Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Confused

Holly, on March 27, 2018 at 14:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 27
I've debated several times about posting this. I know this is a great place to get unbiased opinions, and opinions from brides and grooms that have similar situation or just have good advice.

So as I've mentioned in other posts/comments I recently moved from Ontario to BC. The plan was to keep the wedding in Ontario, and I still want that. It's doable, it can be done. However with current situations my fiance and I are in, such as the expensive move, starting new jobs etc..we don't have money to book anything for the next little while. Maybe a couple months just to get back on our feet. Once we start planning again, I obviously will not be able to physical meet or do anything in Ontario, obviously everyone suggested wedding party and family to help. This is the issue. My bridesmaids: one lives 8 hours away from where we will get married, my sister lives 3 hours away from there and another one has recently been pushing me away or at least that's what it seems.. the last bridesmaid is willing to do what ever so yay but I'd never in a million years soley rely on her because that's not fair to her. Groomsmen are all unreliable, it's pathetic lol and as for family..the only ones I can actually count and rely on to get the job done the way I want is my dad and stepmom and they live in Kentucky. I have absolutely no faith in my fiance's mom and aunt to do things that way we want because they have disagreed with everything so far. And my mom and stepdad are also unreliable and flakey..
So I thought at one point, okay maybe cancel the Ontario wedding and have a small one here in BC, that didn't go over well at all..my mom and his mom and aunt just about lost their minds and went off at us. We understand the fact that the guest list would go from 100 to probably 15 and we were 100% okay with that, the outcome is the exact same. Honestly I'd be happy with the original wedding plan, and also a new one.

So I suppose my question is how should I deal with this stress? I'm just so confused on what to do and who will help and all this other stuff and honestly at this point I am really unsure about keeping our Ontario wedding, I have zero motivation to plan it at all. My fiance has no opinion, he's not super helpful with this..he is amazing but totally useless in this decision..
I just feel so lost and I'm afraid I'll break and just cancel it all and put it off or just get a quick on at city call and disappoint everyone.

Any advice or kind words are welcome ❤️

27 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on March 28, 2018 at 10:22
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly, like I mentioned before, I am planning a wedding in a different city and I have found vendors that are willing to work with that so you should be able to as well! I have booked all the vendors and done multiple meetings with them since booking and they have never once asked me to come down to meet with them because I told them I am from out of town. It just takes some patience to find vendors that will work around it.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you have made a decision! It must feel like a relief.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yay glad you got it figured!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well I have an update.
    I was talking to our venue coordinator, side note she is literally the sweetest person I've ever met!..she told me that unfortunately the $1000 venue deposit is non-refundable. So that made out decision pretty easy, we can't afford to toss that down the drain and to be honest I feel so happy and relieved about it, which makes me think that deep down I really do want the Chatham wedding even though I am super stressed about it. I think just everything went to my head and I was overwhelmed.. but it all seems clear now! Fingers crossed planning at this distance goes smoothly.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with some of the other ladies who said to sleep on it and take a breather. Deep down you know what to do it’s just probably too overwhelming right now. That’s really nice of your bridesmaid to offer help plan with you! You can do so much over phone and email when it comes to planning but I know it would be challenging not being able to physically be there it’s almost like a destination wedding now if you stick with the original plan. BC is beautiful and would have a lot of great options as well for venues and if it’s easier for you I’m sure that would be ideal. I would do what makes you happiest and less stressed! You can’t always please everyone else in life you have to make yourself happy too!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My fiance and I honestly don't care where, when or how we get married, we are just happy to get married. So I suppose it is mostly for the family at this point.. I'm still okay getting married in Chatham I just don't know how I'll be able to plan with the lack of help and being as busy as we are..
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would take a breather. Take the couple of months or weeks or however long to get situated and see where the finances are. I'm planning a wedding from a different city and have found vendors who understand and who have done Skype calls with me and phone conversations to avoid me having to go down and it's only a few hours away from me.
    If after some time to relax and think about things you think that it would be best to do a wedding in BC do one there, if you want to forget the stress and the fuss and get married at city hall then do that, if you still want to go ahead with the Ontario wedding then do that.
    Whatever is going to make you happy on your wedding day is what you do, it's not your parents who are going to celebrate your anniversary each year or think back to this day over and over again, it's not or any of your guests who this day is about. Do what feels right to you and decide after you have taken some time.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes we are definitely going to go over all our options, my fiance said he's happy either way. At the moment I'm so stressed I have no idea what will make me the most happy. The wedding is in Chatham so it's about an hour away from my family and friends so that's what makes them meeting vendors a little harder.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would just sleep on it some. June 2019 is still farish away that you have some time.

Really think about what would make you and your partner happy, small wedding where you might not get EVERYONE you want, or a bigger wedding with everyone.

What area in Ontario are you looking to get married? I would even volunteer to help you with stuff! (I really really love planning).

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We only have the venue, officiant and photographer. We should get officiant and venue deposit back since it's still so far in advance but not photographer since we did our engagement session. I just know that if we have a reception or any kind of celebration in Ontario then people will question why we didn't just do it all in Ontario.. it's just a lot right now..I almost want to just say eff it were going to city Hall but I couldn't unfortunately..
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What do you have left to do? Do you have a lot of vendors left to book? Honestly, once I booked my vendors, all other communication has been through e-mail (with the exception of the menu tasting and one other visit to the venue). My friend lived in Yukon and got married in Ontario and took a few weeks off before the wedding to go to Ontario early to do the DIY things and make payments. All the planning she was able to do where she lived and just executed it all in about two weeks. So, it is doable to keep it in Ontario.

If most of your wedding party is on board to have it in BC, that's great! It would just mean finding all the vendors there and doing that part of the planning again.

There is also the option to have a reception in Ontario and have the ceremony in BC. You can still celebrate with everyone in Ontario, but it can be scaled back (less formal, less decorations, less hassle) so all you have to worry about is food and music, which can technically be done at a distance.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know I won't be able to please anyone. And I don't want to choose to settle because then I won't be happy and it's my day so I don't care if others are mad about it. So far out of the wedding party I have 3/4 on board, the last one made up an excuse as to why she probably won't. Groomsmen I've only talked to 2 and only one was okay with it. So this is going to be hard. Idk if my fiance is willing to not have the groomsmen he wants with him..
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The more I get into wedding planning, the more I feel like someone won't be happy with some aspect. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to please every single person. Hope it all works out for you, no matter what you end up doing.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All my family except my mom is in board, all my bridesmaids seem to be good with it too! The best man is currently trying to talk me into having a BC wedding, but so far one of my fiance's groomsmen said no..well his gf said no.. he hasn't asked the others but one of his brother and he loves BC so he will be good. It's pretty much just his family now..I don't think we'll get his aunt happy about it, she will come but she won't be happy..
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sorry you're coming through this Holly! I understand the struggle of planning from a far with little help. I'm getting married in Southern Ontario, where both my FH and I are from, but we live in Northern Ontario now. There were a few reasons we chose Southern Ontario but it's definitely harder when I can't meet with vendors all the time. Some of them are good with calling/skyping and meeting when we are around, which only happens so often. My parents are good about checking things out, but it also comes with opinions lol. My wedding party is all over the province, one is just finishing university and unsure of where she's gonna end up. His side has been pretty hands-off.

The other brides here have great advice: it's yours and your FH's day, plus a few others you can't see your wedding happening without. In the end, if you can make things work out for a BC/Destination wedding, with a reception/wedding announcement party in Ontario, I would do that. If you're stressed out/unmotivated to plan the Ontario wedding, then I would cancel it (my own opinion). No matter what you do, someone is going to have opinions with your wedding, whether they be a parent or a complete stranger, but it's your day, and it should be as stress-free as possible!

Hang in there!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I'm definitely going to pitch the destination wedding idea to my FH and see what he says then talk to friends and family too.

My stress level is slowly decreasing!

Thank you!!😊
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I looked into wedding planners, unfortunately all of the ones I contacted were charging a crazy amount to work with and it just didn't fit in our budget. I'm considering "hiring" my one bridesmaid as a partial planner, she kind of already agreed. She is on board with what ever decision we make so that's comforting.
  • Jessica
    Frequent user June 2018 Saskatchewan
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im kind of in the same situation with not being near my destination and none of my family members are near there as well. But i got a wedding planner that lives in the area and we communicate daily planning the wedding on our budget.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would suggest this option as well!! You could give the option of 1. Having a destination wedding or 2. Get married in BC and then, possibly, have a smaller reception for friends and family who can't attend.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's good for you and your FH. This is supposed to be the happiest day for you guys. Don't let other people ruin it for you Smiley smile
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was actually considering this! It might be a good compromise.. so far I have pretty much everyone on board with the BC wedding, my mom not so much..but at this moment I just want to see where everyone stands on this idea..
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly, if we keep the original plan it's still possible but I'll just have to get a different view on the planning process. We'll also have to cut some costs and guest to make up for our costs of travel and accommodation.. but so far all my bridesmaids are on board! That helps so much, my dad and stepmom are also on board.. just waiting on a few other people on my side.. but talking it out has definitely already helped relieve some stress!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another thought is to have it in neither place. I know, you're trying to decide and here I am throwing another option out.

If you do a destination wedding, everyone travels so it might make people less upset? Plus it's a nice holiday as well! Some destinations can be cheaper to travel to from Ontario (Ontario to BC can be pricey!) as well.

At the end of the day though, don't stress yourself out about this. It should be ENJOYABLE. I think messaging your wedding party and family was a great idea to get their opinions. Those are the people who matter to you obviously, so if they can make it... great!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely understand about wanting certain people there, for sure. It wouldn't feel as special if they weren't there to celebrate with you guys. If you do go through with the wedding in Ontario you'll just have to treat it like you're planning a destination wedding. Everything will have to be through emails and phone calls. Skyping is an option too so that you can see them face to face and have that connection with the vendor.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I was considering having the ceremony and a small reception here in BC then having an actual all friends and family invited reception in Ontario before or after our honeymoon. With our guest list being smaller we'd have money and be able to assist those that come with their accommodations so this way they only spend money on a flight and anything extra they do.

Thank you 😊
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This his been a huge weight in my shoulders ever since I found out about moving for my fiance's job. I'm constantly back and forth and it's driving me crazy, but it's at the point now where I HAVE to make a permanent decision. I actually just individually message each of my bridesmaids and dad and asked them what they opinion is on it being in BC, honestly if they all think they can make it work financially to come then that may be the deciding factor. I know this about us two celebrating our love and marriage but I just don't think I can do it without certain people, they will make it just that much more special to us.

Thank you for some feedback! 😊
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would see if vendors would be able to skype if you want to see them in person and actually talk to them. I know you can talk on the phone and see if you can have that one bridesmaid go and check to make sure everything is how you want. It does sound very stressful as you don't have enough reliable people to help and don't want to put it all on that one friend. If it is easier and you get more of the experience planning it in BC the people who can make a trip will! its your big day. If easier you could get married somewhere in BC and do a reception party and still wear your dress and all that again in Ontario?

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh boy Smiley sad this does sound very stressful. Remember, the whole point of getting married is to be married to your partner and not necessarily the huge party! It's about making the two of you happy and as stress free as you possibly can. Do what works best for the two of you, even if that means cancelling the wedding in Ontario and doing something small and intimate out there. It will likely anger some people but it's about the two of you and nobody else.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics