Skip to main content
Megan
Frequent user April 2021 Ontario

Covid-19 Wedding Cancellations & Rebooking

Megan, on March 17, 2020 at 11:10

Posted in Plan a wedding 87

Hi all! Well we've officially had to cancel our April 4 wedding. Our venue is closed for events, our caterer is quarantined, and both our parents are high risk. We're still going to try and legally get married that day with 2 witnesses and the officiant, and we'll eventually rebook the wedding...

Hi all!
Well we've officially had to cancel our April 4 wedding. Our venue is closed for events, our caterer is quarantined, and both our parents are high risk. We're still going to try and legally get married that day with 2 witnesses and the officiant, and we'll eventually rebook the wedding reception.

Who else has cancelled their wedding so far, and when will you decide to rebook? Are you waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks? Will you rebook as soon as you're able to get the next available date? Are you going to rebook next year?
I'm interested to hear how everyone is planning on proceeding and who else has had to cancel!

87 Comments

  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Genny, is your photographer available on May 2021? It doesnt make sense for them to charge you $500 for postponing considering the circumstances... that is wrong.
    • Reply
  • Genny
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Genny ·
    • Dispute
    Our Wedding was booked for April 11th and since everything is being shut down in Ontario and we are starting to rise in cases we made the sad decision to postpone. trying to coordinate all our vendors has been difficult and the hardest being our photographer. We tried forna new date late summer and he is booked. So we rebooked our date for May 2021. Now the photographer wants to charge us an additional 500 or will be keeping our deposit. Does anyone have an opinion or suggestion for us? Such an incredibly frustrating time.
    • Reply
  • Kathy
    Curious June 2022 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute

    I am feeling so sorry for all of you that have had to cancel your day Smiley sad

    We decided last min to choose June 2021 instead of this year.

    My fiancé's daughter is getting married in Sept so we didn't want to take anything away from her wedding.

    I'm glad we did!

    Honestly my heart goes out to all of you!! I hope you are able to come up with alternative plans!!

    • Reply
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    The only thing is that I’m adding those little winter jackets for bridesmaids for photos🤣 everything else will stay the same. Everything was indoors so no much has changed in that aspect. Also I had chosen a dusty blue for dresses for spring and thank god I chose long! Hahaha so I feel like so far that’s all I need to add.
    • Reply
  • JoAnne
    Newbie May 2020 Alberta
    JoAnne ·
    • Dispute

    Hi Megan, Our wedding was scheduled for May 7, 2020 and our venue is closed until further notice.

    We are going to get a marriage license tomorrow and will get married on May 7th but will not be having a reception. We hope our parents can join us, but we're not hopeful.

    I am sad but completely understand.

    Keep smiling Megan. You are not alone. JoAnne

    • Reply
  • A
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I postponed my April wedding to November as well! Any ideas on how you’re going to change your spring wedding till now an almost winter wedding? That’s what I’m currently thinking about!
    • Reply
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    I'm so sorry that's happening! I would maybe reiterate that the Ontario government has closed schools and banned gatherings of more than 50 people until at least April 6. I suspect this will be extended for much longer, and there will be even more limitations, so it will probably be cancelled anyhow. Also, reiterate that you're not cancelling, but postponing until it is safe to gather with people again.

    • Reply
  • Julie
    Newbie September 2022 British Columbia
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    Me too! I am trying to be positive! I hope everything is okay soon and we all can have the weddings we have been planing for Smiley smile

    • Reply
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    We dont have a date/deadline yet. We're just playing it by ear right now. We'll see what happens in a month or so I guess. I'm just trying to stay positive.
    • Reply
  • Julie
    Newbie September 2022 British Columbia
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    Hi Alix, I hope everything gets better by then. Our wedding is on July 18 and I am also starting to get a little anxious. Do you have a date/deadline to decide whether to cancel?

    • Reply
  • Randy
    Newbie July 2022 British Columbia
    Randy ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    Thanks Sasha. That's what we're thinking too.

    • Reply
  • M
    Newbie March 2021 Ontario
    Matthew ·
    • Dispute
    Our wedding is on April 4th and our venue is closed until March 31st and is giving us a tough time trying to reschedule....any advice?
    • Reply
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    We rebooked for November and hoping it will be better by then. There is really no way to know!

    • Reply
  • E
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Elena ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    When did you rebook it to? My wedding is also May 9 and we haven’t made any decisions because no one knows how long this will go on for
    • Reply
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    My wedding is june 20th. I am waiting for now too. I'm starting to get worried but trying to stay optimistic. Our photographers book up so fast that we'd probably have to wait a long time to rebook anything.
    • Reply
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute

    Can you just postpone the entire thing for fall this year so at least youre parents can be with you guys? or even winter like november is still a nice time before the snow comes

    • Reply
  • M
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Going to wait to hear from our vendors. I’m sure they are under outrageous amounts of stress. Gonna see how things are come May & June.
    • Reply
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute

    We officially rebooked our wedding today. It has been a very stressful week. I feel like the weight is off my shoulders. I am waiting for some vendors but the biggest for us was our Venue.


    • Reply
  • Michele
    Newbie July 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michele ·
    • Dispute
    Our wedding is July 25 and as of now we are just sitting tight and will see where things are in a couple of months. We are expecting about 100 guests with some traveling from other parts of Canada, and I’m choosing to be optimistic for now and not make a rushed decision- I’ll probably decide by end of May if I’m going to postpone. Hoping everything works out for all you couples!!
    • Reply
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I wouldn't send your formal invites yet. You still have time to do that.
    • Reply
  • Briana
    Curious April 2024 Ontario
    Briana ·
    • Dispute
    I’m so sorry to hear that! I’m in a similar boat, mine is April 18th and while most vendors are willing to continue we’re being pressured from many family members to cancel or postpone. We’re also going to arrange to have a small ceremony on the day of but a reception at a later date.
    We’re currently battling with whether or not we should still go ahead. Ya know, I’m Case things get better. What helped you decide?
    • Reply
  • M
    Newbie August 2020 Quebec
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    August 1st here, not sure what to do Smiley sad how long are you waiting it out for?
    • Reply
  • Randy
    Newbie July 2022 British Columbia
    Randy ·
    • Dispute

    Our wedding is scheduled for August 2nd., and for now, it's still on.

    Question -- we've mailed our Save the Dates, but do we go ahead an order and send our formal invites?!?

    Hope everyone is doing okay in this time of uncertainty.

    • Reply
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    That's an creative way of making it work! I hope it works out Smiley smile

    • Reply
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute

    That was a good video! Thanks Smiley smile

    • Reply
  • M
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    Our Wedding is August 22 2020 so will be waiting things out and seeing how things go the next couple months. Absolutely Terrible to hear what others are going through. I couldn’t imagine changing our special day we have been planning it the last 2.5 years. It would be devastating. Thinking about all you as you make these changes ❤️ much love
    • Reply
  • C
    Newbie July 2020 Alberta
    Chrissa ·
    • Dispute
    We had to cancel our April 4 wedding of 180 guests. Because everything else is arranged, we are doing our best to have a small afternoon ceremony of <50 family and closest friends from 3-7. Then once my fiancé’s more conservative family members leave we have a second group of the party crowd coming in later from 8-12. We plan to properly clean and sterilize before the new people come in. We had to book a different hall and caterer but otherwise I really didn’t have it in me to coordinate a whole wedding.., hair, makeup, photographer,DJ, invites, etc etc. Fingers crossed we can keep up with the <50 plan!
    • Reply
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I agree! Cross our fingers!
    • Reply
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Same. I'm June 27 and I have the exact same plan. Fingers crossed.
    • Reply
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    We are due to be married june 21st and we are waiting until the end of may to make a call. If we need to cancel we will still legally get married on that day, we will then have the party and proper ceremony later in the summer or next summer.
    • Reply
  • Amanda
    Beginner April 2020 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    We are rebooking with the awareness that it might have to get moved or cancelled all together.

    • Reply
  • Veronica
    Frequent user April 2020 British Columbia
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    My wedding April 4th as well. Our venue has closed and we had more than 50 guests so had to cancel. We are going to elope with our family’s and wedding party. And hopefully do a cocktail party later on. I don’t really see the point of doing a full meal now.
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×
ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics