Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shannon
Newbie September 2019 Ontario

Elopement yes or no?

Shannon, on October 9, 2018 at 21:42 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
Thoughts on elopement? Need an affordable wedding option.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Emma, on October 19, 2018 at 06:45
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was all for eloping. Honestly I think I would have preferred it. But we want our kids with us and our parents would be upset if we eloped. Plus my fiancé wants a big party.

But if you want to I say go for it!
  • AnnC
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    AnnC ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 10 people mostly because we've been together a really long time and we're a LOT older. It's just time to make it legal. So... Niagara on the Lake is it. Small hotel for the ceremony and dinner together then hopefully partying in Niagara Falls in the evening. Still some details that need to actually get done for it to happen so it's not completely simple but simple enough and small enough that it works. I'm definitely all for elopements. I think they work and I agree - there are places that let you have up to 10 people and I think that can be as special as you want to make it, even on a budget!!

• Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We've got ours booked!!! We found a great spot on Vancouver Island, a B&b right on the ocean. We have the whole thing booked for the night of the ceremony. Our mom's and both our brothers and his sister in law are coming. We will spend a night together before the ceremony then the night with close family the day of. They will take off the next day then we stay put for 5 days for our honeymoon! It's low key, affordable and super easy for the planning that I have to do. When we come back we are having a big pot luck dinner with his whole family (mine is all back east).
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Elopements are a great way to save money. Certain places have an elopement package that usually allows for 10 people to join you, so you can have those essential few there too.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pop-up, surprise wedding. elopements are great too, but i know my family personally, would murder me. i'd have gone with a pop-up wedding if my fiance had agreed to it, but he felt obligated as the oldest kid in his family to do the whole thing, and it is NOT cheap.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m totally for elopement.
    Or pop up weddings.
    ”A Practical Wedding” and “Bridechilla” are good resources for doing your own thing within your budget and not following the conventional way of things.
  • L
    Newbie April 2019 Ontario
    Laurel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also seriously considered this. Everything is so expensive. I'm having my ceremony and reception in a small town church and catering in most foods for a lunch/ my family has offered to help make things as well. This is saving us literally thousands of dollars. And really, this shouldn't be a day that puts you in debt. It is after all only one day. Brunch and lunch are cheaper so if you want a meal I would go that route. Only downside is ours has to be a dry wedding but at least everyone will get great food and I won't be strapped for cash.
  • D
    Newbie February 2019 Ontario
    Dorota ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say yes but did u consider a pot luck reception? Our friends had one and it was fin.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We considered it, but a couple of factors made it so that it wasn't a good option for us:

- I'm an only child

- We'd need to have a reception afterwards, which is basically the most expensive part of having a wedding, which IMO defeats the purpose.

- Intimate wedding in Canmore, with just our immediate family, was even more expensive with the flights to Alberta and the hotel stay.

In the end, you just have to sit down and see what the pros and cons are for you and your FH. If you don't really see any cons, then go for it and enjoy!!!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had considered it, but I got really said thinking about it. I wanted to be able to celebrate with friends and family. But, I know other people that have eloped and loved it! It all depends on the person/couple!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You want less cost and less time for preparation, yes to elopement. One of my in law did elope after being living together for many years and having a reception this coming November.
  • K
    Newbie January 2020 Manitoba
    Kiersten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a “semi elopement.” So going on a winter vacation with friends and getting hitched at the same time. Reason is that the mil and sil are difficult— the fiancé doesn’t want the sil around. And my family is chill so we figured why not!? Drinks, beach, sun, friends... I can’t wait! We are inviting our friends early and asking them to not tell anyone our plan, just tell people it’s for a vacation.
  • S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the idea of it, but when it comes down to the reality of it I know it's not the right choice for me and my Fiance. We figure it's important to us to have our close family and friends there with us. If that's not of huge importance to you, then totally elope! Do what YOU guys want and what makes YOU happiest.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you don’t have any reason NOT to elope, I say go for it! FH has some friends who decided to elope on a vacation. It cost them a fraction of hosting a traditional wedding, and they still had a reception here afterwards.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not against. I just knew I didn't want one because there were some family members that were my "have to be there". so we decided to do a wedding.

the only thing that I can say about it. if you are going to do it. don't tell people. or the few people that you tell/invite. give them notice if you can. my bro in law and sis in law were originally planning to elope (we knew they had booked a trip to vegas). and then 4 weeks before told us (parents, my FH and I, her siblings) they were getting married. and we found it a bit hurtful (because we could have gone...FHs dad would have found a way, but couldn't on the short notice).

• Dar
    Frequent user December 2018
    Dar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That was our original plan, but the fiance decided he really wanted his parents there (only child). So now we are doing a 'semi-elopement' to Vegas with just the parents and siblings invited on fairly short notice. Since we live in a different province than the rest of the family, it's actually cheaper for them to fly/stay in Vegas than our city and we found an all-inclusive ceremony/reception package for under $2000. Our original elopement plan was a $300 ceremony and a photo session on the strip. Word of warning - if you do it, be prepared for the guilt trips. We've already been getting them, but are just remaining firm that it's our wedding and this is what we want.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me - no way. For others - you do you boo.

I mean, it's less expensive for sure. But at the same time I would want my entire family there to celebrate with me. If you are fine with just having your close friends and family - if that at all - then I would say go for it.

Just know that if after your elopement you are feeling sad about missing out on the big wedding thing, you could always do a big reception just no ceremony Smiley smile

And if you search here on Wedding Wire the word "elopement" you will come across tons of discussions that may help if it's the right choice for you. Here are some:

Would You Have An Elopement Wedding

To Elope Or Not Elope

For Which Of These Reasons Would You Choose To Elope

Also - CONGRATS ON THE ENGAGMENT!!!

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would have liked to do this! There are ways to have affordable weddings I’m sure lots of people on here could help with.

or you could slope and then throw a small party or have a dinner at a restaurant? Just an idea!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics