Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Your Engagement Ring: Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself??

Lynnie, on September 11, 2017 at 13:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 53

How did you guys handle engagement ring shopping?? Were you totally in the dark and surprised by the ring? Did your fiance check your pinterest boards, or ask one of your best friends, or ask you directly (or indirectly Smiley laugh )? Did you go shopping together and have lots of input?

Share what you did, why, and how it worked out!!! Oh, and definitely share a picture of your ring as well Smiley heart

Photo from Jacob Mercadi

Photo from Jacob Mercari in Toronto!

For ring shopping tips from the experts, check out Engagement Rings 101 and 6 Major Ring Shopping Don'ts !

53 Comments

Latest activity by Cathrine, on February 6, 2018 at 15:11
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went to pick it out together. He was so relieved when i kinda of messed up his proposal plans but jumping the gun and bringing it up myself because he was seriously stressing out about picking out a ring to surprise me with.

We went to Spence Diamonds. My intention was fact finding, see what's out there and what they cost. His intention, i would leave with a ring.

I love it so much. He took the lead on picking out the diamond, i picked out the ring part.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s lovely! Super sweet how you’ve been best friends for so long too 🙃
  • Kathleen
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Kathleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Total Surprise!Your Engagement Ring:  Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself?? 1

It was a total surprise, however, he got our mutual best friend to help him pick it out. She works at a jewellery store. She was showing him rings, but when he saw the Disney collection he jumped at it. It's the "Belle" ring. He proposed with "Tale as Old as Time" because I'm such a disney fanatic. He was still glancing at other rings when she took it and was already polishing and packing it for him. Smiley tongue

My best friend of 11 years, and boyfriend of 7 (will be almost 9 when we get married!) will be getting married October 12, 2019 Smiley heart

• Brittany
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We always knew we’d get married and I had spent him pictures cause he always asked. For our first anniversary he gave me a promise ring (which we’ve had reset into the wedding band!)

last May we went to the same jeweller my mom and Dad had gone to see for my moms ring 30 years ago, and picked out the stone and and the setting. I only saw it in a pear shape, but knew I wanted oval. So I never saw it until it was done, I didn’t know when he was going to propose or when he had it even (he had to pay it off first.) but then for our 3rd anniversary in September he popped the question.

Your Engagement Ring:  Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself?? 2
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love this!how special
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We looked at rings really early on in our relationship. I’m not a jewellery person and for my first birthday together he bought me a beautiful gold necklace with an emerald. It totally opened my eyes to loving gold jewellery. We were looking at rings one day and the lady pointed us to the ring she pegged to be the one. She was exactly right. A few months later he proposed with the ring. I couldn’t be happier!

Your Engagement Ring:  Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself?? 3
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We were helped by Joe and Tina! They were both amazing!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My engagement ring was his grandmother's engagement ring. She was engaged when her and my fiance's grandfather met and the day they met he says "I'm going to marry her" well eventually she broke of her first engagement and the day she did he went out and bought this ring and then eventually proposed to her. Best part is that she ended up losing the oriy diamond in it so they took the diamond from her first engagement ring and put it in this one. They nicknamed the ring "The Forever Ring" meaning once it's in, it's on forever!

What makes having this ring so special to me is that she sadly passed away earlier this year. Now I have a part of her with me everyday and at our wedding too.

Your Engagement Ring:  Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself?? 4
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ll check them out! That’s a good idea to pick 3. I never thought about that in order to keep it a surprise!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your ring! I picked mine as well.... Well actually I picked 3 and he picked 1 of the 3!!! Was so awesome! I have crazy attention to detail and it took me a while to pick the right store! The place we went to La Boutique Del Gioello in Vaughan!!! Check them out.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg! I love yours as well its Perfect! So delicate!! So classy!!
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love the solitaire and dainty band.

• Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love love love

• Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was a psycho girlfriend... I would literally get estimates on websites like brilliant earth, but input my FH's email instead of my own (LOL). Pretty much all of the ones I showed him were yellow gold with a bezel set pear shaped white diamond.

My ring is yellow gold and pear shaped but he TOTALLLLY surprised me with the rest! He has a client at work who is a jeweller, and ended up getting this beauuuutiful peach/pink diamond pear shaped ring with the most unique diamond halo. Its different than any ring I've seen and ****% my style. I would never even THINK to ask for something like this, but I'm sure glad he did lol.

He worked with his sister/the jeweller to design something just for me (inspired by an Australian jewellery company).

BEST part was the certificate showing it was ethically made Smiley heart most important factor for me.

The perfect ring. Your Engagement Ring:  Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself?? 5

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

100% surprise Smiley smile had NO IDEA he planned to propose nvm the fact that he had bought and picked out the ring, sneaky!

14691017_10154542702954590_9149926400984

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re currently in the middle of picking a ring for me. He proposed to me 6 weeks ago in Mexico and wanted me to pick my ring due to my attention to detail!

UNFORTUNATELY, we are having a difficult time finding a ring due to some poor service from a popular jewellery company in Toronto. It’s times like these I wish he just picked one out for me!
  • Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Custom made surprise but I did drop hints on occasion about what I liked. Smiley smile

• Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Custom made surprise, he kept telling me he designed it and since he's not a good drawer I thought it would be ugly, but I love it! 💍

Your Engagement Ring:  Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself?? - 1
  • Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When we talked about wedding rings/engagement all I said is that I would love one day to have a thin band because my fingers are not tiny, a gold band preferrably and my borthstone somewhere. Rest was a complete surprised and he got it custom made and asked my mom if i'd like it before proposing to me
  • Lynnie
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love the rose gold Smiley heart

• Lynnie
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh I love custom rings! I can't wait to see what they look like!

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All the rings are so pretty; my FH had me go around and try some in stores to get my ring figure, and would ask “you think it’s pretty”. The ring was exactly what I wanted the proposal was a total surprised cuz we always talked about getting married way in the future.

• Larissa Lauzon
    Frequent user August 2020 Nova Scotia
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I picked mine without realizing it lol - I fell in love with it in the store and he snuck back in and bought it for me ❤

Your Engagement Ring:  Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself?? - 1
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All these rings are stunning!!

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you very much!!!! I hate that I have to wait until next May to wear it!!!!
  • JENNIFER
    Frequent user December 2017 Ontario
    JENNIFER ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We looked at rings online a few times. We both knew we wanted rose gold I wanted 3 stones or a halo and he wanted a solitaire. One day we decided to go and look at Spence where we were free to try on as we went. We both picked out various styles and the one we ended up picking wasn’t at all what either of us thought we’d get. I love that the one we got was one that he picked out. We ended up picking the diamond and ordering the same day. He proposed about a month after he got the ring. It drove me nuts waiting haha. The diamond looks blue in the photo where he’s holding my hand because it was reflecting the sky on the day he proposed Smiley smile

Your Engagement Ring:  Total Surprise, Some Input, or Picked it Out Yourself?? - 2
  • Gabriella
    Curious November 2018 Alberta
    Gabriella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is beautiful and so unique! Love how the layers look

• H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancee and I picked her ring out together. She has a very particular style and a lot of allergies to metal, so it was a bit of a challenge. She is having mine custom made, so I know what kind of style it will be in, but not exactly what it looks like.

We are going to do actual proposals in a few months' time.

• Jenn
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé did the whole "my buddy wants a female opinion on an engagement ring for his girlfriend". So I had some input, but was definitely surprised

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was completely surprised. my fiancé picked my ring out all by himself and when i went in the get it sized, the lady who helped him told me that he looked at almost every single ring in the store! it's so funny because my ring is pretty different from anything i thought i would ever have, buts it's so perfect, it's my style and looks so great on my finger, he could not have picked a better ring!

• Charlotte
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Better photo! I was very excited lol

• Charlotte
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé had very clear pointers as to what I would like. Eg. Thin band because I have very skinny fingers (size 5) , a touch of rose gold because all white gold my hand look dry lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics