Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Are you over budget?

Joey, on October 23, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 24

Go on, tell us the truth, you're among friends here. Is it looking like your wedding is going to come in over budget? Are you over budget now? Have you had to change your budget a few times already to accommodate all the costs that come with hosting a wedding?

Are you over budget? 1

24 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on October 26, 2018 at 22:25
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far we are fairly under budget but both our families wanted to contribute so that will just come off the total. We did not consider that in our budget.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I overbudgeted in general on everything in my budget to make it as realistic as possible. At the end I’m hoping to come in a bit under budget because we’ve gone over on some important things (photographer) and have been under on other things (florals/decor). Mind you my budget is quite large so I really wouldn’t want to go over anyway
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did go over budget by a couple thousand. My parents ended up giving us more than they had originally agreed so we weren't in debt!

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally over budget... Smiley cry
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sort of? My parents set a budget (divorced parents, they each agreed on a number to contribute, so it's split 50/50), and then my FH's parents set a number they'd put towards the bar.

As of right now, I've gone over budget on some things (our wedding attire), and under budget on others (decor & flowers). I'm currently estimating food costs based on almost 100% accepted RSVPs, so I could be overbudgeting for that.

My mom has also told me that I should do my best to stick to the budget, but there is wiggle room when it comes down to final expenses. She had to admit that to me when I kept having panic attacks that I was trying to be budget conscious but things were so expensive. I think they started my budget lower to give that "space" for unexpected stuff.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What about you Joey. were you over? right on? Give us some advice! Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Shhhhh...... I'm being good I promise Smiley love
  • M
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    M Mills ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We really didn't have a budget per se, but a soft number in mind. But yes, I think we have exceeded that already. We are splitting up our ceremony and receptions. Ceremony is small - 40 people or so, and that is just dinner after. Already that is over $10k and I haven't even gotten the dress (and my ceremony is in 3 weeks!!). I am not factoring our honeymoon into our budget. The two receptions will be held next year, and those will be in th 80-100 people range. We have to hold two because FH is from a different province and all his family is out west so we will have one here in Toronto and one out west. I'm stressed just thinking about planning those lol. Thankfully his mother has volunteered to do most of the heavy lifting for the "out west reception." But I don't even want to think about how much both these receptions are going to cost!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far still in line with out budget. even a bit in the green as we had some unexpected surprises from family. My aunt and uncle bought my wedding dress, my FMIL gave me $500 towards my dress, then said use it to something else.

i'm being very cost cautious on things as I go. but realizing/knowing certain things are worth the cost (to me having someone setup/take down decos is worth every penny after being a bridesmaid too many times).

I can see myself spending more than what we estimate for gifts on our wedding party because I just keep seeing things I want to get them!

• Samantha
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be having approximately 50-60 people at my wedding. Sooo we have a super small budget of 8000. Here’s what I’ve got so far though!!!!

invites and paper products are virtually free, just postage because my brother is a graphic designer and will be doing it all for me!

I won my photography and videography package

We found an awesome officiant for $200.00

our venue is a German club and we can have ceremony and reception there for $900, catering from there at about 35$ per person
    (taco bar)

favours, we are growing our own succulents

friends will do audio tech and DJ trade for my cake services

gotta find my dress but I’m doing good!
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are doing well, though there’s still much left to do so we will see. We’ve kept our budget in mind every time we make a decision related to our wedding so hopefully that pays off!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The meme is pretty much us. Lol. We didn’t make a budget. So there was no budget to work against. Lol. I definitely spent more on a couple things then I would have liked too though.
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are absolutely over budget. We budgeted about $2000 for our venue and it's actually $5000. Plus all these extra fees they are making us pay. Rental fees for literally everything.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope! My fiancé and I are doing pretty well. Our photographer was $700 under budget (and he’s fantastic!) and our DJ is right in our budget. Everything else I think I overestimated to be certain =P
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I probably will be lol. I haven't done a lot of the actual purchasing things yet but that'll start within the next few weeks. So we'll see by then lol

My parents have very graciously offered to pitch in quite a bit but we still have a budget to stick to. I'm visiting them in a week so we'll be doing some re-adjusting/guest list revising when we are there. W are also doing meet-ups with DJ and officiant and will figure out their exact pricing.

We're doing DIY and minimal decor which will help save as well.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far, so good!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've heard really wonderful things about Costco flowers too! I looked into it but I honestly didn't have any way to get the flowers to my venue or store them the night before the wedding. We ended up going with a florists just for the peace of mind lol.

• Marci
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Marci ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you thought about getting your flowers from Costco. I decided I am going to be doing that its going to save hundreds of dollars and I have heard some good reviews Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far so good - just got me wedding dress and some accessories and I had budgeted for it but my Dad stepped in and payed Smiley smile

With that being said - we payed a little more than we would've liked for the venue but it was still on the cheaper side so that might have been inevitable. Our budget is $20,000 but that is not including how much we spend on or make at our wedding social or how much our honeymoon will be either.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Over budget.

Our budget has been adjusted twice - first an increase from our first unrealistic one, second a small increase from that to adjust for a bigger guest list.

It really started with our guest list growing, then certain things just got us like flowers which are SO MUCH more than we wanted to spend (but I’m okay with that now lol). Now we’re happy that we got a lot of the big items off our planning list and can just piece together the rest (hopefully under budget too lol).
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes and no - We originally wanted a small (75 ish people) wedding, and planned an 8-10,000$ budget to match.

Well, our guest list was cut down to 208 people (from over 430, so I think we did pretty good!) before cutting any more would mean cutting close family and friends - so our budget quickly changed to ****$

With that change in budget, we're pretty close to staying 'on budget'. In reality, once I re-sell all the décor items I purchased, our budget should be closer to the 15,000$ than the 17,000$.

And we're not including the honeymoon in our budget.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    With the way things are now - yes we’re over budget. Personally I don’t think our budget was ever accurate to begin with though.

We’ll have to reassess things in the up coming weeks.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So far we are on budget but I'm expecting we will probably be over by around $1000... we're having an open bar and there's no set cost at our venue so we won't know til the end of the night what the cost is. I figure if I anticipate it being $1000 I'm safe lol
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely over budget. I gave up. First, I ran out of time for a lot of the DIY projects that I though I could do myself. Second, I've honestly just given up on getting money from the bridesmaids and moms for the hair and makeup person. And finally, we decided about halfway through that we really did need a honeymoon immediately following the wedding. Oh well, I'm lucky I can afford to be over budget is the attitude I'm choosing to take to it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics