Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Did you pick your date or your venue first??

Lynnie, on February 8, 2018 at 13:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 45

How did you decide on your wedding date? Did you have a specific date with special significance, or did you go off of your venue's availability?

Did you pick your date or your venue first?? 1

Photo from The Forest and Stream Club in Dorval, Quebec

Make sure to check out 9 Factors to Consider When Setting Your Wedding Date !

45 Comments

Latest activity by Jocelyn, on March 3, 2018 at 20:37
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Date first.
    8 is a lucky number in Chinese culture, ergo my date being Aug. 18, 2018. whilst i've been told many couples will also be looking at this time of year for their big day, i began talking to vendors/planning/booking etc almost immediately after.
  • Audrey
    Curious August 2019 New Brunswick
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked a date first. We wanted a long weekend. I have close family and friends who lives at 8h drive. Our venue was available so all worked well. I am planning 18 months in advance, it helps haha!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose our date first.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue chose our date bc we had to work within their date books and we were okay with that.
  • Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked a date that worked for the photographer, then booked venue. It all worked out well because our wedding falls on a long weekend!

• Jenna
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided on our wedding date first (September 30th)knowing we wanted it to be as close to my fathers birthday as possible to remember him by but keeping it on the weekend to stay cheaper. We found our venue and they were booked for that weekend already but the next weekend Oct 6th worked and we were in love with the character of the venue so we said yes to the date change and to the venue!

• Charmaine
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Charmaine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our date was very significant, so we stuck with it and eventually found the perfect venue.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a firm date in mind but after we fell in love with venue and they didn't have our date we choose what they had available, 45 days to go!!!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose a firm sentimental date. Have booked appointments to view venues that have that availability and will make a decision shortly after visiting them.
  • Kris
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since we have a short engagement we are going by what date the Venue can give us...we are hoping for June/July for the weather.

• Cristina
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Cristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked our venue by it’s availability. If you know the venue is for you then you do not have to go with a date you chose, it just makes more sense by going with the venues time slot that is free to be able to book the venue you love.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had three days in mind (two saturdays and one Friday) depending on the venue. So we first picked the venue and then the date, based on the availability of the venue.
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had two choices in mind and when we visited the venues made sure they had at least one of the dates available. Got our preferred venue and the date no problem.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose the dte first based on the season and started our planning from there.
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a rough idea when we'd want to have the wedding, but we decided on the venue first, and then we figured out the date. We aligned our preferred photographer and JOP at the same time, to ensure everybody was available the same day. Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked our venue first and then we figured out a date.

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted off season so we knew it was either going to be April or September for us. We didn't want to wait till September. It didn't hurt that i had a coupon for the venue we ended up booking at that got us 15% off food and Bev if we booked in April. We had April 21st in mind and were happy that the venue had availability for that day. Other places we looked would have needed us to choose a different day.

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked our venue first then went from wanting a fall 2018 wedding to a June 2018 wedding! Why wait!
  • Channing
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Channing ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just wanted September so we went venue hunting and just picked out of the dates that were available.

• Kuizenga
    Newbie July 2021 Alberta
    Kuizenga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have always wanted to get married on an 11th since its our anniversary date. But it was so hard choosing a month! After 7 months we finally went ahead and picked July and booked our venue right away! The summer months book up fast so we didnt want to waste any more time figuring out what date to choose if ours was snatched up! We are super excited for next year!

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really wanted our date to be a 13th as that’s when my fiancé and I first started dating nearly five years ago, unfortunately the place we chose was only available for two weekends out of the month so we ended up choosing from those :/
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a ball park on when we wanted to get married. But the venue was the big one for us. It just happened that they had the date that we wanted.
  • Summer
    Devoted May 2019 Ontario
    Summer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose the date first. Our anniversary is May 14th and we didn’t want to get married on mother’s day weekend or the long weekend so we picked May 4th. Our family also loves Star Wars!
  • Katie
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked based on venue availability as we were cutting it close for planning a 2018 wedding, so we didn’t have too many choices for the venue we wanted. If we had decided to wait until 2019 we probably would have a picked a date first as we would have had more options
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Picked our date first. We chose it around our holidays (we're both teachers) and didn't want it in the summer, so it after we did that, we went and looked for venues.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Month and then whatever date worked best with the venue.

• Leslee
    Beginner October 2025 Ontario
    Leslee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked our date first, our date is significant to us so there is no wiggle room!. It is off season so a lot of venues have it available still. Smiley smile

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked out date first... it's significant to us.
  • Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a good idea of which weekend I wanted to get married , either the Friday or Saturday worked for me. When we found our venue they had the Friday available so I was happy Smiley smile
  • K
    Newbie October 2018 Ontario
    Kat ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did venue. But because we want to get married this fall and we couldn't be super picky.

It worked out! We just said "fall".
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked our date first! We worried about booking things after 😊
  • Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked our date first and because it was far enough out we had no trouble getting almost any venue. We have our venue picked and booked.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics