Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Frequent user April 2021 Ontario

Covid-19 Wedding Cancellations & Rebooking

Megan, on March 17, 2020 at 11:10 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 87

Hi all!
Well we've officially had to cancel our April 4 wedding. Our venue is closed for events, our caterer is quarantined, and both our parents are high risk. We're still going to try and legally get married that day with 2 witnesses and the officiant, and we'll eventually rebook the wedding reception.

Who else has cancelled their wedding so far, and when will you decide to rebook? Are you waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks? Will you rebook as soon as you're able to get the next available date? Are you going to rebook next year?
I'm interested to hear how everyone is planning on proceeding and who else has had to cancel!

87 Comments

Latest activity by Linttvar, on June 14, 2020 at 13:24
  • Linttvar
    Newbie March 2021 British Columbia
    Linttvar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is late October and I was holding off until July to make a decision, but in any case, it does seem like the wedding will need to be different than we imagined, given people not wanting to travel, not wanting to be touching / in big groups

I’m hoping things are better by July, not because of our wedding but because this is a nightmare.

• Lisa
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are postponing our wedding, we had a lot of guest that where coming in from BC and the USA, when we contacted our venue, DJ and church they where more then willing to help us out and make changes.

We have decided that we are going to be married next year. This will give everyone a chance to feel comfortable with traveling.

I think that everyone is in the same boat right now and feeling the same way. Hope it all works out for you.

#postponedweddingplans

• T
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Trisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Still trying to figure out what we're doing but these are definitely helpful!

• L
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    LJ Hisey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi!

I'm not sure if you have already figured out your situation or not! The girl who did my wedding stationary created free downloadable edit friendly postponement notices.

I would imagine you can either print and mail them or send them as an email. You could put a line in directing people to your wedding website for information!

https://themonarchdesign.co/postponements-1

• T
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Trisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Curious about this question too! We have our wedding set for June 21, 2020 and have already sent out our invitations and customized things as well. If we do end up postponing, I'm thinking of maybe sending out an e-invite to everyone and having them RSVP through that way instead. We spend a bunch on the invitations and postage to mail them out and I LOVED our invitations - I just don't have it in me to go through that whole process again Smiley sad

I'm not too familiar with any sites for online wedding invites and RSVPs, so suggestions are highly appreciated! We had 2 ceremony inserts, a details card and an RSVP card - many that I'm coming across are only for a single page.

• E
    Beginner February 2021 British Columbia
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like everyone else...we have been looking at all our options about our wedding ( July 18th ) Sadly we have made the decision to postpone. I do have 2 questions for everyone else that also decided to postpone....What are you doing about the invitations that you had already sent out? are you doing to send out your new date? Are you letting your guest know verbally...did you redo your invitations or do save the date cards? Also for any "take home gifts"...We had personalized wine glasses done with our names....our date/year....what did you do to to fix that?....I don't want to reorder and spend all that money again Smiley sad What's everyone's thoughts and feelings about this whole thing?? Im always here to listen...I like to vent once in a while...LOL

• Jenny
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were supposed to get married August 26 in Mexico. With so much uncertainty on travel, and concerns growing from our guests, we have decided to postpone to October and have a local wedding. We are very lucky to have our #1 local venue available on a Saturday, as another couple happened to move their wedding to 2021. It's very stressful having planned a full wedding, and now doing to all over! Didn't use weddingwire for the first one, but definitely feeling more organize now.

• M
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The only changes we have made is to cancel our jack N Jill. We are waiting until June to make our decision. So much uncertainty and restrictions change each day
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If by any chance your venue is booked in 2021, you can always request a Friday or Sunday wedding

• Sonja
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey

August 14, 2020 here. At a complete loss as to what to do here.. have you made any decisions about postponing or otherwise? With the closure on businesses and social distancing protocol seeming like they’ll last until end of June with a potential “gradual” reintegration for businesses .. it all just feels like a mess.
  • Jennifer
    Beginner June 2023 Quebec
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was originally planned for June 20th 2020 in Montreal, we made the difficult decision 3 weeks ago to move it to October 2020 (luckily all of our vendors were available). Now I’m nervous again that this date might not even be feasible and more than likely 2021 is probably heavily booked now. This is so depressing. I think if we need to cancel again we may just elope and possibly have a big party at a later date. My FI and I have already been together for 10 years, so waiting another 1-2 years for a wedding just isn’t something I want right now, though sad at the idea of losing my dream wedding.
  • Rachel
    Beginner October 2020 British Columbia
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yessssssss. Postponing once is enough stress. I just find myself being mad at like anyone who has gotten married within the last couple years and am all jealous. Now that i have my beautiful dress Im kind of over the eloping feeling and i was ready to have a day to celebrate US. And now it feels like its being stolen away.
    Yeah! Everyone else is just doing the
    "ya, that sucks. Unprecedented times, what do ya do?" And like NO! Its more than just "ruining a vacation or a trip! It was my wedding! That I planned and stressed over and poured my heart into making everything perfect for it to be skipped over. I feel better after venting to you! Smiley smile
  • J
    Beginner June 2022 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was sept this year and we just cancelled til sept 2021. It sucks trying to navigate this, I feel for all of you
  • Kristen
    Beginner September 2020 Saskatchewan
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100% same situation ! ! I had my cry last Friday haha It was supposed to be my staggette ! so definitely was an emotional day.

But yes If we postpone until September and its still hasn't improved then, we are going to cancel all together and just elope. And my parents know that and support that, its just not fair to us to have to keep putting it off for everyone else sake because they want to "party, sorry celebrate" on our expense. I'm willing to postpone it once but not anymore than that. lol. I really do hope that it does improve, but im not keeping my hope up, I've already come to terms with it not happening in May. Even if the restrictions are lifted i don't think it will be lifted enough to have a wedding. .

There would been some plus to postponing it until September. a) i originally wanted my wedding in September just didn't want to wait 2 years hahah jokes on me. b) my flowers are Sunflowers and my venue is planting a sunflower field this year and they will be bloom that time of year Smiley heart. c) one of the alternative dates my venue has given me ended up being the exact weekend my me and my fiance met 10 years ago ... so that would be kinda cool. and d) have a little extra time to save for the wedding.

Man it feel so good to talk about it with someone that is going through the same situation and having the same feelings ! I haven't felt like i can talk about it with anyone. I don't want to annoy them with it.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg! Same!!!! We didnt even want a wedding. Family insisted. Now you get to the point where all the stress of planning is done and you get to just wait and be all excited for it to all come together....and now it might not happen till August or not at ALL. Its devastating. I cried last night for the first time. Today I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about May though. But still. Its the unknown aspect too.
  • Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG SUCH A ROLLER COASTER !! I never really wanted a big wedding at first, and really still isnt that big (like 100 guest) but once i started to plan and thing started to line up and the date got closer i was getting super excited ... Like I get it, its supposed to be about the marriage and not the wedding which is one day but to be honest, the hardest part is i've put in so much work into planning and making all the decorations; to not be able to see it all come together is is kinda heart breaking.

I'm now leaning towards just postponing until September, 1) the venue normally wont refund now that it is closer then three months away from the original date and we already paid in full 2) if the government still have non essential services closed my photographer wont be able to take the photos of or Elopement ceremony which is what i was still hoping to be able to have. She did say that she could schedule us just a photo shoot for afterwards when the restrictions are lifted but it wont be the same if we had to reenact it. Its such a hard decision especially since we dont even know if it will be over by the postponed date!

• Kenna
    Curious September 2023 Nova Scotia
    Kenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is on September 12th and we've been mulling over what to do should the situation not improve or worsen before then... If we had to, we can cancel our venue for a full refund of all deposits made and so far we only have one other vendor with a small deposit we are okay with losing... We would likely reschedule for another few years down the road and focus on purchasing a home rather than continue to rent.

• K
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Kendra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our date is August 29th and we're having our ceremony at Toronto City Hall. I am waiting to hear back from them whether or not our booking has been cancelled or suspended... I'm so hesitant on booking any rentals for our outdoor reception! I'm scared this won't be over and I will lose the 40% NON-REFUNDABLE deposit they are asking for ... I haven't sent out the invites yet and I am pretty much at a stand still on stuff to do! Smiley sad

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same for May 23!!!!

I think we're planning to do the same thing as you, August for the re-book but ya, still hoping to get legally hitched on the May date hopefully, then pushing the reception. I'm devastated, everything was falling into place, I had everything organized and was just counting down the days....Now. who knows...

Then the day my venue called to say she was legally forced to close and not have gatherings over 50 I was in shock and then not 2hrs later my dress place called to tell me my dress was in and I should hurry for my first fitting before they had to close. WHAT. A. ROLLERCOASTER of emotions.

• Sandra
    Newbie November 2021 Ontario
    Sandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi all,

We were originally due for an April 25th wedding. Obviously postponed when things started to get serious to July 11 but with everything going on now, we decided it was best to postpone until the Fall. Our thinking was that even if everything is okay by May/June, people might still not feel comfortable in crowds (a lot of our guests are flying in from the States). So we called the hall today and they only had November dates left! They told us the June weddings were starting to postpone so we pounced on a November 14 date. I would always consider the possibility of putting a future date on hold. Our hall and church have been so great. Most vendors have been accommodating, as they should be considering the circumstances. The only money we lost was for some hotel bookings the night before the wedding and our marriage licence fee (City said it would still expire within 3 months). Other than that, things have been okay. My thoughts are with all of you as this really sucks but we'll get through it!

• Anna
    Newbie May 2020 Gdansk
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the reply ! You guys sound very resourceful ! I hope you have a great wedding this weekend ! I can't believe this is happening but what can we do.

All the best Smiley heart

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm in the same boat! Our wedding was supposed to be May 23rd, 98% sure that's not going to happen and my Staggette party was supposed to be March 27/28...cancelled. It was definitely an emotional weekend. I felt that i was finally able to get excited about the wedding since it was getting so close!

I'm pretty sure we have decided to push the date back until September, luckily all the vendors i have talked to so far have been accommodating, our venue is allowing us to choose another date that is available in September(with first pick since we are already paid in full and were supposed to be the first wedding of the season). If things are still crazy in September we will just get married with our JP and out witnesses and have someone live video chat it on zoom for our parents/siblings since they are all a couple provinces away or out of country, its not ideal but at least we have that option with all the technology we have now a days. Then we will have a reception/party once everything has settled down enough to do so.

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Wedding is supposed to be May 23rd, we are waiting to see what happens and will be making our decision by mid April but aren't keep our hope up. I have already contacted our venue to see if they have any dates available in September (fingers crossed that this COVID has settled down enough to have a wedding by then) which luckily they did. I think the plan will be to postpone until September and if the situation is still the same we will just get married with the JP and our witnesses, maybe live Zoom it all it for the parents/ siblings (they all live out of province) and have a reception after once the country is in the all clear.

Its been such a hard decision cause everything is so unknown!

• Genny
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Genny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes as a future date. It was difficult to find a day to coordinate all the vendors so we finally picked a day and the one say we picked he wants to charge an additional 500 for that day.
  • Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

JoAnne thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you're still getting married. I've offered my parents either a live zoom chat to watch us get married, or we can get married on our front lawn and they can watch from their cars. They're not happy with either option, but I've realized I can't make everyone happy. We really want to get married! Best of luck on your wedding Smiley smile

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Genny, that's terrible! I understand that photographers will likely be out a lot of money this year, but it's sort of a very unprecedented situation that was beyond anyone's control. Would he even offer that $500 as a credit towards a photoshoot in the future instead of just losing it?

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Anna,

I'm sorry to hear that! We've come up with two scenarios for a bit of a work around for a legal ceremony for this coming weekend. We're going to get married with an officiant and two witnesses, and then either have a live Zoom chat with our family (one of the witnesses would film), or we're going to get married on our front lawn so our parents can pull up and stay in their cars (but still watch the whole thing because they're giving us a hard time to be honest). None of it's ideal, but we've decided that we really do want to get married and postpone the reception until next year when things get better.
    Good luck!

• Anna
    Newbie May 2020 Gdansk
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding date was May 15th at Cobourg town hall with small cocktail reception for family here locally.

Our big wedding ceremony and actual wedding reception was May 26th in Sopot Poland for my family (who all lives there). Right now the Sheraton hotel is closed to April 10th and doesn’t look like any of our plans are going to work for a destination wedding. I think all incoming persons have to quarantine for two weeks which isn’t going to be possible for us to go for that Long and just have to sit in a
    So uncertain but way too soon for this to have all blown over by May. City hall is closed to public too and Ontario said no gatherings over 6 people. I’m not sure we can even have our civil ceremony if only 6 people are allowed. I don’t want to exclude our closest family and friends. We originally only had invited 20 people to the civil ceremony. Ugh I’m so torn. We really don’t want to reschedule to next year.
    Hopefully we can bump it all back to the fall 😢😭. What a crazy time to have wedding plans. My bridal shower was supposed to be last weekend and it got cancelled, my bachelorette was this coming weekend 👎🏼 Also cancelled.
  • A
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Ashton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Although we cancelled our wedding for June 20th, we also decided on a civil ceremony and possibly a celebration next year. With that being said, some of our vendors have been extremely accommodating and issued full refunds while others like our photographer, refuses to give us a penny back and is keeping our 8k deposit as he “secured our date.” Although we were trying to come to a middle ground with him he still refused and had absolutely no remorse given the circumstances. I’m all for supporting small businesses, I told him to keep our initial deposit of 3,600.00 if it means we can meet half way and he still refused.
  • Sadie
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your words are truly after my own heart.

I love that you guys are going and getting legally married! We thought about that after but always know we will say our anniversary is 03-21-20!

How were your vendors?
    We were to be married March 21st which of course it was beautiful... deep down was wishing it would have been a horrible cold and rainy day. That was just an attempt to make it all feel a wee better.

We made the hard choice on the 13th... unforgettable day mandated shutdown in my line of healthcare (thank goodness in an odd way my fiance is an essential service - but also HATE it) and not having our wedding. It's crazy to say the least.

After we postponed we were given dates that were odd... Sundays and some way to close to this even think this would be resolved. We did reschedule (not in writing or signing yet as we felt we needed time to think) we said Oct. 30. Always wanted to get married in the fall its just now a Friday which that is small at this point and devils night (hate halloween.) I just have things with this date that I truly dislike but... will is be over or is their disappointment coming again. I keep saying it could be "over" too but maybe under 50 again. There is site to and end and thats the worst part.

We are sitting down tomorrow before my fiance heads for work for a big talk... I feel at this point it may be lets go get married and have the wedding when this is "done." It can be smaller and at our family farm... we can have the big wedding for an anniversary. Its so tough sooooo tough... so thats my story not so much my advice.

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is not right... he is not empathetic of the situation that is going on in our world right now. I'm sorry you are going through that. Talk to your family and fiance and see what they say. I probably wouldn't go forward with him if hes asking for extra money.
  • Genny
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Genny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes he is available for the May 2021 date and wants to Charge an additional 500. Also says he is still available for our April 11th wedding despite the venue being closed and that we are breaching the contract. Peter B Photography in Kitchener Waterloo has great photos but lacks buissness ethics or any compassion.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics