Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
VIP September 2019 Ontario

Bridesmaid Dresses- Did you pick or let them?

Becky, on March 26, 2018 at 08:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 34

I have my maid of honor who is very active in my wedding with me and I love it! I am just wondering did you let them pick their own dress or did you pick it? I am thinking of doing a mix and match for dresses and having the maid of honor tad different in color from the rest. I also asked my wedding party about cowboy boots and all were on board except for her, she said maybe but wanted the short ankle ones and everyone else would have the taller ones. I offered to pay for half of them and she can resell after. I thought the girls could wear them to the buck and doe and the wedding to get more use out of them.

Did you let your girls choose there dress or say this is what I have chosen and see if it looks good on them and change if not?

34 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 18, 2018 at 13:30
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A bit of both for me. I picked a few dresses in the colour I wanted from David's Bridal and told them they could pick whichever style they liked best. Turns out they both liked the same one so it ended up being pretty easy lol.

• Christine
    Curious July 2020 New Brunswick
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just told them that I wanted them to wear black dresses, and they can pick whatever style they are comfortable in.
  • Alessia
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Alessia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't done this yet but I think I am going to go with my MOH and sister to pick. Then tell the Bridesmaids the location of where I want them to purchase it. This could be good but also go badly because they may not like it. But in hall honesty, oh well. I think if we all go together there will be mixed feelings and too much drama.

• Heather
    Frequent user May 2018 Manitoba
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I let my MOH and bridesmaids (all are my sisters) pick their own dresss. I gave them a color and told them to find something that fits their body, their style and their budget
  • Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I gave them the colour and length and told them it was up to them. They all ended up picking the same dress which turned out great!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I chose the colour and designer (since different designers have different shades of the same colour) and length. They chose the style. They all chose different style, but I think it will all look good together!

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good to know! Thanks Vanessa Smiley smile

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I chose the colour and wanted some lace and shorter ( knee length) And it’s Regency purple. 3 of my girls were on board one was not. The lace worked out great for the 1st 2 dresses. I made an accommodation for no lace for the 3rd and the 4th girl dropped out as she hated the colour and wanted it her way long dress and the most expensive one even though cost was a factor the first time. I had major drama from the get go from her. Needless to say I had one of my besties from high school step up to the plate and get right down to business matching something similar to no lace. For cowboy boots which is my thing they’ve agreed to do some pictures with them on so I’m borrowing from my friends who have them and it won’t be a problem so their won’t be an issue and no cost to them.

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    All my girls chose their own style but same colour. I love this because they all get to show their personality but still be matching! I felt it would be to much work if the dress I chose didn't suit everyone and then we had to keep looking. My bridal party has 10 ladies and they are all so diverse with their body shapes that this worked better for them. But if your bridal party is smaller and they have similar sizes, it could work!
  • T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just let my girls try on a bunch of styles and we went with what they felt comfortable in. They all have different body types so we went with one they could all be comfortable in that went with my vision
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I picked the colour but they got to pick the style. They both know what my dress is so they are picking something that will compliment it. I wanted them to have a say because they are paying for it.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I picked it, they tried it on and most liked it. The one kept saying we should get another and found out the alterations were going to cost more and the dress would actually be tighter, she decided that my pick was better lol. I had their input and everything and they respected exactly what I wanted 😊
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I choose the top 5 dress and they picked what they love and felt comfortable in. Colour wise, they all love burgundy. And they all want long dress.

I think giving your girls an idea of your vision and then having feedback, you guys can settle into a compromise decision.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We settled on a colour & length and I kind of let them have free range from there. Material and style I let them decide. In the end they chose 2 different styles, but material is the same and they look AMAZING!

• Shauna
    Beginner May 2022 Ontario
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I picked what my girls are wearing because i have a very specific them, and as i am paying for it. i let all of them give me ideas of what they wanted and had them send me links to sites of dresses they liked. because my color is hard to find i had to go with what i could find in that color and in the look i was looking for. all my girls were understanding that it is my wedding and they would be okay with whatever i choose as long as i took some of there ideas as what they would be comfortable in.

• Katie
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I showed my girls the colours I wanted, I’m doing all mismatched andI have 7 girls, and let each of them pick the colour they liked, it worked out that no one picked the same one, and a lot of the girls were flexible. Then the only guideline I gave was that it’s a long dress. I’m doing a mixture of fabrics and textures so they really had free reign to pick anything they liked, as long as they double checked with me first
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a particular vision for my girls, but I definitely wanted them to be comfortable in whatever we ended up choosing. When we went for our appointment, one of them picked a dress off the rack kind of by accident and everyone tried it on and ended up loving it! I don't think I'd ever have chosen it, but it's absolutely perfect and I'm glad they all love it.

Your girls should definitely get a say, but at the end of the day, it's your wedding and your vision, so it should be your final say!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a dress style that I would love then to wear but I'm going to let them choose dresses they like and as long as they all look ok together then let them mix and match if they don't look good together then I will try to compromise. Uktimately they are paying for the dresses and have to wear them so I want them to be happy with the dresses
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I decided I wanted all my girls to have dresses they felt comfortable in (there are 5 ladies ranging from size 4 to 24 so I figured it would be hard to find something they all felt equally as comfortable in). Then I picked the colour and length and we went to David's Bridal.

They each found a different dress they felt beautiful in and all have a little bit in common. It happened to work out perfectly as my MOH will be the only one in full lace while the others have little bits of lace on their dresses.

I think it could be cute if the bridesmaids have longer boots and the MOH shorter but I'd want a bit of control to make sure they're approx. the same colour so it doesn't look too disjointed.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have three on my side. I chose the colour of the dress and told the girls to choose whichever dress they felt most comfortable in.

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only have two. I let them pick which ever style they wanted. They both came from David's bridal. My MOH picked between the two colors I liked, she always determined of it was a short or long dress. After that, it was whatever style suited her, and whatever style suited my other bridesmaid. Two different body types, I wanted them to be comfortable.
  • Amanda
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My maid of honor and I picked the dress.Also she just had a baby and I really wanted her to feel confidant in what she was wearing.We did not however order anything until all of bridesmaid saw the dress and agreed.I think if you let your bridemaid pick the dress there is going to be too many opinions.I gave them two options and they all agreed on the 1st dress. Smiley smile
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I sort of let them pick. My girls have different body types and styles so I wanted them to feel comfortable and look like them the day of the wedding.

We all got together and went to David's Bridal to try on dresses. Originally I wanted yellow dresses, but with three pale girls and two redheads in the group it was a no go. I switched to wanted a light grey instead.

Two of my bridesmaids found the White by Vera Wang collection and all four of the girls loved it. So I picked a colour in that collection (Sterling.. which is a light silvery grey) and told them to pick whatever they wanted. It worked out that three of the girls all loved the same dress, and my MOH liked a different dress.

I also asked if they could all go long but if one of them had wanted short I would have been fine with that too.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding party is scattered all over the province, and I want them to be comfortable in a dress they might wear again so they are choosing their own. I gave them two colour options (teal and purple) and have them set up with paint chips so they have an idea of shades lol They said they'll send me pictures before the buy so I am OK it

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good to know! Thanks Holly Smiley smile and yes my Fiancé needs new ones too!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    David's bridal has a good selection of bridesmaid dresses and for good costs too! As long as they are no the David's bridal brand, because the actual brand is super cheap quality lol when I was wedding dress shopping one of the workers told me to stay clear of any David's bridal brand dresses for that reason. And I also have to get new bootsz my fiance too. Luckily my dad lives near Nashville and they have one of the best boots shops on the US, a little pricy but they always have great buy one get one deals.
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes they are! most of my girls already have them so it wouldn't be an issue. it was only one that didn't and that's why I offered to help a bit. I also have to get mine as well because need new ones. That's a good idea with David's! I was considering going in before just to get idea of how to do it and have a selection of what dresses. I want it to be lower in cost as possible due to everything else they pay for.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As of right now we are stuck in this.. original we were all going to go shopping together. All my bridesmaids would have a different colour from the MOH but they could all pick their styles. I'm still down for that but I now live on the other side of the country from all of them so we are unsure of how to do this now. I might go to David's bridal and get the colour and fabric codes and have them go and pick what they want.. we are getting married in a barn so I wanted them to wear cowboy boots but decided against when one of my girls wasn't comfortable wearing them so I have no idea what to do for shoes now either. Also the cost of good quality cowboy boots is usually very high so they decided against. And we can't afford to help them out unfortunately.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My MOH is my sister and I'm leaning towards letting her take the reigns on that because she has similar taste as me.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I let my girls each pick their own dress... I just gave them the guidelines of it had to be green and under $150 (because i was paying).

We did go on a dress shopping day to davids bridal to get an idea of what styles they were looking at and Turned out all 5 of my girls picked dresses that day in the same shade of green so it worked out really well.

Each of my girls has a different style of dress (2 are long, 3 are short) and it looks really good together. They will all pick whatever footwear and jewlery they want and can do their hair/makeup hawever they like. I am setting no restrictions.

I love your idea of cowboy boots! I think that will look super cute and having your MOH in different boots will work out well.
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I let my bridesmaids and maid of honour all pick their own dresses. Two are in purple and two are in black. They are different styles and lengths. I wanted each of them to feel comfortable in their dresses and they worked together to make sure they would somewhat match. This allowed them to set their own price point and make sure the dress worked for their body type.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I picked a few dresses that I liked and sent them pictures to let them choose their favourite (ordering online). They all seemed to like the same dress so that’s the one they’re ordering.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics