Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maegan
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Bridal Party etiquette?? Should siblings including in laws always be in it? Can you just invite one half of a couple?

Maegan, on March 16, 2018 at 08:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

So I have an interesting situation here. My Fiance and I are getting married about a year after his sister and her fiance. She has already announced that I will be one of her bridesmaids to her family and I because I will be family soon. I was really pleased when she asked me and accepted of course. Her Fiance also asked mine to be one of his groomsmen and my fiancee (begrudgingly) accepted, (they do not get along and my fiance is well aware he was not asked by choice of his future brother in law).

So my problem is I want to have my fiance's sister as one of my bridesmaids now as she is helping me quite a bit with wedding planning as I am just starting and shes almost finished most things and we are bonding quite a bit. But my Fiance says I can`t have her as a bridesmaid or he will have to kick out one of his close friends to include his new brother in law. I told him that it wasn't necessary as I'm sure he wouldn't care that he was not asked, or they may just become friends before he has to make a final decision on who hes asking (we have 2 years before our wedding).

So opinions? Am I wrong to think you can ask one half of the couple and not the other to be in your bridal party? Is there any certain etiquette here that I should be thinking of?

**Side note: my Fiance will be asking my 2 brothers to be his groomsmen as they all get along really well**

13 Comments

Latest activity by Lyla, on March 20, 2018 at 05:09
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s nice that they did it.. but honestly, it is your day. I find that men get less of a say in things, so I wouldn’t budge if I were him. This is supposed to be a special day for you two, surrounded by people that you love who help keep you at ease and reassure you. It doesn’t sound like your brother in law is that person for him. If need be, pull your sister in law aside and tell her that he had already promised the spot to a good friend without thinking.. sometimes it’s easy enough to play it down to that. I wish you luck Smiley heart
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's nice to include family whenever you can but not necessary. I think it's nice for you to have his sister since she is related, and you get along, but her husband isn't related to either of you (and doesn't get along with your fiance) so he does not need to be asked.

Everyone in our wedding party is married or in a serious relationship and we aren't having any of their partners in the wedding party.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You definitely don't have to ask someone's spouse or fiance(e) to be in the wedding party just because their significant other is!

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd say no. For example, my FH sister is in my bridal party as we are close and she is his blood sister. She even asked if we were asking her hubby and I said no. (she was only curious) when choosing your bridal party who will stand with you it should not be based on couples it should be based on who you want there to share the day with you. I'd assure your fiancé that you can have his sister without having the husband no problem.
  • Tina
    Newbie July 2019 British Columbia
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The first wedding I was apart of - was my ex boyfriend's best friend (we were also close friends). His wife (fiance at the time) invited me to be one of her bridesmaids, which I was happy to be apart of. At the time, we had only met twice (they were only dating/engaged for about 7-8 months before they got married). I think one of the main reasons she asked me was because my ex boyfriend was the best man. It was very nice of her, but kind of weird.
    I'd say, there's no obligation at all to ask him if your fiance doesn't want to.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not wrong to only ask one person of the couple to be in the bridal party. Think of the bridal party as more divided, you ask the girls who are important to you, he asks the boys who are important to him.

If you're worried about this man feeling left out, you could ask him to be an usher and also ask him to sit at the head table. This will make him feel a little more involved in the day and avoid any awkward conversations, but still allow your FH to have the guys who are important to him.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance has one of his best friends as groomsmen and I am very close to his soon to be fiance but I have not asked her and neither will I. It is absolutely not necessary to include wedding parties significant others, including family. Your wedding party should not be who you think you have to have it should be who you want more than anyone to stand in your special day. You don't want to look back years later and think "why did I have them in the wedding party?!?!" And completely regret it.
  • Rayann
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Rayann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am a bridesmaid for one of a close friend's wedding. We always go on double dates and both are fiancé's became friends through us. Even though they are now friends. My fiancé is not a groomsmen. Its really not necessary to add his new brother in law.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry! Have her and don't ask him. I am sure he feels the same as your FH about their friendship and would rather not be forced to be apart of something he wouldn't want to be.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't have to ask both of them just because they are a couple. You should have people standing next to you that mean something to you; not just people you have to have up there.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m facing something somewhat similar. My fiancé is asking his BIL to be a groomsman, therefore I am compelled to ask his sister (who I don’t necessarily get along with) to be one of mine. Everyone around me tells me I shouldn’t ask her if I don’t want her, but it’s the right thing to do.

It’s a weird situation. I think your fiancé can get away with not asking his FBIL to be part of it since it’s not like he’s saying no to one of your brothers.

Good luck with things ❤️
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you’re right! It isn’t necessary that he chooses his new brother in law. He should choose the people closest to him that he wants to. Maybe your new brother in law can do something else for the wedding like be an usher if you’re having any ushers? You should both get to have the people you want standing there with you on your wedding day.
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did the same thing! I asked a friend and my fH didn’t ask her husband. I dont see anything wrong with it. Just because they are a couple doesn’t make it automatic to the wedding party!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics