Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Does your wedding date have a special meaning?

Joey, on April 19, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 20

How did you choose your wedding date? Does the date have a special significance for you or to your relationship?

Does your wedding date have a special meaning? 1

Photo by Threefold Studios in Hamilton

20 Comments

Latest activity by Dani, on April 29, 2018 at 22:35
  • Dani
    Curious August 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose our wedding date to be on our 3rd anniversary.

An excuse to not forget that date... maybe... Smiley xd

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im not surprised. the date you originally chose is a super popular date amongst Asian couples in particular, so venues etc got booked super fast.
    i had to book extremely early when possible as that's my wedding date!
  • Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We originally wanted August 18 2018 but our photographer wasn't available. My mom and step dad's wedding anniversary is on August 4th which happens to be a long weekend. So before booking our venue I made sure with my mom that it was ok with her to share the same day. She was thrilled!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was the last Saturday available at our venue! We wanted to get married in the summer to make it easier for out-of-town guests to travel. It turns out, it's two days before our dating anniversary so it'll be easy to remember!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all! As soon as we got engaged we started getting asked left right and centre when we were getting married, so we told people "Summer 2019". Well, that turned into the Canada Day long weekend, which then turned into the August long weekend because my FH didn't want to ruin everyone's Canada Day weekend (but it's okay to ruin their August long weekend lol).

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I kind of wish it did! But it's funny, even though I just went with a later date in October (fiancée wanted fall wedding so I tried to get as close to when I thought we would have fall leaves, but early enough that it wouldn't be TO cold) it would feel weird if it wasn't this date. I feel like now that it's our date, it now has meaning. I love it!
  • Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance picked our date. The night he proposed to me he was looking at a calendar and noticed that the anniversary of our second date fell on a Saturday. That was our favourite and most fun date! All we did was meet at a bar and watch the blue jays game but we had so much fun and sold our blue jays jerseys off of our backs to some drunk American. I had never laughed so much in my life until that night.
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's part of the reason i chose a 3 year engagement period (may 2, 2015- aug. 18, 2018). the time let me plan, book, save etc while working.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oooo good to know I had no idea about this until now thanks for sharing!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH pulled a Sheldon from the big bang and figured out the perfect date... it had to be divisible by 3, which is his favourite number.

• Morgane
    Curious February 2019 Alberta
    Morgane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just picked a week in winter and went with the date our photographer was available. Our friends are getting married on a Sunday in September, and because it is out of wedding season and on a Sunday, they've saved around 20% on EVERYTHING from the location to the photographer.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We originally picked April 1 2019 because we were wanting a destination wedding and wanted people to have time to save, and because April Fools day was amusing to us, and fit our personalities.

When we changed our mind on the destination wedding, we kept the year but moved it to May 4 - we are both huge Star Wars fans and have a few Star Wars elements being incorporated into our wedding, so having it on May the Fourth is amazing! Plus since we're having a toonie bar, I know there will be Revenge of the Fifth for some people, haha.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked our day originally out of convenience and timing with a honeymoon cruise... then I started justifying it, as its the week in January that is the most depressing of the year... "Blue Monday" is Monday, January 21, 2019, the day we embark on our honeymoon cruise.

Then someone reminded us that our dear friend who passed away a year ago (probably would have been my fiance's best man), that was his birthday (January 19, our wedding day). We hope he'll bring us some good luck and joy.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    September 21st is my favourite day of the year because of my favourite song by my favourite band - September by Earth Wind and Fire. I always knew I wanted to get married on that day. Then I met my fiance and found out it was also his birthday! Perfect!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't really think about any significance when planning. We had a deployment schedule to work around so we decided on February or March. We ended up choosing the day before my grandma's 90th birthday though. Although it's not her actual birthday she is ecstatic that it's so close.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Neither one of us wanted to get married during the winter or summer. Too many conflicting dates that bring on sadness in the fall, so we went with April, which is a sentimental month for my family. Although she’s no longer with us, we agreed on my grandmother’s birthday, which also happens to be easter weekend 2019.
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

"The number 8 (八, pinyin: ; Cantonese Yale: baat) sounds like "發" (pinyin: ; Cantonese Yale: faat; literally: "to prosper"). There is also a visual resemblance between 88 and 囍 (pinyin: shuāng xĭ; Cantonese Yale: sēung héi; literally: "double joy"), a popular decorative design composed of two stylized characters 喜 (pinyin: ; Cantonese Yale: héi; literally: "joy").

The number 8 is viewed as such an auspicious number that even being assigned a number with several eights is considered very lucky."

-wikipedia
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It didn't have any significance when we originally picked it. We had to default to our wedding date as we had initially chosen the week before but all the hotels were booked for a hockey tournament so our guests would have had nowhere to stay. Once I thought about it though it was rather fitting that we got married on the last day of a month as we ended one month and one chapter of our relationship and started the new month married.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Very much so for us! We actually started dating on Dec 24th, and my fiance proposed on our 4 year anniversary!

Every month we try to do a little something special together on the 24th of every month as a little celebration of a 2-4! So having our wedding on a 24th was my biggest want!

Both of our parents have their wedding anniversary in May (a week apart, same number of years married) and May 24th is exactly a week after!

May 24th is also a feast day in the catholic church so all around it is a perfect date for us!

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose our wedding day simply because it worked the best. It couldn’t be in the middle of the semester for me so it had to be in May-August. We’re having the wedding at a summer camp that has programs running from July-August. And I wanted to pick a long weekend so that my mom (who is a teacher) could have more freedom to be involved. So we chose the May long weekend and we chose the Sunday so that we have Saturday to set up and Monday to clean up. But even though our date selection was very strategic, it just so happened that that date was my parents’ anniversary! They were happy to share it Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics