Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Will you toss the bouquet and garter?

Joey, on October 31, 2017 at 07:53 Posted in Wedding reception 0 21

I'm curious to know how you feel about these classic wedding traditions. Will you be tossing the bouquet to the unmarried female guests? Will you be tossing the garter to the unmarried male guests? Will the catchers have a dance together? Are you doing a modified version of these traditions, or will you skip them?

Will you toss the bouquet and garter? 1

Photo by Expressions Entertainment in Brandon, Manitoba

21 Comments

Latest activity by Sonia, on November 8, 2017 at 18:50
  • Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re skippig cake too, the hall we are going with charges an extra 7$ per person to serve cake. We’ll have our sweet tables and that should satisfy everyone lol
  • A
    Newbie June 2019 Alberta
    Angie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats a neat idea
  • Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not a fan of my future husband going under my dress in front of my family and friends lol and I definitely want to keep my bouquet and the garter so I’m thinking we’ll just get cheaper and smaller versions to throw. My cousin did it and I find it went well
  • Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was planning on doing bouquet toss but I didn't want to do garter toss because I don't want anyone going under my dress in public. I also liked the idea of giving something to a guy for good luck. Also my cousin kicked off her shoes and her dress hiked too high when she caught my sister's bouquet at her wedding....so I wanted to avoid the "tossing". I decided that I'll hand out balloons to all the single men and single ladies, and the one who pops a balloon with white confetti will get the bouquet (ladies) and the bowtie (gents).
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing either. We have very few single friends, and I don't really like either of these traditions. We are also skipping the cake cutting, because neither of us really enjoy cake very much. We both think we are traditional, and we are in other ways. We are not seeing each other before the ceremony and he is planning the honeymoon.

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think we will. The history of the garter toss is very sexist and my FH doesn't want to do that in front of guests! Phewwww! We weren't going to throw the bouquet but my neice really wants me to do it! So now I'm trying to figure out how to include the little boys in all this. Some may like the flowers but we wanted to make sure that we could throw something for the little guys too so they don't feel left out.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You can ask your florist to create a throw away bouquet. It's much smaller and way more inexpensive.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes!!! I am into traditional things a lot!! Definitely important for me and my fiancé to do the tosses! I am actually super excited about them.
  • Charlene
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Charlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll toss the bouquet only because my bridesmaids really want me too hehe but absolutely not having or throwing a garter. It'll make me feel super uncomfortable in front of all the family.
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't think we would do them... but we did. definitely fun!!

• Jessica
    Frequent user July 2018 Nova Scotia
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not doing either, I find them silly and just don't want to do it

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I second this Jodi! The bridal bouquet costs like an arm and a leg. However, I am still thinking about doing a toss, because my fiancé and I live in Ontario and the wedding is happening in Alberta.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were going to do the bouquet toss, but a lot of the single ladies ended up leaving before it, so we just scratched it. I don't think anyone missed it, and I didn't even wear a garter... if I did though, we still wouldn't have done one because we had our church friends there and that would have been very uncomfortable.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did not do those; I didn’t even wear a garter. The bouquet was put in a vase of water and we got to enjoy the flowers a few days longer.
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing both of these. I'm having a smaller "toss" bouquet made up specifically for this reason. And we're having the garter toss, but it won't be until later in the evening.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wee skipped these..I kept my bouquet and I didn't wear a garter.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We totally skipped these "traditions".

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped these
  • Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know-- I likely wont do either- especially since my bouquet is so expensive lol I don't want to just throw it away. haha

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope! Skipping both of these!
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I absolutely will not do a garter toss. I may do a bouquet toss, but I think it's more likely I'll just do a dedication bouquet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics