Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Colour Confusion

Kelly, on January 30, 2018 at 17:27 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 13

Hi. I need help with colours. Anybody out there good with colour pallets?

My dress is white lace and tulle over a blush lining so its got a bit of a pinky hue. We're pretty set of the bridesmaids wearing forest green (colours are forest green, gold, and white. at the moment at least).

In my head the guys were going with grey for the suites. BUT my fiance says this is the perfect time to buy a suite and not rent and hes always wanted a blue suit and he already has a grey one. And I get that. and I feel like a crappy person being like "eeerrrrmm yeah not sure how thats gonna go with all our dresses....." He SHOULD be able to get what he wants. Its his wedding.

So now we had navy blue suits on the table. And I'm having a a difficult time picturing it with the forest green and blush.

Any body have any suggestions?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Elizabeth, on March 2, 2018 at 14:26
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Navy is neutral enough that i think it will still look good together. Plus all of the dark colors will make for a really moody, romantic wedding I think!

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This exactly what we are going with in at my wedding and it looks so beautiful together!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it could work as navy is often used as a neutral. Maybe check the colours against each other first to make sure it won't look bad. Also, you could have him in navy and the groomsmen in grey. That way he will really stand out but the blue/green thing won't be as much of a visual impact.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How blue is the blue suit?? Smiley tongue Navy can work as a neutral!

Here are some example pictures I found:

Colour Confusion 1:: Pinterest

Colour Confusion 2

Photo Credit: Logan Jarrard

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine to have the groom stand out a bit; even if they don't match the colour palette.

My friend is marrying a police officer, and he will be wearing his royal blue uniform. Her colours are plum and teal. The bridesmaids will just be in the plum so that it doesn't clash.

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the inspo photos!

Our wedding party is really small. Just 3 on each side. I've got a guy in my group and hes got a girl in his. I did look into mis-matched dresses, but the ones that end up looking the best is when the group is about 5 or more.

No worries on the gold. It's just for little accents in the decor, and we're going pretty minimalist on that because the venue is so pretty it doesn't need much.

I think we've come up with a really great solution for the bridal party attire. He'll get the navy suit he wants, and the guys will stick with grey. That way he and I will be the standouts among the group, and the grey will just tie everything together.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If navy blue is clashing with your green, change the suit color to black so that all fits together and everyone looks cohesive.
  • Natalia
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm from a design background and I won't lie the blue + green combo is a stretch. You can potentially make it work BUT here's some suggestions I would recommend to make up for the clash:

1. Incorporate blue into your decor or flowers so that the groom doesn't stick out too much.

2. Alternate blue + green dresses for the bridesmaids.

3. Add blue flower/berry accents to the bouquets.

4. Go easy on the gold - if you have an over abundance of blush and golds, there will be too many competing colours.

5. Last but not least, talk to your fiance - at the end of the day he deserves to like what he wears, but budget or not, the 'opportunity to buy a suit' shouldn't be the priority, he should LIKE what he wears that day.

6. When taking pictures with your fiance, try to use greenery where and if possible in the BG so your palette is consistent.

I really hope this helps a bit - if anything put images of what you want side by side like a collage and look at everything together a few times, if anything feels off then you should reconsider some options. If it looks good, then there you have it!

Good luck!

Sample Palette Colour Confusion 3

• Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can i just say its my thought that the groom can stand out just like the bride. it is his day as well. but if you want everything to match i would be changing the color of the bridesmaid dresses. but that is just my thought. it is your day.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you feel really strongly about the forest green, then keep it. But it’s the girls haven’t purchased their dresses yet maybe rethink the colors as the compliment the grooms suit color. Nothing wrong with whatever you decide. Good luck.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think may clash but really you need to bring a swatch to compare them. They may actually look really great together! A gold or champagne/blush tone colour dress may work better but honestly it's both of your decision. Either way I'm sure it will look great!
  • Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To clarify...my question isn't about wether my fiance gets to pick out his own outfit.

I was asking if navy blue suits and forest green dresses would look good together. Or should we rethink the colour of the bridesmaid dresses.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that everyone deserves to wear what they want. In the same way you picked your dress according to your liking, so should he.

My fh and and I were dealing with the same issue. I wanted a charcoal coloured suit, he did not even want to think about it. So I thought it is only fair if he gets what he wants, in the same way I did.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics