.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is acceptable, it's certainly the norm at the weddings I've been to. Luckily, our ceremony ends at 4:30 and the antipasto hour starts at 5:30, so with travelling there's only a very brief gap.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing this so i definitely don’t think it’s a faux pas haha i’m having my ceremony at a different location than my reception, and there’s about an hour between the venues. my ceremony will be at 2 and my cocktail hour will start at 5:30
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nah. It's perfectly fine because that's typically when you do photos. We are trying to keep ours under 2 hours. Anything more and as a guest I'd get annoyed.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah! Every wedding you should expect one. I just think it should be kept under 2 hours.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is how all the wedding I have been to have been. I think its fine if its in your home town, easy to fill the gap. Or if its a destination wedding with things to do, or you are staying with family or something. All the gaps I have had to fill, there has been something to do so that's been ok. But I think more than a couple hours could be boring. Ours is one after another which I love.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on the length of the gap... an hour or two for cocktail hour so you can have photos done is totally fine. But I am not a fan of more than a couple hours.
  • Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It definitely isn’t a big deal! We aren’t having a gap though. Our ceremony and reception are at the same place.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a faux pas, as long as it is well communicated to the guests and they aren't stranded at the venue if it's longer than 2 hours.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will have a gap. That is when we are having our formal photos done. I've assisted photographers on lots of weddings and that's how everyone did it.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's okay as long as it's not much more than 2 hours and you provide food and drink or something for guests to do in that time , like a cocktail hour or outside games or something

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope, mine will have a gap.

It gives people a break in between, to go home, have a nap, go out to a restaurant for lunch.

i find its so long without having a gap. I usually leave those weddings earlier because I’m so tired!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's so accepted they gave it a name! Our cocktail hour is going to be 1.5 hours and we will be having some lawn games for people to play

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its very normal for this to happen with where i'm from! we have a 3 hour gap

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having a 2 hour gap maximum, so I'm going to go ahead and say it's totally fine lol. We'll be noting the time of reception starting on the invite so guests *hopefully* get the hint that there's a gap and not a 3-5:30pm ceremony!

I get if the gap was larger, it would be more annoying but again, I think if guests have some heads up, they can find something to do in between.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a crisis but I personally am not really a fan of it being much more than a couple hours. A little more is ok if the venue changes for the reception.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This all depends. I think if it is a very short amount of time (less than 2 hours), it would be fine. I've seen weddings with 4-5 hours in between which is absolutely ridiculous. Also depending on if the ceremony and reception are at the same location. If it's a 20 minute drive in between with a 2 hour gap, then that's perfect.

We are having 1 hour in between which serves as cocktail hour. This gives our guests a chance to mingle/drink/eat hors d'oeuvres.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. We are all fully capable of finding something to do between the time. Ours will be really close together but that’s because people are travelling the day of to come to the wedding
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is becoming more acceptable...but I am not a huge fan of it. Though I do get why it is done...If I know about it ahead of time, I can plan on things to do inbetween

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah, It's becoming more and more common with how long photo's take. However, I will be having no time in between at all! Straight to reception which is only a few steps away!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is becoming more acceptable. Guests understand this gap is when pictures are taken, as long as they are aware ahead of time I don't see it being a problem!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah. I think it's acceptable. People, especially adults, are fully capable of entertaining themselves for a few hours. You have one day to get lots of pictures taken. Your guests will be fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics