Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alissa
Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia

Booking too early a bad idea?

Alissa, on April 15, 2018 at 01:21 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25
Because of our other lifes plans, My FH and I have decided to get married in 2020. But we are both really easy going- we picked a date, ceremony and reception venue less than a month after getting engaged. Should we be securing these locations now or should we wait? I've had the same pinterest board for years, I know I am not likely to change my mind, and we are expecting between 280-300 guests so there aren't a lot of gorgeous places that will accommodate us anyhow. but for some reason I still have a bit of anxiety locking down place so far in after being engaged for such a short time. Did anyone else have these nervous feelings before tying themselves down to a venue? Should I wait? Do more research?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Lyla, on April 17, 2018 at 03:44
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely get everything done as early as possible. It’s never too early, especially with that many guests. I booked my wedding venue 11 months before the date, unfortunately I didn’t get the exact date that I had wanted but I did get it in July atleast!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say book early! For a venue, it's never too early to book! If you love it, chances of finding something better are slim. We only looked at three venues and the third one was it. I have no regrets not looking at more!

You could wait a bit if you think this could be "engagement happy" feelings, but honestly, I think if you love it now, you will love it later too!

• Christine
    Curious September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would book now if your hearts are set on it. I booked everything a little over a year in advance, even then I had some photographers that I talked to already booked for my date!
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Book early.
    i had venues scouted/quoted almost immediately and booked in November 2015 despite my wedding being this coming August.

for those reading this & possibly shellshocked, i'll explain: 8 is a lucky number in Asian culture. knowing that a lot of couples would likely book 2018 dates fuelled my quest to lock down venue, DJ, florist & catering by early-mid 2016.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can always check their deposit policy, my venue allows me to get my deposit back up to a certain time frame before the wedding.

Also, if you're pretty much 100% certain, go for it. There's no harm in it. And if you lost out on your first choice vendor, you'll be pretty upset.

Sometimes with the perfect venue, like the guy, you'll just know.

• Alexandria
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know how you feel, but in my case it was photographer. I will marry my fiancé on Aug 1st, 2020, and knew I wanted this particular person. I paid the deposit and booked...but had a bit of nerves prior because it is a real shock to actually do it!

I don't regret it. You probably won't either.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think for venues it may be a good idea to book early as they tend to go fast from what I have heard/experienced.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked our venue right away as we knew we would run out of places to choose from. We had it booked within the first month of being engaged!

• T
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    TIANNA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Booking earlier is better if you are sure! Venues go quickly!
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well you and I sound very similar Smiley xd . Every girl, even if they don't admit it, have put together some sort of idea about their future wedding date, wedding venue, ceremony, dress, etc... I don't think you're wrong at all for being this prepared! Before I got engaged, I fell in love with this one venue so right when we got engaged I was telling my FH "lets book...NOW!", knowing that places book up anytime between 1-2 years in advance.

We have since looked at other venues. Just make sure that you're FH is on board with all the decisions and listen to his suggestion. Once my FH and I got onto the same page about needs and wants for the wedding we were able to lock down a venue that satisfied both of us. We are booking our venue now for October 2019 and they already had our original dates booked so we are having our wedding later in October. It doesn't hurt to shop around, check out venues that are total opposite of one another that way you get the most experience! You never know what you might like! Also, it doesn't hurt to see what other venues offer in their packages.

Good luck!

• Cynthia
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do it ASAP! Everywhere I called was all booked for 2018 and almost all booked 2019.

my venue/wedding is super small so the venue we are going with asked us to wait until this sept to reserve. We are also 2020. But with your size of group I’d do it soon.
  • Kristina
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I booked almost 2 years in advance because we live 4hrs away by plane and was planning it all long distance. I felt so relieved that everything was secured early because it gave me time to do my research on different vendors not be rushed or worried that things would be booked.
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got better prices because of how early i booked, so trust me & all us gals when we say do it.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would book early if I were you, but I'm the kind of person who likes to plan things and have them secured. If you know what you want, go ahead and book it! Imagine if you wait and your dream venue books up? That would be terrible!

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked our venue right away. It was actually the first one I looked at and liked so we went with it. I would recommend to stop looking, that will just bring problems if you fall in love with something else.

I was having those feelings, like should I have looked more but we got a good price and I just have to push those thoughts out of my head haha.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say always better to book earlier. Chances are people are already looking for 2020 weddings, so if you have your heart set on specific places, go now and make the bookings. It also helps in terms of budgeting because you can put down your deposits now, and start to save money for the other payments.

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you have a large amount of guests it's good to book early because of availability conflicts. I have a friend who wanted to get married early but can't. She had to book a place to accommodate her large family at a popular hall in Toronto.

• H
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Hayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and I are in the same boat. We booked a venue last week for 2020. It's not a bad idea to book early.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancée and I signed our contract over 2.5 years early for our venue! We’re in the same boat with a wedding in 2020 and our venue actually told us by booking early, we missed one or two price increases. So it pays to book early sometimes.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s good to book early and I do know how you feel. Even now being 4 months out I question if I should wait to purchase something just in case I change my mind or find a better deal etc and I think it’s always good to do lots of research! When you’re really excited about something and do the research its smart to book this early. Smiley smile
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's definitely a good idea! Your wedding date could be the "popular" date that year. And with that many people I'd make sure it's secure just to be safe.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We started looking at venues and found the one we wanted quite early on. When we asked them about dates available they said their next available date in May (the month we wanted) they didn't have anything for 2 years!
    I really recommend booking the venue early so that you don't miss out on your date. Also some of our vendors that we reached out to were also booked the 2 years in advance just a heads up!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were engaged September 2016 and only getting married May 2018 but when we found the venue we wanted we booked it , Nov 2016! When you find what you love book it! You don't want to lose it! Also if it's super early ask the venue if you can put down a lesser deposit to hold the date for you, that way if anything happens where you change your mind, or any other circumstance, it's not a major impact on the pocketbook! Hope this helps!
  • Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s never to early to start planning. We got engaged last July and are getting married this ausgust. By October I had the venue, caterer, florist, photographer and cake booked with deposits down. We are coming up on 3 months till wedding and plan on having everything paid for before the actual wedding.

I did have some anxiety about booking (what I thought) so far in advance but honestly the time has flown by SO quickly! It feels like we just got engaged a few months ago!

My advice would be to do your research, ask the questions and book when you feel like it’s the time. So far my planning has been no sweat. Ask me again in a month and a half and we will see how we are. 🤣🤣🤣
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not a bad idea to think ahead!! securing early can help land a better deal. i booked my reception space 6 mths after our engagement, and began toying with save the date templates around that time!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics