Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Curious October 2020 Ontario

Am i sending out too early?

Hayley, on July 9, 2018 at 18:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
So I have seen that the recommendations for save the dates is 8 months to a year and the invites 3-4 months... My fiance has family in Calgary, and the states and I have family on the east coast. So I was planning on sending save the dates to anyone who will need to travel a year and a half out. And then send the rest a year out. Then i was planning on sending all the invites 6 months out..... this is partially because i like to get things done early and also partially because we have a minimum that we have to pay for... and because we have cut a lot of people from the guest list if we get a lot of rsvps back early saying no then we need to send more out.... i dont know if thats bad but its what i agreed to do with my FMIL as to not get in crap for cutting a lot of people because our budget can not afford the 200 + guest list that she would want.

Is this okay or....? Idk I just worry

15 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 11, 2018 at 14:34
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had sent out the invites 9 months (December 2016) prior and RSVP date end of March 2017. I took 6 months to give myself to know how much i needed per room welcome bags and information printed out and how much to buy based on replies.

Your time frame is good and should stick with your decision.
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nothing wrong with this in my opinion, I did the same thing almost. I didn't do save the dates and we only got engaged a year and a half before the date we picked. But as soon as we had the date, we contacted our family that needed to travel from far (out of country) and let them know, so they could book their vacations.

We sent out our invitations 6 months in advance, our RSVP is at the end of July and I am still waiting on 60/190 responses.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Early invites can be good, but keep in mind that if you send them early then you should out an early RSVP by date or people will wait until the last minute to do it and you will stress more! I'm from NC and my hubby is from SK but I have a huge military family stationed all over Canada. He has family in AB, SK, and ON. Save the dates went out at the knees year mark (june) and invites will go out in January, with RSVPs needed by March! Early enough that people can know for sure, and I can send more invites if needed, but close enough to the wedding that they qont forget!
  • Ilish
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Ilish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are getting married in Canmore on Sept 28.2019 and we sent out invitations in March of this year. We have guests too coming from the States and East coast. Lots of guests appreciated the advance notice: helps them save as it is a “destination wedding” and helps them make plans/arrangements. Lots of forums I read said it was too early as people may forget but with the amount of wedding talk I do ... impossible for them to forget 😎
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Literally going through the SAME THING! We're sending out invites next week (4 months before the wedding) so we can get the RSVPs back so my in-laws can invite more people :p Any earlier than 4months though and people may forget to RSVP. We made our RSVP date September 16, 2 months before the wedding, so we have lots of time to chase people down Smiley smile
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha, if you figure out how to crap cash let me in on your secret! LOL

We are also getting married in the OK..nice choice- its so beautiful there! It's also chockablock with AB plates, so you may be surprised who will come.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the save the dates that early is fine!! If you have your online RSVP up maybe the ones out further can RSVP now instead of later to help out? Invites at 6 months is alright but I feel like too much time for people to RSVP will make them forget easily... unless you send out an email reminder maybe 2 months out too?
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yep I’d say so!
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was planning on making my rsvp date 2 months before the wedding.... im a planner and theres a lot of family drama so i want time to figure out the seating plan so that fights dont happen. So thay gives them 4 months.... is that early enough?
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent ours out at 6 months but we didn’t send save the dates. I don’t think it’s too early but I’m kind of regretting it bc I’m still waiting on so many rsvps I feel like ppl forgot. Maybe just make sure your rsvp date is a little earlier too?
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for all the input. I think I am going to stick with the timeline
  • Samantha
    Newbie May 2019 British Columbia
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If travel is involved, the earlier the better for any STD. Even the invites I'd personally send out earlier. The timeline you've laid out seems very reasonable to me. Time has a way of creeping up on people.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be not doing save the dates but I see nothing wrong with your timeline. I spread my date through word of month and will be sending out my invitations in the next few weeks so 6-7 months out. Our guests will all be travelling as well so I want to give them notice.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's totally up to you! Much better to be overly courteous and send them too early than too late. Perhaps wait just a little longer... closer to a year? Otherwise people might forget....?
    You can always personally let certain people know by email or messaging... then send out official STDs at the 1 year mark.
  • Phaidra
    Frequent user October 2019 Alberta
    Phaidra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is in October next year and I want to have my STD's out by the end of August (we're not going to do invites, the STD's will have a link to the website to RSVP). I also have a 200+ guest list (REVISED EVEN) and it's so nerve wracking. We live in Edmonton AB, and are getting married in the Okanagan, so I am thinking we will have a lot of folks (some friends and such) from AB not be able to make it. (Which is obviously sad and I love them, but I also like...am not crapping money.)

At the end of the day, this is your wedding, this is your day. Do it however makes sense to you! Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics