Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mackenzie
Newbie August 2017 Alberta

What should the bridesmaids / maid of honour pay for?

Mackenzie, on December 2, 2016 at 19:36 Posted in Before the wedding 1 12

Hey everyone,

So my bridesmaids are paying for their dresses and shoes (the shoes do not matter as their dresses are long .. so its all them for that). I am paying for nails, hair and makeup I bought them very nice gifts when I asked them to be apart of the bridal party and I will be giving them gifts the day of as well. We are going to Vegas for the bachlor/bachlorette and they will be paying their share in that. Does that all seem standard and fair?

Also, does the Maid of Honour pay / set up the bridal shower?? I am the first of all my friends to get married so there are many questions to be answered.

Thank you Smiley heart

12 Comments

Latest activity by Jennalyn, on December 7, 2016 at 03:46
  • Jennalyn
    Frequent user February 2017 Ontario
    Jennalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They should pay for their own way for the Bachelorette party but you can't expect them to pay your way. if they offer then great. as for the bridal shower whoever offers to host/pay for it does they may ask for help or your maids may offer to help. The bridal party is only expected to show up at your wedding on time in the dress. anything over that is a bonus. some bridesmaids/moh can't afford all the extras that come with wedding planning. the rule of thumb to remember is that no one is as excited for your wedding as much as you are. your girls may offer to help with planning or diy but they don't have to.
    Have fun with your planning
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't asked my one bridesmaid yet but I think that is very fair. I was planning on possibly paying for hair and makeup, I am not sure about nails since I have found that I am pretty picky about my fingernails and I am usually disapointed when I have someone else do them (I do my own nails 2-3 times a week usually) but I might so pedis the day before with them and my mom Smiley smile I might just arrange it and and then invite all FH's sisters and sisters in law as well as MIL but I won't be able to pay for all of that Smiley xd so it might be a giant bonding event and everyone pays for themselves.

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in the same boat as you Val... my girls are paying for all their own stuff .. I am getting them a couple gifts for being in my bridal party, but we all worked out a budget with what everyone was comfortable spending on hair and make up and we went that route .. as I dont have the allowance in my budget to pay for everyones hair and make up ... as I am taking care of off 3 kids attire and extras.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not paying for hair/makeup/nails but I very much included my girls in the decision of who I would hire to come do the hair and makeup at the house (I'm covering any travel fees though). This way I ensured it was in everyone's budget and it is completely up to them what they want to get done. I feel you, I would love to treat them all, but I just can't swing it in the budget

• Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What a great thread! I have given my bridal party each a small gift to ask them to be apart of my special day. However, I haven't concluded on what the bridesmaid and MOH should pay for.

It sounds like the standard if for the bridal party to pay for their own dress (fair enough).

I was planning on getting each of them a gift before the wedding as a thank-you for all their help, but it sounds like people are also paying for their nails, make-up etc.

Just out of curiousity, how much did you budget, or how much should I budget on this? (I have 4 girls in my bridal party). Obviously I would like to treat my girls well, but $$ is something sensitive for my wedding Smiley cry

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Mackenzie, welcome to the community!! Smiley heart I'm so glad you're asking about this because it can definitely be a tricky topic. I think it's amazing that you're paying for the hair, nails and makeup on your big day! I totally agree with the lovely other ladies who commented in your thread, I think it's fair. Smiley smile Will you bridesmaids be choosing their own dress for the wedding? How do they look like? Smiley catface

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I believe that is standard and also very kind of you to do this for your bridal party. I am looking at paying for nails and hair or nails and makeup since they will be responsible for their attire. I will get then bridal gifts for their participation in all the help they have given. Smiley smile
  • Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am paying for hair and makeup for my bridesmaids and will give them a little gift day of. They will pay for their dresses and shoes but I won't be picking anything TOO expensive. Nice but simple.

• Maly
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's about standard. And I'd say the maid of honor and bridesmaids plan and throw your shower too. I was a maid of honor 2 years ago and everything you stated happened the same way for me. Except for the makeup. We paid for that. But that's very nice of you to pamper your girls!
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sister paid for our dresses, her other 3 bridesmaids were still in school... My best friend paid for our dresses, accessories and shoes since the dresses she picked were super expensive and she wanted us to match completely... I will be buying the bridesmaids dresses and taking care of hair since they bought mine... It depends on what works for you and your friends/family.I was MOH at my sister's wedding but his sisters hosted the bachelorette party since the wedding was in their home town, again whatever makes sense.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! Sounds very normal, And fair. The rule is usually anything you "require" of the girls other than the dress you would pay for. ...otherwise they should pay their easy.
    As far as a shower goes, no one is officially responsible for that expense. Anyone who would like to host (mother, fmil, moh) can host, or a group of loved ones.
  • Tiffany
    Devoted September 2018 Quebec
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi,Congrats! And to me that sounds standard and fair. I was MOH in one of my friend's weddings, and a bridesmaid in 2 others. In all of them I bought my dress, shoes and andccessories (unless the accessories were my gift), and the bride paid for my hair and makeup (unless we did our own). As MOH I put on the Bachelorette party, and the Mother of the groom wanted to do the shower so I helped her with it. Hope this helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics