Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Frequent user April 2021 Ontario

Covid-19 Wedding Cancellations & Rebooking

Megan, on March 17, 2020 at 11:10

Posted in Plan a wedding 87

Hi all! Well we've officially had to cancel our April 4 wedding. Our venue is closed for events, our caterer is quarantined, and both our parents are high risk. We're still going to try and legally get married that day with 2 witnesses and the officiant, and we'll eventually rebook the wedding...

Hi all!
Well we've officially had to cancel our April 4 wedding. Our venue is closed for events, our caterer is quarantined, and both our parents are high risk. We're still going to try and legally get married that day with 2 witnesses and the officiant, and we'll eventually rebook the wedding reception.

Who else has cancelled their wedding so far, and when will you decide to rebook? Are you waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks? Will you rebook as soon as you're able to get the next available date? Are you going to rebook next year?
I'm interested to hear how everyone is planning on proceeding and who else has had to cancel!

87 Comments

• P
    Newbie March 2020 Alberta
    Precious ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hear ya, we all just want to get married at this point. My parents will not be coming, they would have to fly to come here, and I can’t risk it. As painful as it is, it would hurt me for them to come and get sick. Such a hard decision!

Thinking of all the brides out there ❤️
  • Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry! Glad to hear that you're still getting married. I feel like most of us just want to get married and move forward... Will your parents be at the small reception if they're high risk? Our parents are also high risk, and we have been going back and forth trying to decide to include them or just keep it to 2 witnesses and the officiant.

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! No, but I did have some offer refunds without me asking. Most of our vendors are small local businesses, so I was so surprised by their generosity. We just wanted to postpone and rebook when things get back to normal.

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was just talking to FH about the challenge of choosing a new date that will work for all the same vendors and important family and friends. We're going to give ourselves a few weeks to let everything go before trying to tackle that challenge.

I'm also so sad about the honeymoon. That's legitimately the thing I was looking forward to the most! Are you going to rebook it?

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We did not have wedding insurance. We haven't asked for a refund, but surprisingly I've had a number of vendors offer me one without asking. We simply asked to postpone. Our venue has said once they're able to open again, we can sit down and choose any date we want. Everyone has been super understanding and accommodating.

I think you'll be okay by September. We'll likely choose a date before the end of the year (although we joked that if I pick one in November, we'll get a hell of a snow storm that day).

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry! That status picture is 100% accurate. I hope you do enjoy your ceremony on Saturday.

• M
    Beginner April 2020 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We want to rebook eventually but we aren't going to until we know we won't be in the same position again Smiley sad
  • Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry! I feel for you! Will you rebook eventually, or will you just wait to see how things play out?

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Thankfully we have the marriage license, and we have a few officiants we know who can legally marry us if we're in a pinch.
    Most of the civic centres in our area have shut down, so no way to get a marriage license now!

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry! It is heartbreaking. I feel you - I am so over wedding planning and just want to move on with things. Your Mom sounds amazing. You'll have to let us all know when you pull the trigger on the impromptu wedding.

• P
    Precious ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww girl I feel you! I get married on the 21st! as well. Hang in there!

• P
    Precious ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine is this saturday!

Im in a different province and none of my bridesmaids can make it. My parents can't make it as well (High risk), we had to cancel our vendors as well, not to mention our honeymoon! Such weird times we are in.

We decided to still get married on that day, and have a small reception, but hope to maybe do a different reception once everything settles down.

• Tolu
    Frequent user March 2022 Ontario
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear that some of you had to cancel your weddings. Sending you all positive vibes.

Out of curiosity, did any of your vendors or venue refund you your money back?

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m the same date! We’re waiting as of right now to cancel. It’s still far too early for June. The situation changes day by day... I think we can hold out a bit longer 🙂
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have cancelled our April 4 Wedding also. All our vendors have been good about allowing us to choose a new date. None have offered refunds just movement of the date. Hoping to still have a civil ceremony with our immediate families and close friends on April 4 and then have the celebration with family and friends later.

Now the new challenge is to find a date that works for all of them. We do have wedding insurance which includes coverage for cancellation...I need to further investigate what that means in this situation.
    Right now we are the saddest about cancelling our honeymoon. Definitely were looking forward to that.

• Bailey
    Newbie October 2020 Alberta
    Bailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear you had to cancel your wedding I can only imagine the stress involved. I live in Alberta and our wedding is June 20, 2020. I'm honestly not sure how much longer I should be waiting or if I should just start cancelling vendors just in case. I'm curious to see what everyone else is doing. I don't even want to rebook at this point. Our wedding planning has been a nightmare this past year and we just want to get married. So if I can I'll keep the same date and cancel the 100 person wedding for just immediate family in the backyard.

• Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Curious to know if your venue and other vendors have refunded if you have had to cancel, whether it was a mandated by your province or not? And did you have wedding insurance? Our wedding isn't until September but weighing out of options.

• Zaria
    Newbie March 2021 Ontario
    Zaria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding was supposed to be on March 21st. The venue has now allowed us to change our date to March 20, 2021 thankfully, but we will still be getting married this Saturday. We have our license and our officiant. If anyone is interested in being there, we're going to a public park for a walk. I'm beyond caring at this point. I've cried so many times these last few days as our guests cancelled one by one and all the updates from the government were not great, but not decisive enough for our venue to let us cancel.

I'm just ready to get married.

Real footage of me just barely hanging on:

• M
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We've postponed indefinitely. We were Apr 04 too. We will probably still just do an on paper marriage for April 04 to have our day but all ceremony and reception stuff is not a go for now Smiley sad I'm devastated. It has sucked!
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am currently discussing if this is something we should do or not. Many of our guests are federal employees and their time off requests are being reviewed to see if their time off is being revoked. Our wedding is 59 people not including the DJ and venue staff and the venue at this time isn't concerned but if most of our guests cant attend anymore....its on April 25 and we would still get married that day but our officiant is a friend and we have our license already.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry to hear you had to make such a tough decision.

Keep an eye on the courthouses if that is where you plan to do your legal ceremony. In New Brunswick ours are only doing essentials (criminal and custody mostly) with as few people as possible.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm also so sorry that you had to cancel your wedding. Smiley sad I know how devastating it is. While it is nice that there is a community of couples out there who are going through the same thing, it's tragic that so many people are affected by this (and in so many ways beyond just weddings.)

We weren't going to celebrate our "legal wedding" day as our anniversary, because we were really holding out for April 11th. But now, with no idea when we're going to get to having a wedding, we think we might just celebrate February 14th. What are you planning on doing?

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We officially cancelled our April 11th destination wedding yesterday. We made the difficult decision over the weekend, and it was heartbreaking. After well over a year of planning, for it to come to this in the final weeks... I just don't have words. My entire dream and vision are gone.

My Mom has been a superhero and she's arranged for a whole wedding in my hometown that can be executed with only a moment's notice. We have to wait this out a bit to see when we will be able to have a gathering and when regular services will resume. I'm still hoping that we will be able to pull it off near the end of April, or May... But there's a good chance this is drawn out until the summer. I really can't imagine spending multiple more months anticipating the wedding. We got legally married on February 14th, so we're really just waiting for the big party so that we can move onto the next chapter of our lives! I'm so over wedding planning and waiting!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics