Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lissa
Devoted October 2022 Ontario

Custom Dress

Lissa, on March 7, 2022 at 15:31 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 15
After trying on about 40 dresses I couldn’t find the “one” so I’m working with a local wedding dress design who is custom making one. Price wise it’s pretty similar to buying off the rack and now I won’t have to worry about alterations. It’s a little scary not seeing the dress though. Anyone else going this route?

I had my first fitting of the mock-up bodice & sleeve on the weekend and it’s already starting to look real. I didn’t get any photos, but here is the sketch and the lace. In the photo of the lace, the lace on the left is from my mums veil in 1972 - it actually has similar details (pretty crazy since I picked the dress lace without seeing the veil) so the old lace is going to be used on a new veil!
Custom Dress 1
Custom Dress 2

15 Comments

Latest activity by Lissa, on March 8, 2022 at 11:13
  • Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    For sure, it’s not the cost of a budget dress but did work out cheaper than dresses I was looking at since no further alterations are needed.
    Wow fitting is a complex process, you’re brave!
  • T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It looks like it will be beautiful!

I am also getting a custom dress as I wanted something a bit untraditional. I love that it will be uniquely me and it isn't the price of a budget dress but very reasonable considering I don't need alteration and how much wedding dresses can cost! I am not getting it from someone local however so it's been a process (mailing patter mock-ups back and forth!) and you really have to trust your seamstress!

• Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can't wait!

• Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's so exciting!!!! I love the lace detail Smiley love

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's pretty sweet. You must be excited.

• Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's going to look absolutely beautiful 😍
  • Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Since I tried on so many dresses I had a fairly good idea of what I did and didn’t like about the dresses I tried on. I’m also a sewist in my spare time so I had a pretty good understanding of what works for me and what doesn’t. We spent about an hour talking through options and she sketched out the dress and we looked at the lace options. This weekend I got to try on the first toile of the bodice and sleeve and it fit pretty well, just a couple tweaks here and there. The lace is on order now so I’ll go back in a couple weeks to review the placement on the bodice and then I should be able to try on a fully assembled dress in May!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I still think it's awesome. Fact of the matter is, any made to order dress will cost a pretty penny and you're able to pretty much get one for a fraction of the cost for a typical custom dress. So score! Smiley smile

How many drawing revisions did you have to go through before deciding on the final design?

• Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I will! The lace comes in in a couple weeks and the dress will be ready to try in May!
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow, that dress design looks beautiful! I hope you share it with us once you get it!! Smiley love

• Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can’t wait for May to see it made!
  • Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well I should clarify it’s still an expensive dress, but it was the same range as what I was looking at off the rack and I won’t need to pay additional for alterations since it’s custom made Smiley smile
  • Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love that idea!!! That's so awesome you can get a custom one of a kind dress.
    Also super awesome it ended up costing about the same as a dress from a store!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's awesome that you can get a custom one-of-a-kind dress for the price of an off the rack. How did you manage that steal?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics