Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Clinton Lynch
Curious December 2020 British Columbia

Your thoughts on being "selfish" for a hot minute...

Clinton Lynch, on March 13, 2021 at 11:07 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17

I read, speak with and engage with couples on here who seem to be planning a wedding for everyone else "but" themselves.

It's clear to me we all have a hearts of gold, but it seems like it is hard for some to say "no"...

... or make the choice that rightfully puts them first!

Like, it's still possible to have a wedding right now but you'll probs have to cull or cut.

Original plans may need amending, and guests numbers shrunk.

We all want perfect day, but that can be made and perceived in many ways.

And when it's all said and done, isn't it YOUR love and happiness above all?

I wonder if the stress, uncertainty, and all the depressing feelings, would simply slip and slide away from doing what's right for you?

Because it certainly seems like the global scene gives us a golden opportunity to do so.

What happy sacrifices, if any, have you had to make to get to your wedding day feeling good?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Clinton Lynch, on March 22, 2021 at 10:22
  • Clinton Lynch
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well said, Vinod. Appreciate you.

• Clinton Lynch
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Appreciate this, Tracey.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wedding planning seems to have all of the feelings that you don't want to experience. Whether its the couple alone or with the help of parents, it all does add the stress from family, friends or the wedding party itself. In some ways, we all go through this knowing feelings will be defeated or agreed depending on what is being arranged.
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your wedding is about you and your partner...forget everyone else. That being said, I'm a people pleaser and have lived my life for everyone else. My fiance has worked hard for me to try to do more for us than others which include wedding planning. We have cut out guests, postponed, changed from venue to back yard, and I've been stressed, depressed and a mess. But I know it is our day and trying my best to concentrate on the OUR wedding day...suggest you do to.

As long as you and your fiance have the wedding you want, that's all that counts. Good luck.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have a small venue booked, if it were earlier on the year is probably move it outside to be safer but October is too cold. I love the venue, I really hope we can take masks off to eat appetizers by then!
  • Clinton Lynch
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And to you, too.
    No stress is the best stress Smiley smile

• Clinton Lynch
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good on you Smiley smile

And it IS a bit of a balancing act, right. Especially Mums... Smiley smile Dad's (like me), just secretly want what's best for our daughters and couldn't really care about the fluff... as long as she's happy Smiley smile

Good luck with the reception Smiley smile Are you doing a venue? Backyard? How are you kicking it??

• Clinton Lynch
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's so true...

Being able to make it about you with no recourse is kind of the blessing in all this.

Has that meant you've managed to cut your wedding #'rs down to make it work? Or still proceeding for something bigger, but waiting?? i.e. restrictions to lift?

• Clinton Lynch
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that quasi *egalitarian* approach with the firmness of it being your day. Personally, thats how I thought about it too Smiley smile

• S
    Frequent user February 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is for me. That eans getting married to my spouse is for me. But if my bridesmaids want to all have different style dresses in the same colour. Yep go ahead. If they want to wear flats vs heels. Its a long day. Do that. If my mom wants to invite her 3 best friends. Please do. And so on. I dont have a lot of people telling me what to do. But i also know most of the people surrounding me are the people who shaped me as i have grown. It is a day for my family and friends. They are extra happy for me. Im not trying to please eveeyone, but maybe im just easy going.
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Something I’ve loved about planning with Covid is being able to not offend people when we can’t invite them in person!
    Imagine a couple years ago telling someone that legal numbers are filled but they can watch online?
    Lol people would have been offended. But now people are like ‘Thank you for including us! Can’t wait to share in your special day!’ And it’s been the perfect safety net for people who invite themselves to the wedding! Instead of telling them they can’t come, we can easily invite them to watch over zoom and everyone is happy.
    It’s also really put into perspective who is important in our lives
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think for a lot of couples it's their day, but also a monumental moment for parents, grandparents, or important friends and family. So it becomes extra hard to say no when one of those people suggests something or has an opinion because they're invested or their so excited you don't want to hurt feelings.

My husband and I were already ready to say no to a lot of things, but covid made it sooo much easier. We're hoping to have our reception this year and we plan to be just as stubborn Smiley smile
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One positive thing I hope comes out of the pandemic is that people will stop caring as much about what others think of their weddings and just do what they want. There is such a huge amount of pressure put on couples by family and friends and the wedding industry to spend tons of money on things they may not want or need, not to break any "rules" as to who you invite, to find the perfect wedding dress that makes you cry, lose weight, etc. I wonder how many people would choose to do these things if there were no expectations.

A happy sacrifice we made for our November wedding was that we got married with just 10 people present (us, officiant, photographer, my husband's immediate family, and two friends). My family unfortunately couldn't come due to restrictions but had they been there in addition to the 10 it would have been my ideal ceremony. I never wanted a normal wedding and would have been happy to elope but my husband is a bit more traditional and really wanted a big wedding. The pandemic obviously forced us to postpone our 100 person reception (new date TBD) but we decided that what was most important to us was that we got married, whether that be with 100 guests, or our immediate families, or just us.

• Lorraine
    Beginner July 2021 Alberta
    Lorraine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with you for sure. I don’t chat or ask questions on here to much anymore because some people have always have something to say. It drives me crazy. I know people are asking but people don’t need to be know it all’s all the time. I am not stressing we have been together for so long already and I am not getting hung up on the little things. I hope all the best for everyone.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I mean, on the one hand you have people who spent tens of thousands of dollars already in deposits that are locked with no way out. I feel for them, especially during times when a lot of people have lost their jobs or had their income severely impacted from the pandemic. So they're either stuck trying to get an experience they paid for, which is pandemic doesn't allow at the moment, or go forward with something that's not their money's worth. In times when every dollar counts, it's tiring.

On the other, the wedding industry has been heavily influencing societal expectations on what a wedding should be. You can apply logic to it as much as you want but it's really hard to kick that mentality to the curb for some, regardless of the circumstances in the world. If you think what you see here is overly dramatic, you should see what people say on wedding-based Facebook groups or subreddits because what we have here on Weddingwire (especially the Canadian side) is tame lol.

• Clinton Lynch
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your comment, Hank, all great points and I respect your input here bud.

I guess I read people fretting, stressed out and “hoping” for the best, with a looming date or responsibilities fast approaching.
    At what point is enough, enough? Like, prioritising peace of mind and fun in the process vs. hanging on for everyone else...?
    More of a thought from me than a question to you. But if you have a thought on this, love to hear it.
    🙏
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What happy sacrifices, if any, have you had to make to get to your wedding day feeling good?

I think you'll see different people do different things. Some will push their wedding as far as they can in order to achieve their "dream" aesthetic. Some will remain true to the idea that a marriage ultimately belongs to and is made by two people. Different strokes for different folks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics