Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Caleigh
Newbie February 2019 Ontario

Do i actually need a Maid of Honour?

Caleigh, on January 4, 2018 at 15:11 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
I have three people I'd like to have in my wedding party: my two best friends, and my brother.

The friends and I have been best friends for 15 odd years. My brother and I were really close as kids, but we're not crazy close now. Close enough that I'd like him to stand up with me, but not close enough I'd elevate him over my 2 best friends.

Can I just have different people do different things? Does someone HAVE to be the leader??

Has anyone else had to make a similar decision?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Tatiana, on January 9, 2018 at 19:53
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have no wedding party at all, we have different friends helping with different parts of the wedding but no special designations. It would have been hard to do since my besties are very different and I would have felt I needed to ask my SIL. So I say there’s no need cuz I didn’t lol
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't need a MOH, you really don't even need a wedding party if you choose not too. You just need someone to witness your signatures on your marriage license.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not every wedding is based to have a wedding party or anyone id chosen. We had eacha MOH and BM only.
  • H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For a wedding, you need the couple, the officiant, and a witness. That's it. Everything else is totally up to you!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can totally have just bridesmaids and a brideman Smiley smile My two girlfriends were my BMs and not until the day of the wedding did the MOH topic come up. My one friend said they could both be MOH because as she was married she could be the Matron of Honour and our other friend could be the Maid of Honour. In my mind they were on equal footing the whole time.

• Sidni
    Frequent user July 2018 Saskatchewan
    Sidni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have 6 bridesmaids and didn't designate one of them as MOH. They can all help with everything this way and then it isn't all left up to one person. Also, I did not want to hurt any feelings between all my best girls! And it doesn't matter to any of them either!

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only thing my MOH is doing more than my bridesmaids is signing for me. Id say you could very easily have no MOH!
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not having a MOH, both my friends are super busy and they are helping with odds and ends but they wouldn't be able to take on the whole duties.

• Caleigh
    Caleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I think having my brother sign makes the most sense, and I'll continue with my no MoH plan!
  • Caleigh
    Caleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh good! Yeah, my one best friend is married and we all shared most duties as bridesmaids (she similarly didn't want to elevate any one person over the others). We did a 4-pronged speech and it didn't suck! Haha. But she did eventually have her sister be her MoH.

I just wasn't sure if there was something that I was missing if I went the "eff-it, no MoH" route. So thank you! Smiley smile
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don't need to give one of them the title of MOH. They can just be your support system and equally help where they can. MOH is the one on the group that will sign as witness normally so maybe your brother can do that.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There doesn't need to be a maid of honour. The typical maid of honour roles can be split amongst the bridal party. In the weddings I've been in, the bridesmaids have all helped with the bachelorette, shower, stag and doe etc anyway, and so the maid of honour just had to worry about the speech/toast and signing the registry.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics