Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lucy
Frequent user July 2019 Ontario

Dress shopping/lingerie question

Lucy, on February 15, 2018 at 14:20 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 10
Okay, so this has been bugging me for a while so I thought I would throw this out to the collective mind.

All the articles about dress shopping say to wear your bridal lingerie but...how do you know what underwear to wear if you have no idea what your dress looks like?

My first appointment is next week. I have no idea what the neckline will be, strapless or sleeves, spanx or not! What's the safest thing to wear to try on dresses when you don't know what you'll need?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on February 16, 2018 at 10:39
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore nude coloured underwear and a strapless bra to my dress shopping. You are correct that since you don't know what you will end up with you don't really know what exactly to bring.

I ended up with an illusion back dress so I couldn't wear a bra. At my fitting I wore seamless nude underwear and that's it.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just wore regular underwear to my dress shopping sessions, a strapless bra and some full coverage underwear like boy shorts or hip huggers are what I personally recommend. I knew strangers would be seeing a lot of my underwear so I wanted the coverage, hehe! Later once you've chosen a dress you should wear whatever undergarments, be they lingerie or shapewear, to your fittings, but there is totally no need to wear that to a shopping session. It is a good idea to bring some pair of heels when you're shopping though. They don't have to be your wedding shoes, but you must have an impression now of what heel hight you will want to wear, so bring anything that is similar to that.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say for the fittings is when you'd want to test out your lingerie or underwear with the dress. For picking out your dress, wear something comfy and light-coloured. I had bought a strapless bra but will be getting cups sewn in to my dress.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore a pair of underwear that I knew would be the easiest to 'hide' so nude thong it was. I also didn't wear a bra to try on any of the dresses at all.

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha same! Plus I'll be so sweaty, no thanks for anything after the wedding. I'll need a shower lol I was sweating just in my first fitting, I can't imagine after the night of eating, drinking and dancing. 😷😷😷
  • Julie-Ann
    Curious February 2018 Ontario
    Julie-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m just going to grab a pair from my drawer and I won’t be wearing a bra with my dress. Also, no lingerie for me.. is that weird? I just don’t see the point. By the time the end of the night rolls around im just going to want to get out of my dress and into bed. Lol
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just wore regular underwear. If you go to David’s they will put you in a bra-corset thing. Other places won’t, but it doesn’t matter so much. My dress has a low back, so you could see my bra and they explained that I can get cups sewn in when they alter it.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To be safe, wear seamless underwear and a skin-colored strapless bra at your fittings. Once you've picked your dress, you'll have a better idea of what you'll need under it on your wedding day!

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wore light coloured seamless underwear and a strapless bra but all of the dresses I tried on, I didn't need a bra. I think once you pick a dress you will have a better idea what to wear under it
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm just wearing regular underwear under my dress for both shopping and the wedding. Something cute and comfortable of course but I don't plan to wear sexy lingerie all day on my wedding day so I'll change after the wedding. For the shopping wear something similar to what you may want at the wedding but comfortable. For me, I'm wearing a strapless bra and a pair of comfy seemless panties to try dresses on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics