Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Casey
Master October 2019 Ontario

Dress Shopping Stories!

Casey, on July 29, 2019 at 11:21 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19

This is one part of the planning stages that I wish I could continue doing! Before wedding dress shopping, I watched probably every episode of Say yes to the dress, and could not wait for my big day to come!

I took my Sister, Step Mom, Grandma, and future Mother in Law dress shopping with me. We had the whole boutique to ourselves which was amazing, and the consultant was AMAZING! My appointment was supposed to be 1.5 hours, and we were there for over 3!

I was very stuck on not having a strapless dress, and nothing tight fitting. I have always been a little self conscious, and at the time of dress shopping I was at my heaviest weight. Ball gowns were not working out, anything with an empire waist hit me right at my hips which are big enough lol! And then my consultant brought in a tight fitting, illusion neck and back lace dress. It kept staring at me on the hanging and I wanted it to be the last dress I tried on. Well I put that one on, and never wanted to take it off. I couldn't stop looking at myself in the mirror. The cherry on top of it all, she had me walk down this hallway towards a mirror and picture myself walking towards my FH. As soon as I took one step I lost it. This was my own personal moment and I was so excited, and so happy that I found a dress that I felt beautiful in! Fast forward to today, my seamstress has already taken in 2 inches on the dress, and I go Friday for another fitting, it is the best part of my day putting my dress back on even if it is for a short period of time right now!

I would love to hear everyones dress shopping stories if you have gone dress shopping! How many shops did you go to? Did you get exactly what you wanted, or did the dress you buy surprise you?

If you haven't gone dress shopping yet, who are you taking with you? What type of dress or style are you looking for? I want to see all the inspiration pictures!!!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Casey, on July 30, 2019 at 10:48
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing! Seriously some of the consultants have this hidden gift when it comes to picking out the dress. They make the whole experience that much better

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I technically 'found' my dress when my mom and I went looking for a dress for her. We popped into the store without an appointment and the consultant pulled some dresses for her to pick and while she was in the changing room, he was asking me what I was looking for. I gave him some vague response about something A-line and with a flowy skirt and his eyes lit up and he was like "I have the dress for you" so he pulled a dress off the rack and my jaw dropped - it was so so beautiful. He asked if I wanted to try it on but I said no since I had an appointment for the next weekend and I didn't want to distract from mom finding her dress.

So the next weekend, after two appointments at other stores in the same day, it was the dead last dress I tried on. I didn't cry or anything so I wasn't positive it was the one but I couldn't stop thinking about it for the next two days so I went back again by myself to put it on and had to order it. But I still can't believe the first consultant nailed it right from the get-go!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beautiful dress! Very true that your shopping experience my surprise you. I love hearing all the different stories because all you see on TV are mostly the huge ones where everyone cries lol.

Love that is was a Warehouse and very similar to Winners. I literally love Winners so much

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh so exciting!! I think the second best moment was when I picked up my dress lol.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beautiful dress! Not everyone needs to have that huge moment like they show on TV, the biggest thing is that you feel beautiful in your dress, and feel like a Bride Smiley smile

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ordering online takes away a lot of the stress of who to invite, and people not being happy because they weren't there for dress shopping as well.

Amazing that you found the one online!

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have also watched every Say Yes to the Dress show. Let's be honest, I've probably watched every episode of every bridal show in existence (and I continue to do so)! However, I didn't get that classic experience.

I bought my dress at a warehouse sale, and it was the first place I went to. It was, well, in a warehouse, and all of the dresses were in rows according to their size. It made things quite easy and was actually very 'me' because it reminded me a bit like Winners, which is pretty much the only store where I buy my regular day-to-day clothes.

I brought my mom, sister and my two aunts with me. They kind of acted as my consultants, bringing me dresses to try off the rack. There was a makeshift dressing room, which I had to share with a few other shoppers, but I didn't mind (too much). I didn't get "THE experience", but I found my dress, which I love and it's everything I was looking for.

Moral of my story, the dress may not surprise you, but your shopping experience might!

(Here is a picture of my dress at my second fitting)

Dress Shopping Stories! 1
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went with my mom and sister to 3 different places. I ended up buying the second dress I tried on at the first place but bought it for less at the third place.

I'm not a super sentimental person so I didn't cry or anything, they also did not have my dress in stock so I did not even try it on again at the last place. just bought it and left!

I'm picking my dress up tomorrow which is exciting!

• Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to 2 shops. The first one is home of say yes to the dress Canada so I was hoping it would be exciting - I didn’t have that experience 😂. I went to one with my cousin as she’s getting married as well - that was not a bad experience but I just didn’t like anything they brought me. I found a dress on amazon that I loved and it was definitely what I saw myself in. but it’s ‘cheap’ so you know the material etc. won’t work. So I printed a picture of the dress and a seamstress was recommended to me. I picked it up last week and while I didn’t cry I just felt so good in the dress. I didn’t have the boutique experience but the feeling I’m assuming is just the same. ☺️

Dress Shopping Stories! 2
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I too have also watched every episode of say yes.....BUT funny enough I didn't have the say yes shopping experience at all!

I found my dream dress online at BHLDN. It was a A-line dress by Watters. I checked all of the local stores in Winnipeg, and nobody carried this design. So I said screw it, and I ordered it. If it didn't work out, it was returnable, so it was a low risk purchase. It was more important to see it on and know for sure. If I went shopping, every dress I put on would have been compared to it anyways. I don't think I could have said yes to a dress without knowing for sure how the other one looked.

Its the only dress I ever tried on. I don't regret not having the shopping experience.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For me, I wasn't too crazy on the blush/champagne and lace dress trend, even though it seems like it's all over the place right now lol - another reason why I haven't second-guessed my decision.

I feel like my dress is super unique in regards to current trends out right now, and I love it in ivory!!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Such a beautiful store, and great that you found your dress at the first store!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found my dress at the very first store I went to - The Perfect Gown

It surprised me but also didn't. I got a V-neck like how I thought I wanted but I got a ball gown which is not what I was going for as I had already worn one at my HS graduation back in 2015

Went with my Mom, Dad, Sister(MOH), Baba, and FMIL

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had the same problem with my dress when I first tried it on, it was in champagne and maybe 3 sizes too big for me. I also ordered it in Ivory and it is amazing the difference the colour makes!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went shopping with my mom, which was special because she flew up to where I'm living and we ended up getting the dress that weekend.

We only went to the one shop, we had plans to go to a pop-up shop but didn't since we found the dress. We also had some appointments lined up in my hometown a few months after, but I ended up cancelling.

I wasn't quite sure what I wanted, but I knew no strapless, and not too much lace. I told the consultant I wanted something with beading, and unique. I tried on 15-20 dresses in 1.5 hours and the first one and the last one were a close tie. The first dress was more fit-and-flare and the last one was an A-line, which I felt more bridal in and didn't want to take off. It was hard for me to imagine it as my dress since it was 2 sizes too small and in a blush colour. I ended up ordering it in ivory and when it came in, I was floored! Aside for some taking in the bodice, it fit great and I could see myself getting married in that dress.

Even with new designs coming out - I follow my bridal salon on Instagram so I see new arrivals quite a bit, I still love the dress the most and would probably end up with that one even if I didn't get it right at the start lol

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So amazing. There is no better feeling than having a dress that makes you feel so good about yourself.

Sometimes raising the budget is super worth it, especially when you love the dress so much!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So amazing that the first dress you put on was the one you ended up getting! Love the picture idea too!!

• L
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Linnae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have had only 6 months to plan my upcoming wedding so I was nervous about not being able to get the "perfect" dress. The first store I went to told me I couldn't order a dress and would need to buy off the rack. Only a few of the dresses there fit be and i felt chunky in all of them! The next store I went to told me they could order me in a dress but would have to order within the next 2 weeks. They asked what I was envisioning and what my budget was...I ended up having to raise my budget to get the vintage lace look I wanted but it was worth it because I found the perfect dress. As soon as I put it on I felt skinny and beautiful and did not want to take it off!!! Both my parents came with me when I bought it which was special since I'm an only child

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went with my mom, MIL and two local bridesmaids. I had looked up styles before going. The first shop was one where you told the stylist what you wanted and they picked dresses. The first dress I tried on was almost exactly what I wanted. I tried on a few more there but everyone knew that first dress was a contender. We went to a second shop. This one we picked the dresses. My mom chose a ball gown with a really poofy skirt, plain top. Not at all what I pictured. But, for some reason I liked it! I wasn’t ready to make a decision so took the weekend and thought of the first dress the entire time so went to the store on Monday with my two bridesmaids to order it. Found out that my MOH was hoping I would pick my dress on the Saturday because she had brought little chalkboards that said “I said yes” and “she said yes”. We used them on Monday but the moms did miss out on that photo!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics