Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalia
Curious August 2018 Ontario

6 months until wedding - i have no wedding dress - Help.

Natalia, on February 2, 2018 at 15:04 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 26

Hey all,

So, I am a 6ft bride in the middle of weight loss (expecting to go down 1-2 sizes) by August, and I have not even started looking at dresses (only booked first 2 appointments this weekend).

How screwed am I? and how likely am I to find something under 1000?

I'm starting to worry because everywhere I reach out I'm basically given a flat-out, 'nope', you need 6-9 months.

I'm a size 12, and I want a ballgown/a-line with sleeves. No alternatives.

Any recommendations? Places to check out first? What to avoid?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Jackie, on February 15, 2018 at 22:43
  • Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was just at David’s Bridal this past weekend looking for shoes. Omg the brides! Millions of them. Anyways you can for sure get a dress on budget and in time for your wedding but make an appointment. Don’t just walk in.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was at the London one! I didn't end up getting a dress that day, but there was lots of selection and the staff was awesome! The best part is that if you buy a dress, you take it home, but if you need alterations done, you have to find someone.

• Fewster
    Beginner July 2020 Ontario
    Fewster ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You live decently close to St Catharines if your profile is still correct and you live in Milton our store us in St Catharines Ontario it's called Annette's Bridal we could definitely find you something under $1,000 off the rack
    If you'd like to give us a call and maybe book an appointment our phone number is 289 362 1576 we have plenty of orderable and off the rack gowns so we can get you some of them could be ordered with a rush to make sure it comes in time depending on when your wedding date is
  • Fewster
    Beginner July 2020 Ontario
    Fewster ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You're cutting it really close I would try to find your gown on one of these first appointments as a bridal consultant who works in a bridal store usually you generally want to buy your dress at least 8 months before the wedding it sometimes can take 4 to 6 months for address to come in. Lots of bridal stores have off the rack options I know we do we even sell some of our orderable gowns two Brides if they fit decently well

You still have time but you're cutting it really close I would look at getting something off the rack to ease your stress of whether or not the dress will come in on time
  • Natalia
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you all you beautiful and wonderful ladies for the numerous recommendations - I promise I will get back to all your responses!

We have recently had a family death so I am not keeping track of weddingwire for a little bit.

I have gone to David's Bridal - though I didn't find anything that I liked on me enough to say 100% yes. Right now at least I saw some back-ups there. I have a few appointments still lined up for next weekend (24th-25th), and I'll let you guys know how those go. Here's hoping it's ok!

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got my dress from David's Bridal too and it took about 6 weeks to come in when they said it would take around 6 months, i think is very dependant on whether they have it at their warehouse. Good luck with shopping and once you have let us know.

• E
    Newbie April 2019 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this option yet, a new pop up store has arrived in Ontario this year called bridals direct, I saw it in Hamilton at upper James and the linc, it’s a off the rack discount designer dress shop with apparently some pretty great discounts! I think they’re on Facebook and they have a website maybe that will help!
  • Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I recently got my dress at avenue 22 in Toronto. They had told me that the dress will take 4 months to come in. However they also had ALOT of off the rack stuff at 50% off, if you’re open to that option. I think it’s doable !!
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hope your appointment goes well today. Let us know.
    I got my dress from David’s bridal. I found the service was great. I got my dress in 3 weeks even though they said it would take months. It was on sale when I bought it too so it was under $1000.
  • Bridget
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Bridget ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat as well! Hoping to find a nice "one of" dress!

• Brittany
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a bridal shop and tried on a few dresses to get an idea of shapes/silhouettes and ended up falling in love with one dress. However, I didn't have enough time to order it, so I checked out stillwhite.ca and found the dress used! I got it in one week and now I have lots of time to get alterations, etc. The website is a verified wedding dress re-sale site and it has lots of protections and safeties for ordering before trying on. I would 100% recommend it!

Hope that helps!

• Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dress is being special made for me. at a small local shop here in oakville. the final price was 1300.That includes everything. I was actually just walking by and seen a dress in the window I liked went in to try it on and ended up with something totally different .I was so happy with the lady that owns the shop.

Her name is Nina Duong. the store is Nina Duong Haute Coutre it is located on 2344 lake shore rd west, oakville Ontario, L6L 1H5. her phone number is 905 582 4300 or email her at ****@*********.*** she also has a web site www.ninaduong.com

she will work with you.

• Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn’t end up purchasing my dress from the pop up wedding sale. That day I had gone so I could get an idea of what size I was. I then went shopping with my girls and found a dress. Got no help from the clerk. My daughters pick the dresses for me to try on and helped me in and out of the dresses. I was very disappointed with “ Visions in White” in Guelph but still love the dress.
    Davids Bridal has terrible customer service and makes it fun to shop their. Just not sure what the lead time is on getting the dress you want. Make sure to let them know when your wedding is going to be.
    Have fun and good luck.
  • Natalia
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's sooooooooo beautiful! And so close to what I want! I'm holding my breath for David's - my appointment is on the 10th, so here's hoping!

• Natalia
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's amazing! I have an appointment with them on the 10th, so here's hoping! Thank you!

• Natalia
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! It's been a hectic week trying to set up appointments, I will definitely check these out!

• Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are on Facebook check out: Pop up wedding dress sales. See attached photos
    You also maybe able to just google it.

i went to one one two weeks ago or so in Guelph. It was fantastic. They are so organized and helpful. It was such a good experience. You’ve got to go try them out.

6 months until wedding - i have no wedding dress - Help. 1

6 months until wedding - i have no wedding dress - Help. 2

6 months until wedding - i have no wedding dress - Help. 3
  • A
    Newbie April 2018 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Check out Davids bridal they are pretty good. They also have different price points.

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to David's bridal. Tons of options under $1,000. Infact, my dress was $799! The dresses also come in super fast. I had mine within a month after ordering.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most bridal shops can put a rush on a dress, although that is for an added cost. You can also buy off the rack which will be cheaper. There are some consignment stores that are cheaper, if you're okay with a second hand dress. Not sure where you live, but there is a store in Toronto and one in St. Jacobs where the proceeds of your dress go to cancer research (I can't remember either name at the moment).

• Kellie
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Kellie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ordered my dress from David's Bridal on September 30th, 2017 and it was available for pick up on October 10th, 2017. I didn't rush order it or anything!

My dress is similar to what you described and it's on sale now! I would definitely go check them out! You can also order the dresses with extra length!

Best of luck!

My Dress6 months until wedding - i have no wedding dress - Help. 4

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ordered my dress in April and got married in September.

I was lucky enough to find a dress that was in my size,style and was ready to ship. Had it by July 16th.

Some places will be able to do a rush order for certain dresses, but that costs extra.

Have you looked into wedding dress buy and sells? Stillwhite.ca is wicked. You can even get brand new dresses on there for a fraction of the price and no 6 months waiting period.

• Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check out BHLDN.com. I’m having a 5 month engagement and ordered by dress online. It arrived within two weeks and is beautiful. Plus, I now have four months for alterations.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was worried about this as I got engaged and will be getting married within a 9 month period. I got engaged in late June and went at the end of July to look for dresses, I ordered one the day I tried them on and it arrived by December (so 5 months). The lady called the designer though to make sure I wouldn't have any problems.

A good option though to relieve some stress is that there are lots of salons that have sample sizes which you can take home right off the rack. It may limit you in your choices, but there are still plenty of options, especially since size 12 is most sample sizes! One suggestion is to go to a bigger salon where they will have many "take home" dresses for you. That way you don't have to worry about ordering and you'll still have lots of time to get alterations (anyone can take in a dress, but it's harder to take it out) so definitely just buy the size you're in now Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you can make a rush order but they usually charge extra for that. I wish you the best of luck!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Check out online shops. You can get custom sized dresses in your length for under $500. Azazie.com has some nice ones or coco melody.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics