Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear?

Hank, on December 21, 2020 at 15:55 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 40

Let's see those engagement photos. I'm interested in the clothing choices you all chose! Let's turn this thread into a virtual pre-wedding red carpet. Did you envision a certain look and acquired clothes based on that, or did you formulate something based on what you have in the closet? Were you inspired a particular theme?

We kept it casual and wanted to reflect a date in the city vibe. I wore a blue linen-cotton blazer from RW&Co and contrasted with a Soul of London white shirt. Brown chinos, also from RW&Co to give off that earthy fall vibe. Had a pair of Steve Madden oxfords and a belt from Marks that coincidentally just complimented the blazer and pants perfectly. Finished it off with a silver bracelet Fossil watch. She wore a silver top from Dynamite, which is the colour of our wedding party. Her coral skirt is from Uniqlo and I love how it adds warmth to the photos, especially in the city shots. Open-toe snakeskin heels are from Naturalizer (she swears by their brand as being the most comfortable heels), and a rose gold coloured necklace with crystals from Bittersweet to match her skirt.

Photos by Vai Yu Law Photography

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 1

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 2

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 3

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 4

If you're planning your engagement photos, hopefully this will inspire some ideas. Feel free to let us know what you have planned (if you know).

40 Comments

Latest activity by Megan, on March 16, 2021 at 12:58
  • Megan
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's my Fiance's 1969 Parisenne. He had to have it in the photos Smiley smile

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

THAT CAR! Smiley smile Just works so well in the photos.

• Megan
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our shoot at this B&B near Calgary. It was a beautiful stormy fall day. I wore 2 different outfits- 1 was jeans and a plaid shirt with my favourite hat, the other was a blue dress from Lulus to channel "Baby Driver" movie theme. My Fiance wore a brown jacket and white shirt with jeans. I love how they came out!

Photos from Adam and Alexandra Photograph. B&B is called Willow Hill

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 5

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 6

Loving everyone else's pictures Smiley smile

• Laura
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha the one bright side about an Ontario wedding is the weather will at least be more reliable! We took a lot of our photos at Signal Hill which is notoriously windy, and NL isn’t exactly known for its clear and sunny skies. We wanted a dream outdoor wedding with less fear or weather issues which is the main reason we decided to get married back in Ontario.

Hopefully you get back to the East Coast for a photo shoot sometime! It was a lot of fun and I feel like the photos we got were very unique compared to what we had in Ontario - but that’s probably because most of our friends are from the same area of the GTA haha.
  • Amber
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These are gorgeous! I never made it to Newfoundland, but I lived in Nova Scotia for 9 years. My fiance and I met in Halifax. We both moved back to where I'm from in Ontario and we will be getting married here (though we wish we could afford a maritime/East Coast wedding and have our families able to afford to attend one!) I am tempted to go back to visit once Covid is over to get East Coast engagement photos now though... I'm happy I came across your post! I miss the ocean...

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think any wedding photographer worth their salt will be adept at outdoor, nature style engagement photos (it's a very popular option and they would lose a lot of business if they're not proficient at shooting in natural and potentially changing light). The aesthetic of the shoot is mostly determined by you and not the photographer since you're the one choosing the setting and clothes etc.

Most photographers will have an online portfolio but what I look for is how wide the range of human subjects are. Are they only shooting model-esque type bodies or does the body of work reflect clients of different backgrounds, shapes and sizes? The latter tells me they communicate well with people of all walks of life, including those who may be self conscious or not comfortable around the camera, and therefore can bring out the best of us in the photos. Of course, having a live conversation with them, whether it be in person (when you're able to) or virtually, helps greatly with that aspect too.

• Sabrina
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry Hank, I missed the Senators jersey comment before. No, my FH sadly bleeds blue and I've been a Bruins fan since I was a young girl. We reside in Ottawa which doesn't bode well for us LOL
  • Sabrina
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We decided separately. I showed my FH what I was wearing and gave him an idea of what I was thinking (casual and business formal) and trusted him to make good choices. We were not comfortable infront of the camera so being in more comfortable attire and not spending extra money while we're saving was ideal.
    I did spend money on the white dress (purchased on sale at Simons) but I plan on wearing that to my bridal shower and bachelorette as well.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really like the brown jacket and boots. Really matches the woodsy vibe. Did you both coordinator or decided separately on what to wear?

And no Senators jersey? LOL

• Sabrina
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did 3 changes (1 right at the very end and it was so dark we only got a few). We dressed in casual, dressy and then in our hockey jerseys.Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 7

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 8

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 9

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 10

• Margaret
    Curious December 2021 Ontario
    Margaret ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes it is! I was so happy with how the photos turned out
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice! Is that at the Aga Khan Museum by any chance?

• Margaret
    Curious December 2021 Ontario
    Margaret ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did 2 outfits- black formal and then casual Smiley smile FH wore a RW&Co suit and I wore a dress from Fashionnova that had a high thigh slit LOL ... Our pug also had an outfit change too (black tie then a beige sweater with red which matched my red top) Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 11

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 12
    Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 13

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 14

• Gioia
    Frequent user July 2021 Quebec
    Gioia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    His he already had it, I got my dress off of Amazon
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice! Where did you get your outfits from?

• Gioia
    Frequent user July 2021 Quebec
    Gioia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided to go to where he proposed to me in RDP Montréal. Since its a nice park with lots of nature we decided to go more fancy and we tied in our wedding colors, navy, silver (hence the light grey suit on my fiance) and white. We absolutely love them Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 15
    Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 16

Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 17

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do you know where he got his suit from? And my fiancee wants to know where you bought your dress haha
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We didn't really coordinate, but I knew he would likely wear a blue suit since he knows that I like the colour on him! I didn't realize what the contrast would be like either - I had just decided in advance that I wanted to wear something bright. We were nicely surprised by how well it worked out! Smiley smile

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks!! That's one of our favourites even though none of our faces are in it lol

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I spent so much time researching outfits and poses on Pinterest that I didn't give myself time to plan my actual outfit. I ended up picking a different sweater at the last minute and it matched his style so well. I love how comfortable and casual and real we are in these photos! No fancy hair or makeup (I actually had a horrible cold, but I didn't want to miss the foliage!) just us 🥰
    Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 18
    Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 19
    Engagement Photo Red Carpet - Who/What Did You Wear? 20

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, I also got my wedding shirt there. They just had a sale for a 100% cotton white shirt with french cuffs for under $13 and I jumped on it.

I love Rockports. I have a pair for when I hike.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We actually got my husband's shirt and tie for his wedding outfit from RW&Co too! These shoes were ones he already owned from Rockport. They have a rubber sole so I assume they're comfortable! He definitely had no issues traversing the rocks - unlike me!

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much Hank!

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice! Will have to check out Treehut.

Btw, I also love how your top matches the park.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiancee's looking at this thread and the amount of flannel and jean combos is making her want to take some holiday photos with us in plaid and jeans hahaha. Love how your outfit complimented the snowy background and how he stands out with some contrast.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love this and the contrast between dressing up and the nature background. Tell us about the outfits! Did you coordinate with one another or was it a surprise? Either way, the blue and yellow gives off lovely Beauty and the Beast vibes.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, Rayanne! My fiancee is the same way about pictures but she found an engagement session helpful so she knows what to expect with the photographer on the day of the wedding. It also gives our photographer a sense of familiarity and rapport so she knows how to communicate with us. And she's always afraid of "bad angles" so having her see the style of photos and how they'll turn out made her feel a lot more easy about them.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is a wooden watch! It's from Treehut. It was a gift from his father. It's engraved on the back.

Haha the matching denim was intentional! I'm not one to wear dresses so we both decided on jeans.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, is your fiancee wearing a wooden watch? I'm somewhat of a new watch nerd (started a small collection during the pandemic) and curious what brand it is.

Was the matching denim intentional?

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! So awesome you were able to hit up a brewery. My fiancee and I are a coffee couple and we originally wanted to take a few photos in a local cafe but with their spaces so small, none of them ever opened up for indoor dining.

I take it you're originally from Chicago?

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay RW&Co, hahaha! Got my blazer and pants for under $50 total when the stores re-opened after initial lockdown and they were trying to get rid of their summer stuff.

Love your colour combination in contrast with the rocks and trees.

What kind of shoes did your husband wear? They look super comfy for leather shoes.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your photos are gorgeous! I love the paw picture too haha!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics