Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Casey
Master October 2019 Ontario

Ceremony time!

Casey, on April 22, 2019 at 21:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 28
Hey Wedding Wire Community!

Seeing as we are quickly approaching the 2019 wedding season, I’m interested to see how you chose your ceremony time!

Was it based off your venue or church? Did you want to accommodate out of town guests? Did you just take whatever time was available?I would love to know the story behind you and your FH picking your ceremony time!

For us, our ceremony is at 5pm in October 4th. We chose this because it’s a Friday and we didn’t want people miss the ceremony if they were working. This way they may only have to take half a day off! It also gave us less of a gap between our ceremony and reception!
This way all pictures are done before the ceremony and once we are married we can just enjoy it and party the night away!

28 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on April 29, 2019 at 17:41
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our ceremony time was based on the contract by the venue.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    4pm seems to be pretty standard for a longer cocktail hour. Then you guys don’t have to rush to get pictures done.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most weddings we have been to have had a 4pm ceremony time so we just stuck with this. Our wedding coordinator said that if we wanted to a longer cocktail hour (to allow us to get more photos in between ceremony and reception) then she would recommend a 3pm ceremony but that was the only other time that was even mentioned to us.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We weren’t having a first look so needed the time in between ceremony and reception for photos. We also wanted to start the reception at dinner time. And, I’ve been in weddings that started at 1 and felt rushed and at 3 wasn’t enough time in between. So, 2:00 it was!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue told us we couldn’t have the room until 5:30, and then our church gave us 3 times to choose from. So a bit of both for us!
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had the same thought when we picked our 5pm ceremony lol. Thankfully we will be doing a first look, so we will be together from 2pm on!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our ceremony starts at 7pm. We didn't want to do the dinner thing so we are having a cocktail reception but i honestly think waiting all day to get married will kill me.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly not a bad time. Also not a huge gap between ceremony and reception which is good for your guests as well
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I honestly didn’t even think of the amount of time I’ll be in my dress! That’s such a good point! You spend some good cash on a dress and want to enjoy it!
    Little cat nap while they start your hair/makeup. Or before they start yours! Lol
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had no choice - we're getting married on a Sunday, so the only time the church will perform the ceremony will be at 3pm.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married at 1pm! I wanted this time because I wanted to spend more time in my dress, and I didnt want to wait the whole day to finally get married. it works well for us, just after lunch time and then our cocktail hour starts at 5pm!

I was told to be at the salon by 8am to start our hair.... I kinda hate that but oh well! I will get lots of sleep the night before (thank you melatonin) and then coffee in the morning!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100% agree with all of these. Although we are starting hair and makeup early, its only because of first look pictures which I am ok with!

Also didn't want a huge gap for guests with our ceremony and reception being at the same space!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue gave us the option of 1:30 pm or 3 pm and we went with 3 pm for a few reasons:

1. I didn't want to get up super early to start hair and makeup, we'd probably have to start at 7:30 am as opposed to 9 am.

2. I didn't want a huge gap between ceremony and reception. We'll still have a 2 hour gap with a 3 pm ceremony, but at least it's not 3 1/2 hours.

3. It gives closer out of town guests the option to drive down that day, that way they only have to spend 1 night at the hotel.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol me too! Lots of coffee for sure!

I agree, we wanted to avoid the big gap, especially because our ceremony and reception are at the same place. We would have had to pay for a room rental (smaller room at the venue) for guests in between.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ours is still 9 Am start for hair and makeup... which still isn't my friend haha. Lots of coffee will be my savior I am sure.

Oh definitely.

We are going to a wedding in a couple weeks though... their ceremony is at 12, and reception starts at 4:30... no idea what we are going to do in between, and that's what I wanted to avoid with ours. Especially since so many people are out of town guests.

Also we are getting married in august... I feel like 1 PM is going to be scorching hot haha. And FH burns like a lobster within 10 minutes haha.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That will be such a beautiful time in September.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I picked our time based off of that as well! But still having to start hair and makeup at 7:30 because of first look! But it's all good!

I feel like later ceremonies are becoming more popular, especially since many venues do ceremony and reception and people want that smooth transition from one to another.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We only had a choice between 3 and 4. We chose 3:30 because we want to have nice light for our ceremony. Sunset in September where we are is at 7, so we will have lots of time after our ceremony to do sunset pictures. This also gives us a good time for cocktail hour and dinner etc. It just worked out better for us.
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a choice of 1 or 4 based on our venue. We picked 4.

I'm not a morning person and did not want to be up at 7 am.

Plus I felt like it was too long of a break until a reasonable dinner time if we got married at 1. We have a lot of out of town guests as well... so this allows them to travel the day of if they want, as opposed to paying two nights at a hotel.

It will be a little rushed for photos, as we don't want to do a first look. But we have allotted some time after dinner as well to grab a few sunset moments.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh for sure, like, we will try and get as many pictures done prior to the ceremony but I'm sure I need a couple of us after we are officially married so that should give the guests enough time to all grab a beverage and find their seats. Oh, and that way we can sneak off and do the official signing of papers Smiley tongue

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is really great when venues give the Bride and Groom the option to pick the ceremony time. I feel like you have more freedom to plan out your day the way you want it

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was our second choice for ceremony time! And for you, if you have a nice hot day you won't be dying in the heat in the middle of the afternoon for pictures!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Earlier is better sometimes! Then you aren't rushing around when you have to go to your reception after pictures.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It makes it so much easier when you can make your own timeline! I am honestly a fan of smooth transitions. Our cocktail hour will be short, but just so we can do the big family pics and then party!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a church and we choose the time. It is at 4pm.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us 3pm seemed like a good time. Gave up enough time to get ready, pictures in-between and plenty of party time!
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a church wedding and the only times they gave us was 12pm or 2pm. So we ended up going with an earlier time since I already calculated the time to get ready and the transition to that going to the church. We were planning to get all our photos done in-between the ceremony and reception so doing it was better for us in the interest of time.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not much story over here. Our venue for the ceremony is the same as the reception and we aren't doing a cocktail hour because we are doing first look photo's so it will be a smooth transition. So then it was really only a matter of when do we want to eat supper? I guess 6 is good, so we went with a ceremony time of 5:30!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics