Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sheilah
Frequent user August 2019 Ontario

Canada Day Weddings

Sheilah, on June 14, 2018 at 20:47 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
How common are they? Personally I've only heard of a couple but my friend and I are curious how common they are as she was considering that date.

Are they a big thing where you are? In our small city (Belleville) they don't seem that common.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on June 18, 2018 at 19:58
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can imagine!

• Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We were looking at a Thursday but will wiggle it around depending on vendor availability. You wouldn't believe the savings on a weekday wedding haha.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's good then! What day of the week?

• Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're going with a weekday no matter what so that's not a big issue for us, thankfully.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally have never heard of anyone having their wedding on Canada Day since it could fall on a weekday and most people won't have the next day off.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I could see it being a good time if you have lots of time to plan and for people to know! Long weekends will definitely book fast for caterers, accommodations, and venue prices may be more due to high demand!

I know lots of people plan their long weekends far in advance, so you may have a few people unable to make it, you'll just have to keep that in mindSmiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some places may not seem to be common as others. Price ranges may vary based on the city and considered a holiday.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a friend do that because his bday was the next day!
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s interesting!! I’ve never heard of that!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's a great idea!! Good way to get some fireworks in your wedding Haha! Were getting married May 24, the Friday AFTER the Victoria day long weekend. But since the queens beat is on the 24th I'm secretly hoping for a few fireworks in the distance!!
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most venues will charge you extra if it’s a holiday. They need to pay their staff more. I think that’s one reason why having it on the actual day isn’t too common.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have heard of one happening, and it was when Canada Day fell on a Saturday. I know when I was looking for venues, most of them were already booked for June 30th, which is the Saturday of the Canada Day weekend, so based on that small sample, Canada Day is about as common as any other weekend in the summer.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think I've seen any on Canada Day but I've seen tons the weekend of. Those seem pretty popular, we didn't want a July wedding but if we did we would have done Canada Day weekend.
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a really good point! I know it's not as huge here as it is in like Toronto and Vancouver and all that but definitely something to ask about! Thanks!!
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing the day before Canada day, we have a lot of out of town (out of continent actually) guests and it'd be fun to have everyone over here during Canada day.
    We wanted the 30th for specific reasons but have actually considered moving it over to Canada day since there's fireworks and all that (we live in Vancouver so it's quite big). We decided to keep it the 30th though and among other reasons one of the reasons was that our venue would charge 10 dollar extra per guest per staff they needed to have it on a statutory holiday. I have no idea of course if that's with every venue (or maybe you want to do a backyard wedding / something on your own property) but it might be something to keep in mind if you do go with venues or other people / catering and whatever not you need

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics