Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Confession time: did you and your partner have any wedding-related fights?

Joey, on June 7, 2018 at 08:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 39

Let's be real - planning a wedding can be very stressful! All that pressure, all those deadlines, all that money, sooooo many decisions to make... it can build up on you and be a strain. Did you and your partner get into any fights about wedding planning?

Confession time: did you and your partner have any wedding-related fights? 1

39 Comments

Latest activity by Daniela, on June 23, 2018 at 12:58
  • Daniela
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha for sure, thank you and happy planning to you as well and goodluck!
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol if you can't laugh at the ridiculousness if it all, girl, you're done! Lol happy planning!
  • Daniela
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This comment just made my night haha!! Been searching and emailing florists, cake vendors, and hair/make-up artists for the past few hours so I really needed a good laugh lol!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ad the only person booking and researching vendors and rentals as well paying it all myself. My husband at the time thought it was crazy was the amounts were throughtout the process. There were lots of little fights about online purchases avoiding highet cost in the retail stores.

The cake was the biggest deal cuz he wanted a showpiece than being realistic. He looked at the cost and never thought was beong done for him and always saod it was about me.

Any brides/grooms going through the same fights and battles, let your FH do what we have to and realize how much efforts it takes. The same answer was given to my husband at the time.

End result will be positive and a happy one as he will see the outlook and just how wonderful of a job we do to make the vision come true.

Good luck to all bridesa and grooms.
  • Gabbie
    Frequent user June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't actually made any major decisions, but I'm in a long distance relationship and if there's one thing we've learned is how to communicate. So far I have been focusing on getting a sense on the type of event he wants, this is my second wedding so I am willing to compromise, but so far I haven't really needed to change my ideas, he's loved them all, and for the smaller details he's trusting my choices.

We're planning on going to Halifax this summer and we'll visit vendors and see the reality of everything, so far determining a guest list and match it to a budget has been a challenge.

I'm guessing when the wedding date is near I will have a couple of meltdowns because he is a procrastinator and I am a planner haha

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t say fights but definitely some disagreements on certain vendors but we just had to debate through it!
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not really, considering he left most of the planning with me.... though he did at one point suggest a GoT/Red Wedding theme....lol.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nothing drastic but there’s been a couple of fights in regards to the financial part of it (I’ve been unemployed twice since the beginning of January so it’s been a rough year) but we come out of it feeling like if we can do this, we’ll make it through anything. In relation, on Shawn Mendes’ new album there’s a song called “Like to be you” it very accurately sums up what it’s like to fight as a couple who respects each other and just wants to get past the fight.
  • Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its way expensive for photography but you can still get quality for less, or just fewer hours or less in the package as far as number of prints etc. We could have had the same guy for way less if we chose a smaller package. I see it as the only thing I have left after the wedding, and I do photography as a hobby, so that is where all my budget is going. I've sinced talked him out of his lavish bar ideas-- open bar = BAD pictures no matter how good you are.

• Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awe that is too bad- and they can judge all they want when they write you a cheque! Good for you for not starting your life together in insurmountable debt for one day. I've been doing a lot of wedding swap site buying on fb and hope I can sell most of it once I am done and recoup costs. We are doing pie instead of cake as it is way cheaper and IMO better. We aren't doing favors either, they go in the trash half the time. I would rather have a nice wedding pic on my fridge than a bottle opener with YOUR name on it. If someone can't appreciate all the wonderful things you are doing and sacrificing to share your day with them, then that is on them- not on you. I am sorry you are having such trouble, a lot of friends may help with your décor or other things if you put it out there, you may be surprised. A gf did a potluck in the church basement and then we had a field party; another a backyard BBQ byo-chair and they are 2 of the best weddings I've ever attended. Do what makes you happy- no matter what you do someone won't like it or would have done it differently- you will never please them all so just please yourself and the hubby.

I find the pricing to be outlandish as soon as you say wedding, not fair at all. I was cheap by necessity most of my life, now I am much older and established but I am cheap by choice- and there is nothing wrong with it Smiley smile

We are also September and it is getting to the wire, things are bugging me much more as days get closer, I hope you will be able to find yourself in a place where you can say (#$*#$^ you all, I'm doing this for me! Here if you wanna chatSmiley smile

• Nadia
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! We argued about the reception timeline. He told me in the beginning that I can plan my wedding as I wanted. Everytime I asked for his input, he said up to me. Now that the wedding is 2 months away, he is questioning almost everything I've planned. AAARRGH!!! well..thanks ladies for letting me vent. Haha!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've been pretty good actually considering there's been a lot of stress.

We've seen eye to eye on mostly everything, but its been hard to deal with some of the negativity from his family. It actually breaks my heart to see how they've been to him through this planning process.

• Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im a very cheap person out of necessity but i can tell my family is judging me for the venue, food, not having chair covers, favors, a wedding cake etc etc. Every wedding vendor treats people like cash cows so money can only go so far. Weve collected most of our decorations from thrift stores. I dont have a lot of family and mo siblings so ill probably be putting them up myself but its okay. We kind of just want to get it overwith so we can have some time together off work
  • Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wish it was more accessible. I know someone and theyre giving me 60% off but i still had to cut a bunch of stuff from my wedding (professional nails, hair, makeup, favors, dj etc) to be able to afford it
  • Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG I know right - well it CAN be cheap but so we all know what that looks like! There is a big gap between 400 and 4,000 but for a once in a lifetime day I am leaning to the latter.

Sometimes I am glad he's cute.

• Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's tough to plan a wedding on a budget and Pinterest would make me believe if I don't have a royal wedding its not good enough. In the end you need 2 witnesses, a commissioner, license and both of you to showSmiley smile Remember that it is the marriage not the wedding that counts in the end. Don't push the budget trying to please anyone spend on what matters to you two. Try to enlist friends to help, I find they are more than happy to chip in and do make up, nails etc. I kid when I say that if you have a skill you can come to the weddingSmiley smile LOL

I think it is natural for a man to feel they need to provide- this is a GOOD thingSmiley smile and it still hard not to wish out loud at what you want or be upset when your dream isnt coming true- they are your sounding board afterall. I just had this convo with my hubby an hour ago.

Best of luck to you- your day will be perfect because it is you 2 getting hitched and that is always a beautiful thing!

• C
    Newbie June 2018 British Columbia
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why do guys think photography is so cheap?! I had this exact conversation with my fiance.

• Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have argued more about where to live than the wedding
    Honestly i think were both looking forward to the wedding being over. Too much family drama
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The budget was initially a sore topic for us because we started with one budget, then increased it by 50% because we had to be realistic about our expectations. Aside from that, he's letting me plan the vast majority of our wedding myself (I have more time, I have a genuine interest in it), so we're all good.

• Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We havent really fought but i think the biggest sticking point is money. Our wedding budget is $5000 because we are both low income. He felt bad when i couldnt get my dream dress or venue. He feels like he isnt providing and i feel bad for him sometimes. He wants me to get my nails done but then we get home and are stressing all night about how to pay our bills.
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, my partner and I don't fight in the traditional sense. Sometimes I get frustrated or angry at something (or he does), but we have never raised our voices or said things in anger. We both know to give each other space, and we come back to the table calm and with composed thoughts. And that happens rarely.

We haven't fought about anything wedding related. He pretty much has let me choose most things, although he did suggest the colour scheme, and has provided his opinion/input on most things. He defers to me to make the final decision.

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, we haven't had any arguements. I was more surprised that my FH and I are actually on the same page in every step of our planning. Perhaps picking the silhouette of my dress we didn't see eye to eye on. But my solution was I got 2 dresses to compliment 😜😜 and he didn't mind that solution.
  • Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Him: So what, photography is like $400 or so

Me: (cue hysterical laughter) um...try 4 THOUSAND

Him; No way! I'm not paying that. BTW we are having an open bar at $10/drink should be about 8k.

But we got through it. I nod and then do what I need to do Smiley smile

• Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what we've done, except now we are getting within 3 mos the frequency of talks has increased and as tensions mount its harder to keep all the conversations happy and wonderful Smiley smile

• Amber
    Newbie August 2019 British Columbia
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Zero fights. My fiancé works pretty much 24/7 so that leaves most of the wedding planning up to me. We always discuss before booking a vendor, but our tastes are so similar he’s only been excited about what I’ve come up with. I was all down for eloping but he’s the one who wanted the big wedding.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No fights, just disagreements. Mostly about handling questions and suggestions from our families. He nervously agrees to everything that's thrown at him, while I have the "thank you, we'll take it into consideration" speech down pretty good.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For most things he's pretty easy going, but he is a more private person on social media than me (for legitimate professional reasons - he works at a jail and has had inmates look him up when they got out). If I could, I would post everything wedding but he doesn't want the wrong people finding out about the wedding. His mother hasn't been a part of his life for a while but still has him on facebook/can find him and he doesn't want her finding out about the wedding (past abusive relationship).

We did argue about the privacy a little at the start, but have since compromised and now have a secret group with our family/friends where we can post stuff.

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had two arguments, I wouldn't call them fights really.

One was about how to address the envelopes, he wants the 'known as' name and I wanted their full name. We ended up going doing a but of both, depending on how close we were to the person.

And the other one was about the groomsmen suits. No idea how that one is going yet as we haven't discussed it for a bit, we'll see when it comes time.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had one big fight ... the night after we got engaged. Eek. My fiance has always been scared of marriage, but we waited 5 years to get engaged, and we know we both want it... but I think that first conversation about what city, what season, what kind of venue, "oh my gosh it's happening"... etc... it overwhelmed him and he flipped...

We quickly calmed down from that, apologized, and ever since we have been able to talk very calmly about all the wedding stuff! I've been mentally planning my wedding since I was 5... so he knows it's important to me. He will voice his opinion if something is important to him, and if it doesn't work/fit, I'll try and give him options, or compromise, so that I'm not saying "no", and he still gets involved and participates. So far, so good!

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No fights but disagreements. Some we are still having but we have time before we make the final decision.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No fights but definitely don’t always see eye to eye on things. I made a lot of compromises right off the bat because what I had initially wanted just wasn’t going to work for us and so when it came to something I was really set on and finally put my foot down and held strong against something I didn’t want i did unintentionally made him feel bad and that he had forced to make changes I didn’t want. Which was definitely not the case.

He is also very traditional in his view on weddings and receptions and how they should go and I am completely the opposite and don’t have any desire to keep any of them. So we are very much undecided on a lot of things and trying to find a balance that on those things so we are both happy with our decisions.
  • C
    Newbie June 2018 British Columbia
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know how all these other people aren't fighting, but my fiance and I have DEFINITELY had a few fights. We are 2 weeks out and it gets more and more stressful every week. We of course talk it out, but I'm frankly surprised if a couple gets through the whole planning process without fighting

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics