Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lydia
Devoted June 2019 British Columbia

Costs of hair and make up?

Lydia, on February 28, 2018 at 11:40 Posted in Beauty 0 15
I've been looking into getting a hair and make up artist and have been asking around for prices.
Now that I got a couple I'm really on the fence of backing out of it. I'm not too much of a make up wearing kinda girl (tho I would love it on my wedding day). But I got quotes for like 300 to 600 and it's so much for one day make up and hair!
I'm wondering what your guys have done and if this is common to be this expensive or if you found alternatives. I don't really have any friends or family members who are into make up or hair unfortunately

15 Comments

Latest activity by Sophia, on April 25, 2023 at 15:32
  • Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm paying $160 for both hair and makeup.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have my normal hairdresser doing my hair which is going to cost me $75 and I decided to do my own makeup because it’s so expensive! If you want your makeup done though I would try reaching out to some of the students at the makeup schools. There’s a few in the area and they’re usually pretty good for a fair bit less money.
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been living in Vancouver for 10 years and I think it's one of the most expensive city in Canada. I am glad my wedding will be at Gatineau, QC but I am facing challenges cause it's a small town, the resources are limited and not to mention barrier in language. I have to book my makeup and hair artist from Ottawa. I have to drive to them. I am paying $150 for makeup including trial and lashes and $200 for hair. I think it might be a little too expensive for the hair.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am thankful I do not live in Vancouver now. My hair is $60 and my makeup is $65 and before I was quoted higher.

• Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually got lucky one of my bridesmaids sisters is fresh out of school and had actually asked to do the make up free of charge just to build her portfolio ! Maybe a thought to reach out and find maybe a student or a recent grad !
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes $300 and up seems to be the going rate in the Vancouver area - just like everything else, we seem to be more expensive than other parts of the country!

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve hired a travel makeup and hairstylist so it’s about $200 for me, $170 for Mom, 190 for bridesmaid. I feel it will be worth it because they come to me so I can stay home and feel relaxed!
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for the replies ❤️
    It's super helpful
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! It's super helpful to know that you already contacted multiple ones and had it all around that same pricing (most I found indeed were 400 to 450 and was including a trial). It's so unfortunate tho that it costs so much over here! And I'm very sorry to hear that one you had was done badly Smiley sad good you had a trial then! I hope the other one you're going with now is great
  • Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've found Vancouver to be on the expensive end for most things. Does the 300-600 include a trial? Most of the quotes I got in Van for mobile hair/makeup were 400-450 including a trial. I did get one that was a lot cheaper (around 150 for both) but it was done by a spa which seemed a bit random. I also had bad makeup done recently for that price range so I went for one of the other ones.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve seen prices from $80 each for hair and makeup to $150 each for hair and makeup. No trials included.
  • Sidni
    Frequent user July 2018 Saskatchewan
    Sidni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My makeup is $250 including trial, air brush, lashes, and day of. My hair is $75 for the trial and $75 for the day of also. I found that this is a pretty standard price in my area after doing a lot of research. My bridesmaids hair is $75 that day as well and their make up is $85. If they want lashes there is an additional fee.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That seems VERY expensive to me but I'm not from B.C.

I was finding prices high as well for hair and make up and I'm not a get fancy kind of girl either. I actually found a hair stylist who does it as a side business (she's a Nurse by day) on one of those Facebook groups! She recommended a make up artist (also a nurse by day) who she typically works with and they are priced much better and I like their work!

I'm paying 85 for make up (That's trial and day of with individual false eyelashes) and then $110 for hair (that's trial and day of).

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's expensive! Is that just for you or for your bridal party as well? My ladies are paying for themselves and can decide which they want done. Only my MOH and my mom are getting both done. We are going to a salon for $70 for an updo and I am having a make-up artist come to our getting ready location for make-up. For me, it's $100 but for anyone else it would be $65 (no lashes) or $75 with lashes.

The salon where we are getting our hair done also has a make-up artist which would've been cheaper than the one I hired but I wanted a mobile artist.

Ask around! I'm sure you can find cheaper. Also, check out facebook wedding groups in your area. That's how my MOH found a cheaper price for her make-up.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My hair and makeup are being done by the same person and it will cost me $150 and that's the airbrush makeup price so I could have it all done for even cheaper. If I wanted just the hair done it would be $100 and just makeup would have been $60.

My bridesmaids are having their makeup and hair done for $90 or they can have one or the other done for $60.
    It shouldn't be that expensive, it depends where you are getting married though. Where is your wedding?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics