Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie July 2021 Nova Scotia

Deciding colours and theme

Shannon, on August 29, 2018 at 12:44 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
How did you pick you colours or theme? I have so many to chooses I can’t seem to decide.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Renee, on August 30, 2018 at 09:33
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Which is why I went with black and gold. That way, any colours that I add can just be accents. I have alot of neutral colours like biscotti (bridesmaid dresses) champagne, taupe. But I have alot of rich colours in my flowers like deep reds and dark pinks. I have blush roses too. Just made it easier because I also find it hard when you choose colours then you are dealing with different vendors then the colours will always be slightly off. I'm waaaaaaay to OCD for that lol
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What's outside of your venue? What time of year is it? What's your FAVOURITE colour that you want for your bridesmaids... does that flatter all of them? Is there a darker or lighter shade of that colour that would be flattering on them?

I picked our colours by essentially not having colour... haha. When I used to dream of a summer wedding, it was bright, bold, beautiful colours (teals, aquas, pops of orange)... then I drifted into fall weddings, and I looooved the burnt oranges, purples and burgundies.

We ended up with a January date, and our venue has a lot of exposed beams/wood, stone fireplaces and twinkle lights... so we are just doing black/silver and sparkle, with hints of navy. Our wedding invitations have dark tree silhouettes, with water colour purples and blues. It looks like what the view is looking out from our venue on a clear winter's night (we are in the woods on a mountain top).

You can try and match/coordinate all you want, but you should really pick one colour that's your go-to, do or die, love it, can't live without it, then go with one or two colours from there that coordinates with it.

Good luck!

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1. Season
    2. Venue, and past weddings there
    3. Our favourite colours
    4. Wedding decor we gravitated towards.

Lots of Pinterest and wedding blog surfing led us to understand we definitely like “industrial romantic” decor. Based on our season and favorite colours, we opted for burgundy, gold, navy, green, ivory and black.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a simple modern decor set up. The pride flag colours was the inspiration as it was a fusion wedding of Indian and civil.

The vases each had a colour of the flag with LED lights and white floral ball. The vibrant colours comes as the Indian theme. The main colours were white and black with touch of red. Dark gray was the invitation colour and Thank You card as the same for the cake.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Time of year could also be factored in. We picked our colours based off the season. We will be getting married Oct 4, 2019 and wanted colours that will look good in our venue during that time of year.

Also like Tori said, we both picked colours we liked. My FH loves blue, so we are going with Navy blue for the guys, and I always tend to gravitate towards burgundy in the fall, so we went with that for my girls.

• S
    Newbie July 2021 Nova Scotia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks ladies. Love the idea of basing it off the venue.
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just took the colours that complimented the venue and went with it. It is an Italian restaurant, so it kind of has that rustic feel anyway. We ended up going with gold, greenery, white/cream, and a deep plummy/eggplant purple.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided that we didn't care if it "looked like a wedding" and we chose our favourite colours. I chose plum (purple) and teal (blue). (We may throw in orange as well to bring them together so that they don't look like a peacock.)

It's a party for the joining of two people. It should represent you and your likes. If you like certain theme colours then go with that, but if you don't then pick what colours are your favourite. People will probably remember the wedding more if they colour choices aren't basic anyway.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My colours were royal blue and burnt orange. I chose them because I love the look of them together, and I wanted something slightly different. I image searched "orange and blue" to find the exact shades I wanted.

The downside of choosing these colours, was NO ONE else had them, so all my decor I had to make myself, or buy new. If you want to be able to buy someone else's decor or napkins, etc, I would suggest joining your local wedding buy and sell groups on facebook. That way, you can see what colours are being sold the most, and choose those colours.

If you don't want to buy second-hand items, talk to your fiance, your wedding party. Even though it's not necessary, it's nice to consider the opinions of others, especially when it affects them (such as the colour dress your bridesmaids will be wearing). I knew all 3 of my ladies looked good and felt comfortable in blue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics