Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karen
Expert September 2018 Ontario

Accommodation

Karen, on March 17, 2018 at 00:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of looking for accommodation for my guest. 90% of my guest are from out of town and from outside Canada. That being said I'm curious who pays accommodation? How do you go about asking / telling them where tge accommodation will be? OR if FH and I pays how much roughly does hotels gives as a discount?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Becky, on March 25, 2018 at 18:13
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can call different hotels and ask what price they would give for guests of your wedding. I’ve had friends block off section of the hotel and people can get a discount
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The guests pay for their accommodations.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We put a bunch of hotels on our website. Majority of our guests will have a room at the hotel on site but some will need to probably stay at another one. We put the information for all accommodations on our website including their per night rate. We tried to pick hotels that are different price ranges but all in the same area.
    We aren't paying for anyone's accommodations except we are paying the upgrade fee for our bridal party to make their rooms into suites.
  • Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We sent our invites already but I am using the website so I'll have to make announcement about it there.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can book a block of rooms at a hotel (or hotels) for a discounted rate and your guests just need to call and say they are booking under your block. There is no obligation for the bride and groom to pay for guest accommodations for the wedding. We sent all our guests an e-mail giving them the name of the hotel at which we had a block of rooms and people called on their own. We checked in with the hotel every once in a while to see if we needed to add more rooms.

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much. 😊
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This isn't something you need to pay for. You can add some recommended, conveniently located hotel options to your wedding website for your guests to choose from, and/or you can arrange a hotel block for your guests, but ultimately booking and paying for their accommodation is up to each guest.

Here are some articles that might help:

7 Essential Questions You Need to Answer Before Reserving Hotel Room Blocks

9 Things to Think About When Choosing Your Wedding Guest Accommodations

5 Things to Tell Your Out-of-Town Wedding Guests

And, best of all, WeddingWire has a hotel block planner!! - Hotel Planner

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Not In my budget at all esp the amount of guest that are from out of town. But j like the basket idea, that I can do.Thanks
  • Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Most my guest (90%) are from out of town. So i think it'll affect the amount of ppl coming to the wedding. We can't afford to pay accomodation. I'll just gotta hunt for the best deal in my town.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is about an hour outside where all our guests live. So we will set up a hotel block, some peot suggested that we pay for them but that is way to much money. My fiance and I live in BC so we have an expensive trip to pay for ourselves, plus the wedding so luckily our guests understand.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't pay for OOT guests accommodations because it can get quite costly. I would do a room block at several different priced hotels to give them options/ideas of where to stay. You could have the details about hotel accommodations in an insert with the invitations or on your wedding website.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it’s in your budget create welcome baskets for your guests to be in the rooms once they arrive. The basket may have treats, toiletries that they may have forgotten, a map/brochure of something touristy, and a personal note from you to them, thanking them for celebrating with you. Maybe even make it connected to your wedding theme. You don’t have to go all out but it is a nice gesture.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It would depend on the bride and groom, normally the guests would pay their own hotel rooms. Contact the hotel for a group block, they will be able to give you a quote for room rates

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ok that clears things up. I was beginning to worry about paying the accommodations on top of this wedding. Now I can breath. Thank you
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can contact hotels and block off rooms for your wedding. Anyone who reserves there will get a discounted rate. Guests are expected to pay for themselves, and I think most people know this and expect to pay. We have a wedding website and have on the site where we have blocked rooms and how people can book a room (by mentioning our names and wedding).

I have also seen this information on the back of invitations.

We chose to block rooms at a 3 star and 4 star hotel since guests have different spending habits.

We had also looked into the local universities as a cheaper option. Since our wedding is in the summer, most dorms aren't in use so the university will rent them out. We found it wasn't much cheaper than a hotel though and in our case was further from the venue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics