Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Changing your name - yes or no?

Joey, on January 24, 2019 at 08:05

Posted in Just married 64

A huge decision you'll make as you start your married life is whether either of you will change your name. Will you combine your last names into a new name? Hyphenate? Will your partner take your last name, or will you take theirs? Or are neither of you planning to change names? Photo by The Secret...

A huge decision you'll make as you start your married life is whether either of you will change your name. Will you combine your last names into a new name? Hyphenate? Will your partner take your last name, or will you take theirs? Or are neither of you planning to change names?

cfb_40843.jpg

Photo by The Secret Garden of Woodbridge Ponds in Abbothford

Planning a name change? Here is a guide on How to Change your Name in Canada

Still weighing your options? Here are some perspectives to consider - Should I Change My Name After Getting Married?

64 Comments

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mmm I just recently changed my last name from my Ex-partner Marshall to my maiden name Mathis. I'm close to my parents. Since my fiancee' parents have passed I believe it's only fair to say I'll be taking his last name. Though it has crossed my mind.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're also getting married in Québec, but since we won't be living there (just taking advantage of the beautiful venue haha), I will have the choice to change my last name or not based on my home province (Alberta).

All of this to say, that I'll be changing my name to his. My FH actually confessed that he's excited/happy to be sharing his last name with me!

• Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dad passed away (this year will mark 10 years) and i was very close to him. I will be hyphenating my name with my FH and our future child will have the hyphenated name.
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll be changing my last name to take his... our kids have his last name and I would love to have the same last name as my boys.
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since we will be getting married in Quebec, I can't take his last name although I would love to.

• Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely taking my FH last name. I was never really close to my father's family and have wanted to change my name since I was 16. My FH spoke to me years before we got engaged about changing my last name to his so I had a lot of time to think about it.
  • Amelia
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this!!

• Amelia
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm also Amelia! And I'll be changing mine to "Hunziker"! So I feel you about the mouthful and pain to spell!

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't decided yet either. I'd always wanted to change my name but my FH's last name is long and already a pain to spell out for people lol (it's Sarantakos). So my whole name would be a mouthful and a half if I change it to his - even more so if I decided to hyphenate. The other reason I'm reluctant is that I'm working on publishing my MA research and I'd be bummed to leave the name associated with it behind.

We're thinking about maybe shortening my FH's name so I can hyphenate more easily, but still a long way from making a decision.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be taking my fiancé’s last name. It’s always been something I imagined since I was little. I think it’ll be weird for a little while though. I’ll have to correct myself whenever I say it to people for a while!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be taking his name. People have trouble with my last name, I am excited to be able to have people spell it!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I took my husbands name. I am currently in the process of changing everything over!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am taking his last name, but I'm kinda sad about it. I just recently (in the last three years, before meeting my FH) changed my last name from my estranged stepfather's surname to my maternal grandfather's last name - the original Ukrainian name, before it got butchered - I mean, shortened - by busy immigration officials lol. Its a long name, but it's beautiful and unique and steeped with intense emotion for me. I'm the only living Aleksiewicz in our family right now, and every time I say it, write it, spell it out, my heart just kinda aches. So changing it is gonna be be very tough, but there's just no way we can combine or hypehnate, and my fiance is really set on me being Mrs Saikaly. Which is very very sweet, of course Smiley heart

So our compromise is that our children will all have Aleksiewicz as one of their middle names.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes!! I definitely will be taking his last name. I want the same last name as my husband and my son (and future kids). I'm excited to change my last name. I love my family name but now I have my own family.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are definitely in the minority of combining both last names (Hauser and Neufeld) to Neuhauser! Yes, it means more paperwork since it would be a legal name change but I like having both names in one word (we nixed hyphenating early on lol) and we already have our hashtag: #Neuhauser19

We came up with this plan before we got engaged actually, we agreed that if we did get married, this is what we want to do. If we weren't doing this, he wanted to change his name anyways so he would've taken mine!

• Taylor
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be taking my fiancé’s last name Smiley smile
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am keeping my name, mostly because of our age. We don't plan to have children together so I don't see the importance in changing my last name to his.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be changing my last name. I've just always pictured and wanted to change my last name when I'm married. I also like that when we're married we'll both have the initials CR. the day after we got engaged I bought a Colorado Rockies hat which says CR. As my name now is Caitlyn Stevens I am also happy to let the Cat Stevens nicknames die. Also, my fiance's last name is Reid and I was a band geek in school who played the saxophone so i think it's fitting (even though the musical word is reed)

• Natalie
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not only will I be changing my name; I already made my new email address to reserve my new first and last name. I love his last name.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You don’t need to pay to change your last name if you’re taking your FH’s (yay!!!). You also don’t need to change your birth certificate.

If you move your last name to your middle name and then took your FH’s name then you’d have to pay AND change your birth certificate because it is actually a “name change”.

ive heard the changing last name process is a pain in the butt regardless so wishing an easy process for everyone!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I cannot wait to take my FH’s name! I’ve never liked my last name, so I always knew I would change my name when I got married. Luckily my married name has a nice ring to it; i actually like it way more than my maiden name. I will also be graduating from university about 10 months after we are married, so it’ll be cool that I will be able to have my married name on my degree
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I work in law, and so does my FH, so everyone has advised me against this but I will take his last name.

I am actually excited to change mine!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be changing my last name!

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No. I'm keeping my name.
    He may hyphenate, though.
  • Kelsie
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im assuming his last name! We talked about it since both names are the last hope for offspring, so one of our last names will die with us.
    But I've always wanted a big family and having a solitary last name makes it feel right to me (although my name sounds better now than it will with his last name! Smiley tongue )
    Also I don't like hypenating so we decided against that too!
  • Sarah-Joy
    Newbie September 2019 Alberta
    Sarah-Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like my last name and it feels like such a big part of me that I won't be changing my last name. I considered hyphenating but my name is already so long that it would just be a pain. I am excited to join lives with my partner but also like keeping some of my own roots with me Smiley smile

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will absolutely be changing my last name!! I've always looked forward to this Smiley smile he has his mom and dads names hyphenated so technically it should be "Mora-Olguin" so for my legal paperwork I will use the full name, however for my day-to-day I will just go by Mora! Im so excited!!

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm planning on hyphenating my name. I'll have an apostrophe and a hyphen in my name then and will kill scantron and computers everywhere! :-P lol

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm planning on hyphenating. Mostly because Peggy Pittman sounds like a bad 50's sitcom housewife to me. Smiley tongue

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be changing my last name - but so will he Smiley tongue

My Fiancé currently has his mother's last name so he will be changing it to his father's last name first and then I will be taking that new name. I will be a Doll! I love my current last name because it's all that I know and after me and my sister there won't be any more of us - but I just always knew and pictured myself taking my FH's last name. It's like I've prepared for it my whole life.

• Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not planning on taking her last name and she isn't taking mine! I love my last name and unfortunately it doesn't have a nice ring after her first name (her first name ends with a vowel and my last name starts with one). No problem though! I like being my own person and we don't have any negative feelings about it.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am planning to take my FH's last name! I love my last name but I have had it for 30 years so why not!

I think the correct term is I'm ASSUMING his last name? Like I dont be changing my birth certificate but all other legal documents I will be. Not sure if this is 100% right?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics