Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Annie
Beginner July 2017 Alberta

Bridesmaid dresses

Annie, on December 15, 2016 at 22:00 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8
Just wanted to know if the bride normally pays for the bridesmaid dresses or maid of honour dress. I'm on a budget and cannot afford to pay for everything and I wanted to know what's the norm?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Chanelle, on November 28, 2017 at 02:17
  • Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have 6 bridesmaids with varying incomes but I couldn't afford all of their stuff x6.

So, I scoured online and found a gorgeous dress from Lulu's that they all loved and was on a ridiculous sale from $100 down to $29! I scooped it up immediately and shipped it to my american po box to save them money on shipping.

They will have to pay for their makeup on the wedding day (and I think I'll enforce this as some of them do very, very minimal makeup and I'm hoping for a more uniform look), but we agreed that they can just do each others hair as they all have different hair types and textures, so 1 style wouldn't work for all of them.

I will have them get some inexpensive sandals once I find some closer to the day, no more than $20 each.

I will pay for their jewelry on the wedding day as part of their thank you gift (I am thinking a simple necklace with the wedding date stamped on the back and a matching knot ring).

Overall, it shouldn't cost them more than $150 all in which I think is really reasonable compared to all of my friends who have been BM's in other weddings and have to spend well over $1000. They appreciate my frugality and search for deals.

• Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My girls are paying for their own dresses. Hair and makeup costs are ridiculous these days so I will take care of that part. Thanks goodness I only have 3 haha.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Annie! Welcome to the community ! Smiley heart I think you already got great answers for this, so let me know if there's anything else I can help you with Smiley smile You can also check out these other discussions in the community:

What should the bridesmaids / maid of honour pay for?

Pastel Bridesmaids Mix & Match. Like it?

What colour will be your bridesmaids dresses?

How many bridesmaids will you have? What colours did you have in mind? I can't wait to hear all about your wedding !

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Annie, usually it's the bridal party that is responsible for paying for their dresses. My bridal party will be responsible for purchasing their dresses but I also let them advise me on their budget and work them on it.
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's a good idea to consult with them on price for sure. Bridesmaid dresses can be very pricey and despite the fact that people are always trying to say that you can wear it again for another formal function, in most cases you can't because bridesmaid dresses just look like bridesmaid dresses!

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My girls are paying for their own, but I was mindful of everyones budget and picked something that worked for everyone .... didnt want to break the bank and I know it can cost alot to be in a wedding I have been in their shoes before so I kept everything in mind

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Bridesmaids/MOH usually pay for their own dresses. But if you're choosing the dress they are wearing then you need to be conscious of their budgets, ask them individually (as someone with a lower budget might be embarrassed or pressured to spend more if you ask them as a group) and be mindful not to go over the lowest budget Smiley smile
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had my girls pick a dress they agreed on for looks and price point and they paid for the dresses themselves as I can't afford to pay for them! I had the final say in the look of the dress if it was hideous or something but we all agreed on the same dress! But either way they accepted being your bridesmaids and MOH and should understand that there are costs involved in this process. I would just try and find something that fits all their budgets so you know everyone can afford to pay!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics