Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cliodhna
WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway

Are you inviting someone out of obligation?

Cliodhna, on November 11, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19

The guest list, the guest list, the guest list! You spend hours pouring over it, playing with the numbers, and trying to fit in everyone you want to celebrate with. Is there someone on your list you feel you have to invite as opposed to genuinely wanting them there? Did your in-laws insist on some invites, or are there a few very extended family members you wish you could drop off the list?

Fess up, are you inviting someone out of obligation?

Next Question: Have you ever thought about eloping instead?

Back to the Beginning: Wedding Planning Confessions

19 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on November 25, 2019 at 11:41
  • Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our parents friends are being invited out of obligation.. but we both really cut down those lists to only the people we want to come

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mom did ask for her friend to be invited-which I wasn’t completely against. My parents were helping with the wedding so I figured one person wouldn’t hurt!
  • Kelly
    Curious February 2020 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A bunch of family members - one thing I quickly learned about planning our wedding was that it's much more about your families than it is about you two as the bride and groom lol. Fiance has a huge family and he really wanted to invite some of them as he's very close to them, however the rule is "you invite one you invite all" so him wanting to invite three aunts and uncles he's close to turned into 8 aunts and uncles, him wanting to invite 4 cousins turned into 30 cousins, etc. Same with me, I'm not close with my extended family at all but felt obligated to invite them out of courtesy. It's a little silly to me because as we have a small venue we had to limit our friend list to only 15 people and there are plenty of friends we're much closer to and would have loved to invite but can't because we had to make room for relatives some of us haven't seen in over a decade but that's the way it goes I guess!

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately a handful of people. I'm honestly kind of hoping they fall out of our social circles so we don't have to invite them 🙈
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No neither of us have big families and with our schedules we dont get to see them nearly enough so we were happy to invite them. Our friends will top up the list.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't feel that I did on my side with the first round...maybe one or two on my FH side. My parents have told me they had a lot of people pressuring them for everything during their wedding for literally everything, so they are like the opposite: not insisting anyone extra of their friends is invited.

We're also paying for everything, so it's a little easy to say no to people.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not. i just invited family and my friends that i have talked too for years. my FH on the other hand wants to invite everyone under the sun and his friends' parents ugh lol

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Of course! I wanted a very small/intimate wedding, but that went out the window quickly. So basically all of my aunts/uncles and most of my cousins had to be invited because "they're family".

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ya... we invited my FH's ex because she is married to one of his friends... don't worry though - she wasn't invited to my bachelorette or the getting ready process!

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not really, our guest list is mostly close friends and family

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Of course. lots of family members, unfortunately
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes. But I think of they aren't there it will cause more drama so I'll suck it up!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately yes. Long story short we had one child create a lot of drama for us on my husbands side of the family. We were strictly adults only except our immediate niece and nephews, but there was one ( my husbands, aunts grand daughter) who made a big stink about coming and she was 12.... not cool. So we invited her and she didn’t say 2 words to my husband or myself the whole night.... lesson learned. Stand your ground!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes. Since our parents are helping out a bit with the cost we've had to be somewhat lenient with giving them a few friends or family members who wouldn't ordinarily be invited.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely caved to some obligatory invites lol. My parents graciously paid for a bulk of our wedding so I felt bad when they wanted to invite a cousin, or some of their friends I'm not as close to.

I definitely made that Fallon Face anytime guest list issues came up lol

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I felt I did yet not in a good way. There was one person that wasn't intended to be invited, yet attended against my regards. My husband fought me on the particular individual given a warning about her attending and did keep my word.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So many people. Mainly my grandmother friends who are kind of part of the family and get invited to Christmas and stuff. My mom really insisted that I invite them so I did, but they all fit at 1 table. I also felt obliged to invite my dad brother and wife, but it worked out ok bc I had no one to sit with my dad anyway.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, yes, I can think of one couple of the top of my head that's on the list because I felt like they had to be there since they're family.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I'd have to look at the guest list to know that haha. I don't think so though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics