Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Essential or Extra: Save the Dates?

Lynnie, on September 17, 2018 at 10:22 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 27

What's your take on sending out save the dates to your guests with advance notice of your wedding date? Do you think they are essential or extra ?

Essential or Extra: Save the Dates? 1

Photo from Pixelcouture in Quebec

Next Question - Essential or Extra: Engagement Photos?

27 Comments

Latest activity by Veronica, on May 13, 2019 at 15:30
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra for us. Most of our guests just know the date by word of mouth. The handful of people travelling I am personally speaking to (or have spoken to) so they already have it on their radar.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra, we skipped this

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my FH and I, it's an extra. Cost-wise, it doesn't make sense with all the postage! We are trying to get the most out of our budget and know both us and the guest could get more enjoyment with the money spent elsewhere. We are going to do a video one more as a fun project.

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us, it's extra. FH is related to half of the town. The 80 guests we planned to invite are all family members with only few friends. We don't think we need to send out the Save the Date.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra. Especially printed ones. You're already spending hundreds of dollars to print and mail invitations, why do it twice?

I do think they can serve an important purpose though, especially if your wedding will require travel from a lot of your guests or your guest list is made up of a lot of really busy people who may need more notice than typical invitations give.

We will do electronic save-the-dates for sure since we are doing a DW and want to give people as much notice as possible. Haven't decided yet whether we will go electronic for the invitations as well or not.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us, it was essential because of the amount of out of town guests and the fact that it fell on a yearly camping trip for a great portion of our guests!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Essiential due to the large amount of OOT guests we're having + our wedding is on a long weekend.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Essential for us since our guests are all over the place and we live 18 hours away from our wedding!

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra for sure. We didn't do them more money

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a lot of people travelling to come to our wedding and a lot of kids. We chose a Friday in September so for us it felt essential so that people can plan the trip, save, etc. Most of our friends are college students or single parents, they needed advance notice.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra since its just a preset date notice of whats to come ans when.
  • Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent digital ones as most familt is from out of state
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us they were essential, as my family lives overseas and we needed to give them plenty of warning to save up for flights
  • Jessica
    Newbie November 2020 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I too moved to BC and will be getting married back in Ontario! I totally agree that it feels essential so people can be kept in the loop Smiley laugh

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This could be extra or essential depending on the wedding, the guests, and the location.

If destination, save the dates are essential for individuals planning to come.

Also essential if guests are coming from out of town or country, gives them more time to prepare.

We will be sending save the dates as people get busy in the fall with holidays and school starting, so we want to give everyone enough time to plan.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Essential... people get busy in the summer so it's nice to know in advance. That being said
    .. I think online save the dates are sufficient
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Essential! I think these are always cute I am always excited to get them in the mail. Save the Dates get everyone excited for the wedding before the formal invites.

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us it was an extra - we just sent out our invitations a little earlier!
  • Missa
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra- But I will be doing mine online :-)
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us it was kind of a mix of both. We wanted to do it because we love the save the date idea, gives everyone extra time to make sure they can be there with us! But also since we had moved to BC this year a lot of people didn't know what was happening with the wedding so this allowed us to tell those people that we are still getting married in Ontario. So I'm going to say essential!
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Essential for us, but only because we are having a destination wedding in Canmore and none of our guests live there. This gives them time to plan and to determine if they are able to go with as much notice as possible.

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Essential for our Dutch guests, since they'll need time to plan and save up for coming all the way to Canada next year. We've only send Save the Dates to our Dutch guests, not to the Canadian ones
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We opted not to do them because we sent out invitations early! Otherwise I definitely would have done them.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra! But I got mine done for free so why not! I think it's more essential if you're doing a designating wedding and vacation planning is needed? But for something at home like we are it was for sure an extra!
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Essential. people need to make plans in their schedule and their budget. if you want people to be able to make it to your special day, you need to give them enough lead time.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra - Though I understand why some couples might opt in to sending them, my FH thinks STDs are a waste of money. Since we're on a tight budget, we decided not to send them.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra - but I'm still doing it! I know that the family on my side that lives 4.5 hours away might consider it essential but the chances are that even if I send them out extra early that they won't want to drive that far when they are in their 70's...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics