Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Madisyn
Expert February 2020 Ontario

Ditching the Dj?

Madisyn, on December 4, 2019 at 19:08 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 38
We are strongly considering scrapping the DJ and opting for a carefully curated playlist instead. I have already asked all our guests to provide their favourite songs to dance to. It's quite expensive for only 3 hours of entertainment, and my Dad and Uncle have volunteered to play the part of "MC" to announce dances and such. Since our guest list is only about 40 of our close friends and family, we don't think it will be an issue to get everyone on the dance floor (aka the beach.)

Have you ever attended a wedding sans DJ? What did you think? What are your thoughts on this?

38 Comments

Latest activity by Madisyn, on December 10, 2019 at 08:42
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for the tips! I'm glad to hear you've had positive experiences with this at other weddings.
    I've discovered that Spotify has a 12 second crossfade so there's no awkward gaps between songs!
  • N
    Newbie June 2021 Alberta
    Nathaniel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've attended several weddings now without a DJ. They have all been excellent! However, it is important to still have somebody who knows how to work the soundsystem. Also make sure you have all the songs downloaded as to not rely on Spotify or Apple music just in case something goes wrong with the connection.
    If you have the opportunity, also download the music videos that accompany the songs.

Another thing that I haven't seen but we will be trying at our wedding is longer remixes of multiple songs as to not have too much awkward time between songs.
    Though it may take some time I've been using (a relatively sketchy) YouTube downloader to get videos right off YouTube. It's time consuming but from the wedding I've been to in the past that did it, totally worth it.
  • K
    Newbie August 2020 Nova Scotia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same To you!!!
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've found the advice so difficult to follow because I genuinely want everyone else to love our wedding as much as we do. But, I understand the wisdom in it! Hope yours goes off without a hitch! 😁
  • K
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The best advice I’ve gotten since I’ve got engaged is “it’s your day just do what you want” positive feedback is awesome of course but at the end of the day, it it makes you and/or your partner happy or you think it would be neat to try something - go for it! Have fun!!
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds awesome! Especially since you're also having a live band. Honestly, the resounding positive feedback on this thread has convinced me that it's a good idea. 😊
  • K
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No, it likely will be around 150. But at a distillery/ brewery I work for that has a stage outside. The idea is to have live music outside and a dance floor inside in the events room with a DJ originally... but we just decided (30 seconds ago) to go this route as well! I’ve always been a big fan of music myself so putting together my own play list for my wedding actually sounds like a lot of fun!
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's so unfortunate! But it's great that the wedding party came together to keep the music going. You're absolutely right about us knowing the guests more than a DJ would. Great point! Are you having a smaller wedding, too?
  • K
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey there - I attended a wedding a couple years ago where the DJ they had lined up (family friend) backed down last minute so the wedding party basically DJ’d the dance themselves. It was a smaller wedding, under 100 people and everyone still had a blast! I think you’ll be fine! You know your guests better than a DJ would so I’m sure you’ll be able to create a playlist that your guests will enjoy. I’ve been thinking of doing this as well honestly. With the available music from Spotify and such I wouldn’t be surprised if this became popular for smaller or less traditional wedding.
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I will definitely include the feedback in my wedding post! 😊

It sounds like you have an expert that's willing to help out. That's amazing!
  • Katherine
    Beginner July 2020 Ontario
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd love to hear how this works out! We are also considering it.

My BIL used to be a wedding DJ and I don't want to put him to work but he's offered to help with setting the tone so I have the best of both worlds.

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow that's ridiculous! I hope you aren't paying a fortune for a job Spotify could do for you...
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I definitely get the appeal of a DJ, but I think since our wedding is not very traditional and quite small that it will work. Thanks for affirming that! 😊
  • Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s something I wanted to do but may depend on the venue’s policy? We are going the DJ route but we still have to provide a playlist to the DJ, which is a bit of a kicker. It seems he is just going to press play when we could of done that on a kick ass playlist.
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The few wedding I went to had DJs. I am having a dj.
    But for you I think it's a great idea. I love that the guest have a choice in the mix. It's a fairly small wedding and three hours will fly by. Even better you have someone who is willing to take on the job.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL plus tip ahhaha

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    An extra $1,200 in my pocket does feel nice right about now 😂
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yeah it is. even at my friends parties/weddings/showers they have been doing that as well it saves a TON of $$$$

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're welcome!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh perfect! That sounds like a really dialed team, awesome.

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is way more common than I anticipated! So great to hear this happens regularly in your family. 😊
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah why not!! my cousins have been doing it for showers and stuff now. its great and free lol they literally use spotify and make a play list and let it play out the entire night

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're totally right! Thanks for the reassurance!
  • Emilyn
    Curious July 2022 Manitoba
    Emilyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are skipping out on the DJ, just not worth it to pay some guy $1000 to play tunes off his laptop honestly. Go for Spotify Premium and preplanning the playlist!!!!
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a great tip about queuing up songs, and even letting people make recommendations on the spot as the night goes out. We have the premium version of Spotify so we will definitely be doing that! Thank you so much!!

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm glad you've had positive experiences at weddings without a DJ. My MOH and our groomsman will probably be the ones responsible for keeping the music going. Thanks so much!

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So nice to hear of other people doing the same thing! It's amazing that your FH has the equipment and skills required to DJ. My MOH is amazing at creating good playlists, a groomsman is a promoter at night clubs, and we have a father and uncle willing to MC... I think we should have the right mix of people to fill the gaps.

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's totally reasonable! I think if we had a bigger guest list (like you), then it would be beneficial to have a DJ. Thanks for your input!

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so great to hear! We have a few really great people in mind that can cue up the right songs and keep the energy up. Thanks so much!

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so comforting! Really great to hear that a Spotify list was successful in keeping the party going all night. And it's great (to me) that you don't even remember whether it was a DJ or not... I'm hoping that's what happens for most of our guests! I want them to just remember having good time!

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's so nice to hear that someone else is opting for this! It sounds like you have everything organized to make the playlist/MCs a hit. Thank you for the reassurance!

• T
    Newbie July 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing this as well! We're actually really excited to create a playlist with all of our guests as well. Our wedding is 65 people in a very small hall and we're just going to make sure it's timed as per our schedule so we can leave it playing through-out the night. Spotify has a feature as well (paid version only i think) that you can queue up songs if someone requests it during the wedding as well which I think is so perfect. There's always things that get brought up in the moment and I think it will be a great 'personal' thing to be able to just walk up and find your song and hit " play next in queue". I think we'll handle that in the moment, have our MC (BIL to-be) be able to take request and he can put that up for people.

I love the idea of doing a DIY Spotify DJ for your wedding. Saves money and it makes it so perfectly curated to your guests... and you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics