Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Devoted August 2018 Ontario

Eloping - How many times have you considered it?

Megis, on July 30, 2018 at 09:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
I think at some point a bride considers eloping. I've had a total of twice.

The first was after I realized how expensive weddings are. But then I had already bought my dress and wanted a wedding to share with my MIL and close family and friends.

Mainly because of my MIL. She's always been good to me and supportive. Also she has 3 sons and won't get a chance to do bride stuff. She's also in her 50s. I'm marrying her oldest and the next son is barely in his 20s and won't be getting married anytime soon.

The 2nd time ibe considered is because of the stress I've had in the last month. But then we had invested too much.

How many times have you considered eloping? And why?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on July 31, 2018 at 23:01
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I considered it once (my FH has brought it up at least 6 times) we got engaged and then my FH left for a month so I was stressed. As soon as he got back and we made some decisions I was over it.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've wanted to elope from the beginning but nope FH wants the big shi-bang.....but I think about still A LOT! Just soo much unneeded drama from my side of the family....

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Several times! I never wanted the "big wedding", but it's quickly becoming that and I'm not super comfortable with that much attention on me. Alas, we have already invested a lot into deposits, so big wedding it is.

• Ilish
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Ilish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Every. Damn. Day 😂😂
  • Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    ZERO! I’ve had a dream since I was a little girl Smiley smile

Plus my dad would be very sad if he couldnt walk me down the aisle. I’m the youngest and the only girl Smiley smile

Just breathe and know that you can do what YOU want. Wether it be a big shindig or an elopement Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Once! We talked about it before we got engaged (but knew it was heading there), thought about it for a few days, and I just felt really sad at the thought of not being able to celebrate with everyone close to me!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've considered it more times than I'd like to admit!
    The first time was probably when all the family opinions started to come.
    Then when we moved from Ontario to BC, a few times!
    Then when I realized how hard planning a wedding while being pregnant/new mom was/going to be. I still go back and think about it but ultimately I know I wouldn't be happy with that because the wedding we are planning is our dream wedding.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I considered it a few times when planning stress was getting to me and such but I am glad we didn't. Best day!!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've considered it a few times, mostly when my mom gets a little TOO controlling for my liking. As the only daughter in my family (my brother isn't marrying anytime soon), I know it will tear apart our family if we did elope. Plus, I've imagined the big wedding, the dress, a lot of wedding stuff since I was little lol.

One thing wish I could really change is cut the guest list more. They will be people I'm not close with but my parents have known them forever. They are paying for the majority of the wedding so budget isn't an issue. I would almost like to have a more intimate ceremony and then open up the reception to everyone else.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided to after the stress got to me. Originally we were just inviting a few people. Now, it’s blown up into 70 adults and possibly over 20 kids. Haha. So I’m not saving money, lol, at all. But I’m not nearly as stressed out. I’m going very basic now and not renting anything! And because it’s a destination wedding, it’s just me and the hotel planner doing everything. No one has an opinion or say in it! An elopement would have been way cheaper! But I would have missed certain people who are so important to me
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never considered it, actually! We are paying for things as we go. A little here, a little there, and while we have some stuff left to pay we are done paying already for most of the big stuff! My father in law wants to pay for the rentals, 2hich will be huge!

I'm marrying into a family with 2 boys and a mother in law and a father in law who have both told me on multiple occasions how excited they are to finally have a daughter. I'm incredibly close to my own family and I have a very large family who i want there. I've always envisioned having a big party with all of my closest friends and family, so elopement has never crossed my mind!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never actually... We are beyond fortunate that my family is old school and are footing the bill for the wedding... and although I didn't get a monster budget, it's exactly what we needed to get everything done. (I think it's a big budget, but when the average wedding is over 50% more money, in the grand scheme it's a bit smaller).

I have always dreamed about the big day, the dress, walking down the aisle, the reception, the speeches, the food... haha. So eloping never crossed my mind.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are currently considering it! We realized this weekend that we have to somehow come up with 15,000$ in 9 months to fully pay for our wedding! Some of that is money that will come back (from the toonie bar) but we still have to have it to lay out in the first place!

That's the only reason, though - the cost.

• M
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah one problem is if you have to deal with societal expectations. I'm glad I have more freedom from that
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have considered it for sure. Definitely the cost! , and just the stress of trying to please my MIL and other family members . I have thought about it a few times. But we are the same, we have invested so much time and money into it at this point, it would be stupid of us to throw all of that away.

I am in the same boat with my MIL, she is super supportive , and only has 2 boys, I have tried to include her in as much as I can as she wont get to experience some things. However, she can also be the center of my stress sometimes LOL.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We definitely thought about it a couple of times now, and we've been engaged for a little over a year.

Why? We hate the attention this wedding planning is bringing, and we're slowly realizing that even though it's "our" day, we're mostly doing it to please our parents.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pretty much every time I think about how much money weddings are hahaha

But then I remind myself that having our family and friends there is 99% of the reason I want to have a wedding at all, so I'd regret eloping if we did that. If it was really just about the two of us, we could just go to the courthouse and fill in the paperwork. The marriage is about us, the wedding is about the community we've built around us and sharing our love and commitment with them.

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Personally I think eloping is anti-climatic.

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't really considered it. We're both too close to our families to even think of not having them by our side. But I definitely considered doing a very intimate wedding (with only parents, siblings, grandparents and best friends, which would have meant 23 guests).

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband wasn't happy with my family as it came of as negaitve feelings towards him. He agreed to a small wedding and then was thinking twice about the cost. Eventually, he saw it was just about the same and never changed his mind about going back on the wedding plans.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a once actually - but there is still time as I am not too far along in the wedding planning! haha No really though, I have had people tell me that it would be so easy to just elope but it's just not me and I could never even think of doing that. I love attention and have always dreamed of a big wedding so now that it's coming so fast I just can't wait! No matter how much stress I have my FH to calm the nerves and I know that it will all be worth it in the end.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics