Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Did you shop for an engagement ring before or after the proposal?

Joey, on May 8, 2019 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 40

Did you shop for engagement rings before the proposal? Did you choose or design the ring together once you knew a proposal was coming? Was it purchased in secret before the proposal?

Or, did the proposal happen without a ring, or with a placeholder ring, so that you could choose the engagement ring(s) together later, ensuring the wearer gets their perfect dream ring while keeping the proposal a total surprise?

Did you engagement ring shop before or after the proposal?

Did you shop for an engagement ring before or after the proposal? 1

Photo by Davie & Chiyo in Vancouver

40 Comments

Latest activity by Nicole, on April 12, 2023 at 07:05
  • Nicole
    Newbie August 2024 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I see it's been a while, but I wanted to chime in. Personally, I did not shop for an engagement ring before the proposal, as it was a surprise. However, I have heard of couples choosing or designing the ring together after knowing a proposal was coming.

• Loi-Marie
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Loi-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went shopping just before our 1st year dating and then we did again a few months before our 3rd year anniversary!!
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He asked me what kind of ring I liked when we had only been dating for about three months but he got the ring in secret when we were at the nine month mark. My mom went to drop something off at his work and he said do you have a few minutes and he walked her to the jewelry store and asked for her blessing and her opinion on the ring. He then asked for my dad's blessing as well. Then he kept it a secret for another two months and proposed on my birthday. This Sunday will be a year since we got engaged! Smiley smile

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He had it picked out 2 months before the engagement. He can't keep a secret so I was SO SUPRISED he managed to pull it off.

• Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had many discussions about getting engaged and married beforehand (we're not one of those couples that doesn't communicate and it's a huge surprise proposal), so we casually did some looking around a few months prior to my fiance proposing. This allowed him to get a good idea of what I liked, but he ultimately chose (and custom designed one). I initially was completely adverse to going and looking - I wanted the romance and surprise.... but I also wanted a ring I liked! LOL, so we kept the looking to a minimum and it was actually pretty fun and exciting!

• Katherine
    Curious August 2019 Alberta
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Before; he took me to Spence last year (we just got engaged this past Easter). It was super awkward, but exciting at the same time! I showed him which styles I like and he ended getting the one that I absolutely loved.

• Audra
    Beginner October 2019 Alberta
    Audra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We discussed rings, but it was purchased in secret before the proposal. I wanted it that way. Is it what I would’ve chosen if I had picked? Probably not. But I love it, and it means more to me that it was chosen for me. I got to hear the story of how it was chosen, saw pictures of the other options, and got to hear the excitement in my fiancé’s voice when she told me how she chose it. Knowing this now, I wouldn’t choose any other ring, it’s absolutely perfect.
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We shopped together before. We wanted to make sure we got a ring that we both loved. Although I knew what the ring would be, he still managed to surprise me with the proposal! Made it just as special.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had discussed rings, but he asked me to pick a “favourite” hahaha so i went shopping before hand, found one i LOVED and he went and got
    it! there was about 3 months between when i picked the ring and when he proposed
  • Rebecca
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We looked at two stores to see what we both liked and didnt like. He had a general idea and secretly did everything himself - custom made to represent us both. Turned out prefect! 🥰
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We looked together and I tried on the one I wanted and it was perfect. He waited until it was on sale because it was really expensive and came as a set. He kept it for over a year before he proposed.
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We looked all the time because I love going into jewelery stores and just looking because there is always something new as they rotate product. One day there was one that I was obsessed with, at the time it was even on sale and everytime I went in I told him that was my ring. Note we were 18, going on 19 when I saw the ring never expected it to actually be my ring.
  • J
    Newbie June 2020 British Columbia
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We looked at many rings before the proposal.

We made sure that we both got rings that we liked.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We shopped together before hand, I narrowed it down to my top 3 but told him one was too expensive. So really it was my top 2.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We shopped together first. He wanted to know what I liked. Which was nice he didn’t want to get me something that I would hate wearing. So I picked out 3 from 2 different stores and he got too pick which store and which ring. So it was a complete surprise for me.
  • Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband picked it out based on what he figured I would like best. I couldn't have done a better job! Plus, he had it in our house for quite a while, just waiting for the right time to ask! Smiley smile
  • R
    Newbie July 2020 Alberta
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went shopping together a year and a half before the proposal so he knew kind of what I liked and then he bought it.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He mentioned that he wanted my input on designs I liked and asked me to save some pics on his computer. About 6 months later he proposed with my ideal ring.

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We shopped together and planned the design of the ring. I left the size of the middle stone up to his discretion, along with the clarity of the stone. We picked the ring up together, however he pulled a trick on me regarding the proposal. I thought I was holding onto the ring for him in my purse for safe keeping while we were walking along Niagara Falls (my first time visiting there). I was imaging that he would ask me for the ring and then I would know when it was time to pop the question. I was thinking gee, the falls are romantic, maybe he will ask me here. Nope, all done walking the falls and nothing. Then all of the sudden he gets down on one knee and takes out my ring and asks me to marry him! I was so surprised and so happy. In June that will be two years since we got engaged and I still LOVE my ring!!!!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely shopped online and provided him with ideas before the proposal. He was actually relieved that I sent him ideas. Since I'll be wearing the ring for the rest of my life, he wanted me to like it haha.

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He surprised me by getting my ring custom made. I had looked at some rings with my mom for fun and I guess she had forwarded the info to him. When he was ready, he went with my mom to pick it out/get it made. The day they went to get it, my parents made up an excuse that they needed him to help my dad move some furniture, and my sister kept me out at the mall with her all day. I had no idea it was all a cover story!
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did go looking around 4 months before he proposed to get an idea of what we both liked. We were both pretty settled on emerald cut, but he surprised me with a style I had never seen or tried on!

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fh bought the ring in secret and surprised me with a proposal... I had no idea it was coming lol. He did know I wanted a vintage ring but couldnt find one he thought I'd love so purchased a new one that looks vintage. I love it!
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance asked what my mom's thoughts were on the ring when he asked for her blessing. So both the ring and proposal were surprises for me 😊
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mr proposal was a surprise and my better half picked my ring without any input from me. I couldn't be happier.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH bought my ring in secret and surprised me with the proposal!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He bought the ring about 3 months before he proposed, all on his own! I was SO impressed. Not only did he pick the perfect ring, he also kept it a secret and managed to bring it to Mexico in our suitcase without me even knowing.

(He literally gives me my birthday presents early because he can't keep a secret, so that was a big deal)

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was on facebook just browsing and I saw an ad saying that People's was coming out with a Disney line of jewelry. I looked online and saw the Elsa ring and just fell in love. It was so...me because not only was it Disney and is Frozen one of my favourite movies, but it was snowflake shaped and I love the winter. I showed FH to give him a hint. Then just passing by in the mall one day we popped in and i tried it on and was just like OMG! Then later he bought it while we were shopping together another day and I just had to wait patiently for a proposal to get it.

• Tess
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Tess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went to a few stores when we decided to get engaged. But ultimately we opted to design our own ring together. I saw the mock ups but never the ring until he proposed with it. Definitely a great way to create something that represents the two of you and your relationship!

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely dragged him to a few jewelry stores before the proposal and very heavily hinted at what I liked Smiley xd he knew I wanted a thin band and a halo, and preferably a square- or emerald-cut diamond. In the end, though, he bought the ring in secret, and made me believe he was delaying the proposal for a few months as well.

(And in the end, I got the thin the band and the halo, but he wanted a solitaire, so he compromised by designing a square halo around a round diamond)

• Sheena
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I told him that I didn't want an engagement ring as the money is better spent elsewhere. It's been confusing people as they don't see the ring and yet I'm engaged. We will be making wooded rings for the wedding to take care of like we will our relationship.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a bit of a pre shop - and I went on and on about how I didn't care what the ring looked like, as long as he picked it out etc etc. But then when he proposed with a circle cut ring, I realized how much I REALLY had wanted a pear shaped ring. FH knew instantly that the ring he bought was not the one I wanted, and told me right away that we could go back and design one together. He had had a feeling that was going to be the case, and was running out of time to find a ring so I guess he did end up with a placeholder ring (never thought of it that way before, I like that sentiment) and then we went back and designed the most beautiful ring (to me) ever! So grateful for our communication skills and that getting another ring did not impact our proposal bliss Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics