Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Frequent user October 2019 Ontario

Bridal Party Hair & Makeup

Amanda, on August 24, 2018 at 15:39 Posted in Beauty 0 17

Hi All!

I have just finished putting a deposit down for hair and makeup for me and my bridal party, my question is, has anyone gifted this to their bridal party instead of asking them to pay for it?

I have to pay all services in full 72 hours prior to my wedding date and I'm not sure if I should ask all my girls to pay me back for it, or give it as a gift so no one complains and tries to back out of using the services I've already paid for.

Thanks in advance!

17 Comments

Latest activity by Susan, on November 1, 2018 at 07:51
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a bridesmaid I have always paid for my own hair and make up. I'm sure some people gift it to their wedding party but I don't think it's something that is expected.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have recently talked with my MOH, we are in agreement that I will pay for hair and jewelry and she will pay for her dress and shoes. The other 2 ladies in my bridal party are my daughters so I'm paying for them either way. As for makeup we are still talking about that.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I decided I want to pay for my girls and my mom/MIL's services on the day (although I have not yet told them). The way I see it, I didn't want to get them something that they will only use once or not like (since everyone has different tastes). I found someone who quoted me a price that I was comfortable with and I'll probably buy some cheap "getting ready outfits" on black friday or boxing day as their gift to open on the morning of.

Having been a bridesmaid myself I know how costly it can be and I didn't like the idea of making them pay $200-$300 for a bridesmaid dress, pay to go to the bachelorette (which will probably be out of town), attending and bringing a gift to the bridal shower, and then ask them for more money on the day.

I know people say that when you say yes to being in a bridal party you should know what you're getting into but I say do it if you're able!!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is an issue that I have been struggling with as well. I don't have that many bridesmaids, but the price of getting hair done now is so expensive that it is hard to make space in your budget for it. I definitely think that you could make it your gift, I think that a lot of brides do end up doing that and then having the bridesmaids pay for the little extras that are usually the gift (jewelry etc.). I also think that already paying the down payment is a huge gift, I am sure that they wouldn't mind paying the remainder of it Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can afford to gift it to your girls, I think it's something they would love and appreciate. I plan to gift it to my mother and sister (I'm not having a bridal party).

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it is very sweet if you can do it. For me, its just not in my budget. I have 6 Girls & 1 of my MOHs is a hairdresser. I've given the Girls the option of the makeup artist I booked. I've paid the deposit & 1 of my MOHs offered to collect the $ from anyone having it done. My makeup artist doesn't collect $ per Girl and requires balance the day of our Wedding. My Mom has been going to the same hair dresser for 25 years. 2 of my Girls are booking appts to go with my Mom which I really appreciate.
  • Megs
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Megs ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am paying for my girls hair styling on the day of. I wanted to make sure that they all had it done for our photos... as for makeup I gave them the option since they are all good at their makeup. So if they wanted makeup done I would have them pay for that.
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will mostly pay for the bridal party as 2/3's of it are my kids, so I'll pay for the MOH as well, including the dresses. That will be my gift to them, maybe a little something else for the MOH.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I paid the deposit and they paid for the rest themselves. It was optional if they wanted to get it done professionally or do it themselves. I also let them choose their own hairstyle, so they could choose what they felt most comfortable in. I've been in 4 weddings and I've always paid for my own.

• Alissa
    Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Doing wedding hair for the past 10 years, I've had a very small portion of bridal parties pay for their own hair. In my experience, if the bride wants it done/wants everyone having it done in the same place, she'll usually pay for it. That being said, it depends on what else you're paying for. Bridesmaids usually understand that accepting the task will cost them. for my own wedding, i will be 'gifting' my girls their makeup since i like a specific style and I want them all to use the same artist. As well, since I am paying for their dresses, I will be asking for them to pay for their own hair (at a discounted price through my place of work)- which I don't think is unreasonable. Again, the girls accepted the position knowing it would cost them for something- Dont be afraid to ask them to pay you back if you need them to. They dont expect you to overrun your budget if you're not comfortable.
  • Amanda
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Looks like it is a common practice to pay for the bridal party!

Ive been apart of 4 weddings and each time I had to pay the hair and makeup artist in cash on the wedding day, so when all the people I contacted started asking to be paid prior to the wedding I was like wait what? This is a thing.

Looks like I’ll gifting the ladies their hair and makeup!

Thanks for all hour opinions ladies! ‘Twas great help!!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the other girls. If it's mandatory, you pay, if it's offered and they choose to do it, then you can decide if you want to gift it or not.

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am gifting them hair and makeup along with some other stuff as well. I think it’s an easier gift seeing how most people would like to have hair and makeup done.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you’ve required for them to use it then I would pay for it. That’s a big expense to all of a sudden be asked for. Unless they all agreed to the price before you booked them in for it.
    I am paying for it all myself and I also have to have it all paid before hand. It will be me, my 2 girls, the moms, and my grandma
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think in general the consensus seems to be
    -If you require them to have their M&H professionally done - you pay
    -if getting their H&M professionally done is an option (So some might do their own) - they pay
    It’s totally fine to have their hair and makeup as their gift! Most women don’t mind. I wouldn’t have lol
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I plan on paying for their hair and makeup as part of their gift. I only have 4 and a flower girl so it isn’t that expensive.
    I am then planning on finding either a bracelet or earrings for them to wear as part of the gift as well!
  • Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I tried telling them I’d pay for it, but since I’m giving the bridal party other things, they felt I was doing too much, lol. I think it is a nice idea!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics