Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

365 (1 year) until the big day!

Tori, on October 5, 2018 at 09:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 23

So.... as you can see by the title - I have exactly one year until the big day! And of course, I've got some questions as to how far along I should be because I didn't think that I would wake up thinking that I am behind and stressed about the wedding.... but I did.

How much should I have done? Is there anything that I should have booked already that I don't? (I have the venue, food catering, photographer, officiant. We are in talks with a DJ for both the social and the wedding, and have good friends that own a bar business but nothing in writing.)

Also - was there any point in the 1 year until that you were finally relaxed? When and why?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Casey, on October 9, 2018 at 13:22
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are moving right along! I hit my 1 year mark on Oct 4 and had the same thoughts. I don't think it was until today that I feel like I am on track. Once I booked all the big important things I felt a little more relaxed.

You seem to have all the big things done or in the works of completing them, and that is amazing! I would work on hair and makeup next, and then start getting an idea of style of dresses/colours for your girls and same for the guys, then you can look into flowers.

Have you looked into Save The Dates? or started looking at invitations?

Other than that you are well on your way. I have far too many lists going, so I keep going back and forth with those and seeing what can be done sooner rather than later

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m sure you will be able to relax soon! I find that the more planning gets done, the less I care about if it’s perfect or not. I just want to get to that day!
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice! That's what I did with my second shop, I went in not expecting to fall in love with a dress but I did... with 2! I ended up going with one over the other because it made me feel more "bridal"!

My high school prom/grad was a 5 store experience lol

A year is still a lot of time, but I feel like the time is going by so fast!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well that's good to hear! lol we got engaged in December 2017 as well!! Don't suppose it was the 30th eh?

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will definitely be taking this and merging it with the one that I have made! lol thanks!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that you're right on that. A lot of the stress would be gone if I at least had it in writing... And I will take the idea of a month off (December of course!).

You are so right - the research is a killer! You have to contact half a dozen of each thing and get prices, what they would cover/do, if they are even available, etc. and then go back to the FH to see what he thinks!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The venue has a few cabins - one of them being a honeymoon suite for two Smiley laugh

Downtime is something that I haven't really scheduled but I mean if it's for before the wedding, then I'm busy working FT and in school PT... if you mean for the day of the wedding then I'm sure that as long as I pace myself with the alcohol then I will be able to enjoy it to the fullest Smiley xd

Hair and MUA is something I completely forgot about though! I was thinking of reaching out to a friend who is an amateur MUA but then again I could always do it myself? Hmmmm....

And early congrats on your 6 month mark coming up in a couple weeks!!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For sure, I think other than securing a few more vendors (DJ & Alcohol), I will just focus on the wedding social now.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Crazy right??? It's still so far away but getting to this milestone is crazy!

First appointment for dress shopping is actually coming up - I will be going on the 20th! Of course I'm trying to keep my expectations low because I don't want to go in thinking I will fall in love with one and then not... I mean when I went shopping for a High School Graduation dress a few years ago I ended up going to at least 3 stores.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good way of looking at it, I will try and have everything in writing by 10 months too. Thanks Smiley smile

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Got my first appointment now scheduled for the 20th! As for a baker; I would be fine with a cake from Costco even Smiley tongue

But thanks for reassuring me that I'm on track! Can't believe it's under a year and that we have been engaged for 9 months! CRAZY!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol I'm sure once I have my dress and DJ... and alcohol.... and guest list done... then the stress will subside for at least a little while before I start freaking out about decor.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes for sure - I went back and edited my discussion, we actually do have our photographer all set up Smiley smile

As for dresses I have my first appointment booked for the 20th!!! So excited!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged at the end of December 2017, and we are getting married January 2019. Booking our venue was the first thing we did, around the end of January this year.... almost all wedding timelines give a 10-12 month guide... If you've done stuff before the one year mark? You're way ahead of schedule!!

I'm 104 days, 15 weeks, away from our wedding, and I have SO MUCH TO DO. Centrepieces, signs, my fiance's tux, groomsmen rentals, song playlists, cake planning, transportation, accommodations, wedding bands, alterations, accessories, etc..... !!!!!!! Trust me, you're doing fine Smiley laugh

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is the timeline that I used to help keep me on track! Kind of hard to see...

365 (1 year) until the big day! 1
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you're well on your way! I found hair and make up to fill up quickly actually. I booked mine 6 months in advance and we were already the second wedding of the day; almost didn't get everyone in at the same time.

I would also recommend getting it in writing for your friends that own the bar business.

I was only engaged for 9 months but I took a break over Christmas (basically the entire month of December!) and didn't feel stressed after. I think what takes the most time is researching, meeting, and deciding your vendors. As long as you don't keep changing your mind with other decisions (dress, decor, timeline) I think things will be fairly smooth from here on out!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sounds like your on the right track.
    I find that the checklists on WW and A Practical Wedding have been great for me so far.

Where are you staying after the wedding? Are you going to reserve a hotel room or go straight on your honeymoon?

Have you scheduled downtime?

Hair and makeup?

For me I think I’ll feel a bit calmer once we’ve booked our caterer and welcome dinner location....we’re a bit behind but we’re on track to catch up soon.

Congrats on your 1 year mark! You can do this!
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you are on the ball if not ahead! We only had a one year engagement and I had the venue booked a couple weeks later. I’ve had weeks at a time that I wasn’t doing wedding stuff and wasn’t stressed over the summer. I started to stress in September a bit. I’m now a week away and only have a few things left to do so not feeling stressed!

Honestly whatever you can get out of the way early definitely do! The last thing I wanted to was to be scrambling the week of the wedding.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you are right on the ball, our wedding 1 year is in two weeks!

I think the next steps would be to secure a DJ and bar service. But you have most of the big things booked already.

Have you thought about dress shopping yet? I would also start looking if you haven't already since dresses can take up to 6 months to come in. Mine came in 4 but I'm not starting alterations until the new year.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WAHOO!!! 1 year!!!! how exciting!

You have a lot booked which is awesome! I personally booked a DJ after the venue. but I wanted a particular dj. (they also do coordination services). so I wanted that done. the only thing we have left to book is the florist. I personally wanted everything booked between 1 year and 10 months because I wanted to pay money towards things each month (i'm better to just give the vendors money instead of saving). and in my area...things book early. and I didn't want to have to go with a vendor just because they were all that's left.

you have most important thing booked. the officiant. because without them no marriage Smiley smile

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should start your search for a wedding dress soon and also a florist and a baker for your cake/cupcakes. Some dresses can take a long time to come in, and some florists only take on one or 2 weddings in a weekend depending on order size. If your doing fake flowers, you can always start to order those in to perfect the look and colour you want. You’re doing great for being one year out!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me, I felt relaxed around 11 months, then at 10 months (now) the stress has returned! I hope there’s a moment when the stress stops lol.
  • Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged May 2017 and booked our venue in June. I got my dress in November, and then we didn’t search too much until February when we booked our photographer and DJ. I was also stressed because I didn’t know when to book vendors but, at least in Montreal, vendors seemed really laid back - I remember some florists telling me in February that I was too early. We secured most of our vendors in May and June 2018 for our September wedding. I was even booking some vendors as late as August. But, I would say it’s never too early to start looking. At the 1 year mark, you could look into wedding dresses and the photographer?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics