Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sinéad
WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway

Are you inviting plus ones?

Sinéad, on November 4, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 24

Have you decided whether you will give your single guests a plus one for your wedding? Do you have a plus one policy?

Are you inviting plus ones?

Next Question: Are you inviting your parents’ friends?

Back to the Beginning: Who made your guest list?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on November 25, 2019 at 13:41
  • Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think its just good manners to give everyone a plus one, I know a lot of single people we extend a plus one to wont use it

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did. We had very few single guests that we allowed them a plus one. I had recently been to a wedding without my husband and was one of the only “single” people there and it was rather lonely when everyone danced with their partner. So, we wanted everyone to at least have the option of bringing someone. But none of them did.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Serious relationships only unless the guest won't know anyone else.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any one in a long-term relationship gets the plus one. The numbers are way too tight as it is at the moment, and it would mean cutting 15-20 family members to give every single person a date. There's only two exception - one member of the bridal party who isn't in a relationship (as a thank you) and my FH mother.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Only for people that we know their SO. Nobody’s getting a generic plus one
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Only if we know they're dating someone
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We gave plus ones to people in serious relationships and that was it. We're not paying $57 per head for food alone to give to random people

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No plus ones. I want to know everyone attending.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

2 guests were given plus one's and wasn't needed at all. One didn't respond as the other decided she was coming alone. No one else got a plus one as the names were specified.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I gave plus 1s to those in serious relationships, and those I dont know very well, such as my fiances 2nd cousins. My dad did ask for a plus 1 a week before the wedding but it worked out bc my grandmother wont be able to make it.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If the single knew someone else who was attending the wedding, we didn't give them a plus one. We only gave one to one of my husband's friends who wouldn't know anyone else.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not to the ceremony/dinner, but plus ones are welcome to join for the party
  • M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All of the bridal party get a plus one no questions asked, as a thank you for all their work. Those in a serious relationship (married or dating) get a plus one. Friends who know no one else at the wedding get a plus one.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Singles arent getting a plus one!

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! I remember being invited to family weddings where if I didn’t have a steady boyfriend I wasn’t allowed to bring a guest. Yes, it was a wedding I knew people but it does get a bit lonely when you feel like the third wheel to the other couples your own age. Or during slow songs were the worst you know you were being asked because they felt bad that you didn’t have a date, so you make your excuses and head to the open bar. Our numbers with our single friends are pretty small that adding a plus one wouldn’t make that much of a difference anyway.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not for single people, unless they don't know anyone else at the wedding.

We've got a few single guests who always bring friends to parties so they're pretty much a package deal and we've allowed a plus one for them.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We invited plus ones to guests who we knew were in a relationship for a long period of time. Half of them didn't end up coming anyways

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Plus ones were only given to guests in serious relationships. That ruffled a few feathers on my side, but nothing my hubby and I couldn't handle.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will allow plus ones. We aren't having a dinner, so we won't need to worry about a few extras showing up.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There will be no plus ones, we kept it under 60 to keep it as intimate as possible. But we accounted for people that we knew have long term significant others. But because it's so intimate almost everyone already knows at least 3 other people, so we didn't feel bad about not including plus ones
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Single people didn't get a plus one, but we asked around to figure out who had significant others and we addressed them on envelopes by name.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Singles did not get plus ones. We only allowed it if they reached out to us and if a) it was for a S/O and not just a friend and b) they had started seeing them more recently and we weren't aware

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, everyone we invite will be allowed to be bring a guest.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have made allowances for a plus one for anyone who wants. I'm sure not everyone will bring someone though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics