Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sonia
Frequent user May 2019 Quebec

Are engagement photos worth it

Sonia, on November 9, 2017 at 13:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
Hi all!
Just wondering what your take on engagement photos are. We’re in Montreal and I’m not sure if I want to do them or not. We’re meeting with our videographer/photographer next tuesday and I’m wondering what a general price to pay is.
If it’s less than 500$ maybe but more is an absolute no. We can even take them ourselves but who has the time to plan all that
Any advice is greatly appreciated Smiley smile

19 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 20, 2017 at 23:25
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Go foe it cause you will never get that chance to turn back time. Our package included it.
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not meant as a sad face Was supposed to be a happy face Smiley smile
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks ladies so much for all the advice. One more question though, what would you consider really important questions to ask your photographer??? We’re going on Tuesday and i want to make sure that we’re preparedSmiley sad
  • Jackie
    Newbie October 2017 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yesssssss!! Do them. You may regret it later if you don't. We are married now and we did engagement photos and I'm so happy we did. It's so nice to look back at them and having that as a keep sake to look back on of the process of our engament preceding the wedding day. And you will always have them as you grow old together and can share those memories. And you can get creative with them and make them your own
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It' s included in our package so we are doing it. We want pictures on our invitations. It also gives a chance to get to know our photographers and for them to know us. I have spoken with lots of photographers and most of them prefer them for that reason as well. That way, they get a better idea of what you want on your wedding day. The photographers that didn't offer them in their package would do it for $200-$300 dollars. Most photographers actually have a "per hour" rate. Divide the package amount by number of hours to see how much they are charging per hour. That's about how much an hour engagement session should be.

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im from montreal too Smiley smile we just did out engagement shoot today! I wasnt sure if we needed it in the beginning but my FH was able to swap an album credit for our 90min session instead. Im SUPER glad we did the engagement shoot!! It got rid of our jitters and awkwardness, especially from me as i hate pics. It also gave us time to talk to our photographer about our upcoming wedding and allowed us to really vibe with her before the big day. I would say if you can, do it!!
    You could always see if they would swap something thats already included in your package for the engagement photos instead, or use it as a credit towards an engagement session.
    For us, we didnt see the need for an album. And if we ever wanted its actually cheaper to print the photos ourselves (through professional printers) and arrange it.
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s it, our package doesn’t include the engagement pictures but maybe we could work something out with our photographer to get them included? I really don’t know. The huge picture is included in our package along with 2 smaller ones for our family, we get the album and all the pictures and footage of our wedding along with a little teaser video of the big day.
    I just don’t want the pictures to be super expensive, if they are it just seems like a waste to me.
    But I love all these answers. Keep em coming Smiley smile
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We actually didn’t do engagement photos. It was a part of our packages but we got our photographer to replace it with something else. In place of our engagement photos we’re getting a 24”x36” canvas photo and we couldn’t be happier!
  • Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is a good idea to do it! Most photographers offer it in their packages or at a discounted rate when you book with them. It was fun, we got to learn how our photographer likes to shoot and how we like to pose. I also plan on using the engagement pictures as part of our centerpieces.

• Marly
    Newbie June 2018 Ontario
    Marly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! We aren't fans of taking photos, so we were hesitant at first but an engagement session was included in our photography package and I am SO happy we did it! Not only do we finally have pictures of us, and are somewhat comfortable in front of a camera for our wedding day, but it was actually a lot of fun. It was nice to be have fun together, just us without stressing. Totally worth it Smiley smile

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think engagement photos are a good idea. For one, the photographer can get a good feel for you guys as a couple, and you can get to see how the photographer is to. You will get to learn different poses and positions and then when you do your wedding photos, it wont seem as weird doing all these different poses. Also if you want to use engagement photos in/on your wedding invitations or have a photo at your wedding somewhere, then you have those available to you as well. Some photographers will include the engagement photos in the cost of the package... mine offered us a discount on ours, and gave us a free photobooth option for the reception instead. Where I live, the price for engagement photos on their own are usually around $100-150.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did engagement photos!! I thought it was totally worth it for "family photos" and we used our picture on our invitation. Honestly I am in love with these pictures! Haha but a lot of photographers (not sure about Montreal) will include the engagement photos with your wedding package! At least ours did! Also, then your photographer can learn they way you take photos so they can put you in the perfect photos for your wedding! Just my thoughts 😊
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s exactly why I wanted to get them done, we’re both shy but yet outgoing people and we take the normal couple poses at events. It would be a great learning experience to know how to pose and get comfortable with each other and our photographer
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do engagement photos because our wedding was only seven months after the engagement.

Some people like to do them to get a better feel for their wedding photographer and iron out any kind of likes/dislikes, but it's not a requirement to get them and if you don't want them, then you don't have to get any.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm glad we got engagement photos done as we didn't have many photos of us together. Well, nice ones anyway haha. I love that we now have so many nice pictures to look back on.

We also used one of the photos as our wedding invitations which everyone loved.
  • Shelly
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Shelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! Engagement photos are not only great for you to learn to pose with each other, and to get something adorable for the save the date, invitation or even your guest book at your wedding - but it's a GREAT opportunity for your photographer to have a test run taking pictures of you before the wedding. I used to shoot weddings and it was always so much easier shooting a wedding after I had done an engagement shoot because I got to know the couple a lot better!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm glad we did them as we got to learn about posing together and taking direction from our photographers. It's also nice to have the two sets of photos (engagement and wedding) to look back on especially if you are got engaged and married at different times of the year.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wasn't planning on getting them done at all. The only reason I got them is because they were included in our photographer's wedding package. I am so glad we got them done! It was super fun and the pictures are beautiful and I'm glad that we got to get to know our photographer and learn how to pose together before the wedding. I think you should see if you can get a package that includes the engagement shoot....I'm not sure what a good price would be separately.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A lot of photographers will do engagement sessions complimentary or included in their wedding package. They like to get a feel for the couple and their personalities before wedding day and engagement photos are a great way of doing it. I found engagement photos were also useful for us because i realised how awkward i am in front of a camera and kinda got used to getting my photos taken and how to pose. I was t a fan of engagement photos and wasnt going to get them done until they came complimentary and we had so much fun and i am SO glad we did them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics