Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Courtney
Super July 2018 Ontario

Am i a bad bridesmaid.

Courtney, on January 31, 2018 at 16:29 Posted in Before the wedding 0 26

I need to know, bluntly, if I'm being a horrible friend/bridesmaid.

I'm getting married this year, as is one of my good friends. My wedding is first (in July) and hers is at the end of September. We are both in each other's weddings.

Anyway. Before I was asked to be in her wedding, my FH and I decided we want to do Indonesia for 3 weeks for our honeymoon in late September. Once I was asked to be in her wedding (and he was asked to be in their wedding as well) we decided to move our honeymoon to earlier in September... we didn't want to go in the summer since it's nice here, and October can be shit weather there. We're leaving the 1st of September and get back 8 days before her wedding. I used my wedding planning as a template and all my stuff is done (including bachelorette) prior to one month, or in the last week before the wedding.

I expected her bachelorette to be in late August, but I've just gotten word that she's wanting to do hers in September. I won't be able to go as I'm on my honeymoon.

Am I a horrible bridesmaid?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Maureen, on March 19, 2018 at 10:33
  • Maureen
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Maureen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all! You have already rearranged the honeymoon, she should understand if you cant attend the batchloreete!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No absolutely not! you have given her plenty of noticed and worked around both your weddings a lot. There was always a chance when she asked you that you wouldn't be able to make some events!

• Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not horrible at all! If she isn't willing to work around your honeymoon that's a bit selfish of her in my opinion. It would be really easy to move a bachelorette by a few weeks, especially when you've already moved your honeymoon to accommodate her wedding!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You’re not horrible! Your friend should understand and if she doesn’t then there’s nothing you can really do about it.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your doing whats needed for your honeymoon and if you feel time is cutting tight. An alternative would be to request from the agent to make it earlier so that you can be relaxed and on time for the wedding to give a hand where needed.
  • Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Absolutely not! I think you are awesome for being so accommodating. Do not feel bad. Enjoy your honeymoon.
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your not a horrible bridesmaid. I have a bridesmaid that lives in the US and she is not able to be here for anything except the wedding and we went dress shopping when she was out for Christmas. We are also going to meet in Vegas during the US Long weekend in May as my FH and I have a concert to go to as well as another friend/bridesmaid as its her 30th Birthday and all of our 30th Birthdays this year. She could be a little more accommodating if she really wants you there!

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No you're not! I don't understand why people can't be accommodating to schedules. I completely understand because you've had yours planned for a while and she probably already knows that. Oh well! Enjoy yourself on your honeymoon! And have fun at both of your weddings.
  • Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all you did everything in your power to make the proper arrangements. and like it has been said the bachelorette is not the most important or important at all as a party of the wedding.

• Kryzia
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all!

Some of my bridesmaids won't be able to attend my bachelorette because one of them is in medical school and the other is doing graduate studies. I don't hold it against them at all! I understand that although my wedding is a special day, people still lead lives outside of it. Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You are not being horrible at all! I think it was very kind of you to move your honeymoon plans to accommodate her wedding in the first place. You will have gone through a lot on your own already planning your wedding and then also being in your friend's. I think missing the bachelorette isn't that big of a deal to be honest. She may feel a little hurt but assure her that you would be there if you could and that you are sad to be missing out.

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not at all!! She may be a bit hurt, but life isn’t perfect and she will get over it!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not at all! You are taking on a lot being in her wedding just months after your own. You changed your plans already to accommodate her plans and that’s already more than most would. If you want a story about a bad bridesmaid check out my post on what my bridesmaid did..
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all. You are up to date on your requirements as a Bridesmaid, from what you say in your message. A bachelorette is nice but really not required, make sure you talk to her about it very soon, and give her a heads up, if its really important to her that you be at it, she does have time to change her plans to include you, but no you are not being a bad bridesmaid. I have stories of a bad bridesmaid that I could tell.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You're not being a horrible friend. You guys had it planned already. I'm sure she will understand.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    All th ladies ar correct. You are not being a terrible bridesmaid. Go on your honeymoon and enjoy yourself. She will have other people around to keep her company during the bachelorette party.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, you're not; you've already moved your honeymoon to accommodate her wedding. The bachelorette party, while nice to be able to attend, isn't mandatory. And, you have a reason; it's not that you just don't show up.

I am in a similar situation; my good friend is getting married two weeks after me and we are in each other's weddings. We didn't have our honeymoon booked yet when she got engaged, but we planned on being gone for 10 days. She originally wanted to get married the week after me, thinking we would be back because she was getting married on Sunday. We were not willing to change our plans, despite other people thinking we should.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally understand, and I think feeling that way shows how much you care. I'd say send your regards and enjoy your honeymoon!

The big day is the one that matters to her (at least it should!), and as long as you're there for the wedding day, she'll be happy to have you standing by her side!

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure she will. Don't worry or stress about it.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No! Not at all!! If you plans were booked first, there's not really anything you can do about it! She should certainly understand about your honeymoon Smiley heart

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've tried to. It's been tougher because they don't plan things as early as I like to. So we didn't know the wedding date until after we had started looking into the honeymoon. I did tell her we were going on our honeymoon for a few weeks but would be back at minimum a week before her wedding. I don't know if she realised I will be literally leaving Sept 1.

I like the idea of the video. I'll see what I can do. I feel badly and guilty but at the same time, I want to be excited for my honeymoon too. Ya know?

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She tends to keep her cards close to her chest so its hard to read if she's upset or not.

Hopefully she'll understand.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like you've done what you can to accommodate their wedding as best as you can. It sounds like you've already told her about your honeymoon plans, and if you've booked it, it's already out of your hands. Do what you can to contribute in other parts of the wedding, and send her your love during the bachelorette.

I was unable to attend a bachelorette for a friend who lives in another country. I made her a little video to be shown to her during the bachelorette so it showed I was thinking about her.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't worry about it too much then. As long as your bride is aware then that's all you can do. As a bride myself, I would be disappointed but I totally understand. As long as you are there with me on my big day missing 1 party isn't a big deal in my opinion. What did your bride say?

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They get into their wet season after September and some parts of the country can have really bad weather.

We've also already booked our plane tickets so Ic an't move much.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No I don't think you are. It's just how things go. Is she aware of your honeymoon dates and plans? If so and she still chooses to do her party then, then it's out of your hands you did the diligent thing in informing her of your own plans. Also you planned your honeymoon before you were asked to be a bridesmaid so you can only re-adjust your schedule/planning so much. As long as you are part of her big day and you are able to carry out your bridesmaid duties, then I believe you are a wonderful bridesmaids. After all you can't and she can't accommodate everyone's schedule. If you or she did then weddings and bachelorette parties would NEVER happen as someone will ALWAYS be inconvenienced by the plans made, be it location, date or timing.

Is November a good month to go honeymooning? or is weather awful then as well? Is that too long of a wait for your honeymoon?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics