Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brette
Beginner June 2019 British Columbia

Bartender vs byob

Brette, on September 12, 2018 at 16:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
I need a bartender that will bring their own booze and only charge for what is consumed.
I would much rather have a BYOB, as my family is full of people who can’t contain their alcohol. But my SO family is not jiving with that and would like a bar. Hoping someone can suggest a bartender that will do it all themselves so I can move on and de stress.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on March 18, 2020 at 12:56
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thunder Bay, Ontario!

• M
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Misty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where was this?

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was at a wedding where they had to provide their own liquour and mixes. They had a few different beers, both red and white wine, vodka, rye, rum, tequila, coke, sprite, ginger ale, orange juice, cranberry juice, lime and lemon juice. You got whatever liquour you wanted, and then mixed whatever you wanted in it. This is a common thing to do at shags (stag and does, socials, etc) here as well.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what we did. We bought our own alcohol and mixers. We created a few "signature drinks" so that we didn't have to provide a full bar. We had beer, cider, red and white wine, vodka, rum, tequila, coke, lime juice, orange juice, cranberry juice. We had a list of the drinks, including what was in it so that someone could create their own drink using those ingredients. We planned on returning the unopened but somewhere along the lines our receipts got lost (we had to turn them into the venue to prove the alcohol was purchased; but now we just have another reason to invite people over!)

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cash bar seems to be the answer for a compromise between the families. No booze tp bring plus guests pay for their own instead and have the last call for 12 3o if you feel concerned about people getting drunk, the bartenders can limit the drinks if needed.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Where are you getting married? Are you allowed to provide your own liquor license and liquor? I used to work for a freelance bartending company in the Vancouver area... as the bartender, we provided our services, brought our own ice bins, mix jugs, shakers and garnish tools (knife/cutting board). You simply provide the space (bar), liquor license (required in BC), liquor, mix, glassware/plastic and ice. Almost no bartending company would provide all of that equipment/product. But they can guide you as to what you need, and then they set it up, take it down, etc.

If you purchase from the BC Liquor Stores, you just leave as many bottles/cases of beer sealed as possible, and then you can return them after the wedding if they aren't used. Same as flats of pop/juice from Costco. You can also pre-order your booze from BCLS, and then pick up just before the wedding.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about self-provided bars at BC venues.

• Brette
    Beginner June 2019 British Columbia
    Brette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That would work! If they have me a list of what I need to provide because I don’t want to have to add all that on my plate on top of everything.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if that is a thing or not but here in Manitoba the closest thing that we have for that kind of an option is to hire a bartender company that would provide: bartenders, cups, ice, mix, and garnishes. All that the bride and groom would provide is the alcohol and whatever isn't consumed gets returned to the LC as long as it is unopened and then they get their money back.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics